5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking to purchase a Ram, concern about future value

dannydyn

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just wanted to hear new owners' opinion, particularly those who purchased a new truck within the past year: did you or do you have any concerns about what the future value of your trucks will be given the slowly but surely transition to EVs?

I'm hesitant to get one, afraid that 5-7 years down the road the truck will be nearly worthless if electric pick-up cars start gaining steam. I know the same holds to just about any combustion vehicle on the road, but trucks are special animal in the sense they are major gas guzzlers. Imagine the slump in sales and demand for combustion trucks once EV trucks becomes prevalent and reasonably priced. Some countries have already started banning combustion engine production 2-3 years from now.

Thoughts?

saylor

Reaction score
ill tell ya straight up in DFW for a 2015crewcab 75k mi i got $20k check from autonation.
tomorrow i get a check from carvana for $28.5k for a 2016 f150 supercrew with 26k mi.

dannydyn

Reaction score
ill tell ya straight up in DFW for a 2015crewcab 75k mi i got $20k check from autonation.
tomorrow i get a check from carvana for $28.5k for a 2016 f150 supercrew with 26k mi.

That's today, but what about 5 years down the road when it's time to sell a 2020 1500?

bman77

Reaction score
I truly don't think it will be a drop off and gas vehicles will all of a sudden become worthless. While every manufacturer out there is looking to go the EV route in the next few years, the charging station structure will not be there or in the capacity it needs to be. You also have to look at price and I think EV alone will be a hard sell since it could drastically increase the cost of the vehicle. I mean look at the price we are paying for our trucks now with gas engines, strip out the engine and it is still an expensive vehicle.

I may be a little bias on fuel driven air pumps to be honest but if a company dropped gas and went completely EV, I would think that the resale of their gas vehicle would go up. Especially in rural areas or areas with only a few charging stations.

Moparian

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Even the guy who sells nothing but EV's said this country doesnt have the infrastructure to support 100% ev usage in 14 years. I wouldnt worry about resale values or if you are really worried about it buy used. Trucks will always be in demand and Ram has been killing the game lately, the more people buy these trucks the more the demand will rise in the future. We are at least another 30-50 years away from ICE being completely abolished.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Countries might ban combustion-engine production, but that doesn't mean they'll phase the vehicles out. That won't happen for another 20-30 years at least. Especially here in the US, you've got to consider people with trucks wanting range. Sure an EV truck with 300 miles of range will work for me personally 90% of the time, but when I have to haul a boat or trailer I don't want to deal with a 90 minute charge time for 150 miles of range. I'll stick with gas where I can fill up in 5 minutes.

It's going to take A LOT to make EV trucks mainstream in the US.

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
From the analysis I looked at prior to buying my RAM four months ago, the 5th gen RAMs are expected to hold their value pretty well. Similar to Fords or even a little better. For some reason GM hold their value the best out of the domestics (Toyota is highest). Also remember that you get a lot more for your money with RAM. It seems that the popular trims (Big Horn, XLT, LT, etc.) depreciate more than the higher trims as a percent. In Sept I bought a brand new Laramie for $1500 less than a two year old Lariat with comparable features and almost $30k miles.

IF (and that is a BIG IF) gas powered trucks lose a lot of value due to the switch to EV, it will happen with all trucks. For me, I don't see much of a difference in 5 year depreciation of 37% for Toyota vs 40% for GM vs 42% for Ford and RAM. That is about $3000, if that, over 5 years. And the upfront cost for a comprable vehicle is quite a bit less with RAM than the others.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
From the analysis I looked at prior to buying my RAM four months ago, the 5th gen RAMs are expected to hold their value pretty well. Similar to Fords or even a little better. For some reason GM hold their value the best out of the domestics (Toyota is highest). Also remember that you get a lot more for your money with RAM. It seems that the popular trims (Big Horn, XLT, LT, etc.) depreciate more than the higher trims as a percent. In Sept I bought a brand new Laramie for $1500 less than a two year old Lariat with comparable features and almost $30k miles.

IF (and that is a BIG IF) gas powered trucks lose a lot of value due to the switch to EV, it will happen with all trucks. For me, I don't see much of a difference in 5 year depreciation of 37% for Toyota vs 40% for GM vs 42% for Ford and RAM. That is about $3000, if that, over 5 years. And the upfront cost for a comprable vehicle is quite a bit less with RAM than the others.
You mean you don't like paying $6k extra to have FORD plastered on your truck?

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
This is a non-issue for me. I live in a rural area, and the only charging stations I've seen are in two spots in one parking garage. People won't just instantly stop buying internal combustion engine powered trucks. In fact, if they do ever ban the production of them, I think their value will only go up if used is the only option left for gas or diesel powered trucks. I'm not sold on the use of electric vehicles, even if the infrastructure existed to support them. And I'm definitely not convinced that they are in any way greener than what we're currently driving.

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm thinking who cares I am buying the truck for now. It depreciates as soon as it leaves the lot, anything leftover after paying for it is bonus. And personally, screw EV.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
See...i am secretly giggling every time gas creeps up. Almost 3 bucks a gallon here. People will start dropping their trucks to get a car...and truck prices will go down. All the people buying trucks and not using them have adversely affected me from buying them cheap and using them. So I hope that happens...so I can buy a REBEL a Powerwagon and a Laramie 2500 Longbed all for the price of one tradesman classic.

Ah. The dreams I have of something affecting the truck market. Sorry RAM, I know that is not the dream you are having. This truck bubble is absurd.

Hope people keep buying lots of trucks though. So there are lots to choose from.

I must have missed an important class in life. I have never not once bought a truck for what it will be worth on trade...only for what it can do for my trade. Work and play are all I consider. Sad that I missed the other concerns some members here have. ;)

Condor757

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I actually think gas engine truck values will go UP eventually after EVs take over. They will become classics that will command high dollars just like old antiques.. I’m thinking many folks will want a good old classic V8 powered antique truck well into the EV age. Hope I’m right!

KCViper

Reaction score
I would certainly consider buying an EV one day when you can get at least 300-400 mile range and batteries are long lasting with good reliability. As another posted mentioned, the infrastructure to support EV will not be robust for a very long time. Think about a large city like Chicago, the time and cost to saturate with charging stations, will be enormous..... Internal combustion engines will be around for awhile!!

Rexx

Reaction score
The value of ICE vehicles will not drop in 5-7 years because of EV. Maybe in 15-20 years. And if you hold onto them long enough, they’ll go back up in value because of their rarity.

I bought my truck almost a year ago now but I have zero concerns about EV sinking the value of it anytime soon.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
As mentioned, values aren't dropping anytime soon, especially with trucks holding value better than any other segment, especially if you purchase with your typical 15-25% off MSRP.

Most major manufacturers promised to be mostly electric by 2030 - 2035, even then you still have a huge population of ICE vehicles on the road. EV technology is going to be the norm soon, but not that soon.

BigD

Reaction score
I hate all that electric crap. More stuff to go wrong. I hesitated to even get the etorque. I hate turbos. Give me a good old trusty V-8. Going to take a lot of convincing to get older people to buy electric vehicles. I just finally gave up listening to CD's. I'm only 43 yrs old btw. Lol

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I hate all that electric crap. More stuff to go wrong. I hesitated to even get the etorque. I hate turbos. Give me a good old trusty V-8. Going to take a lot of convincing to get older people to buy electric vehicles. I just finally gave up listening to CD's. I'm only 43 yrs old btw. Lol

Absolutely, the hybrid stuff where they mix gas and electric tech can be complicated. But full EV is another story. Wife's got a Tesla, there is actually less stuff to go wrong on the mechanical side, simpler mechanicals to be honest. With her "affordable" model 3 long range, it's downright practical for everyday use, at least in a larger city with superchargers.

slatersan

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just wanted to hear new owners' opinion, particularly those who purchased a new truck within the past year: did you or do you have any concerns about what the future value of your trucks will be given the slowly but surely transition to EVs?

I'm hesitant to get one, afraid that 5-7 years down the road the truck will be nearly worthless if electric pick-up cars start gaining steam. I know the same holds to just about any combustion vehicle on the road, but trucks are special animal in the sense they are major gas guzzlers. Imagine the slump in sales and demand for combustion trucks once EV trucks becomes prevalent and reasonably priced. Some countries have already started banning combustion engine production 2-3 years from now.

Thoughts?
Thats a long term potential problem, not a short term actualized problem.

I'll take my chances.

Users who are viewing this thread