5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking to dump SXM. Spotify Premium?

Nomad

Reaction score
Been using Spotify premium for a good while. Only downside to me is these cars not having wireless CarPlay. Other than that I’d never switch back to Sirius. Way better selection of music plus music on demand. A group of us made a family plan and it only costs us around 36/yr per person
They make dongles for wireless carplay. I put one in my wife's Honda and it works very well. I may get one for my truck one of these days, so far it hasn't bothered me having to plug in the phone.

BNeal

Reaction score
So, those of you that have poor wireless connectivity - I know the wifi (for those trucks so equipped) is a bit costly, but could that be an option?

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So, those of you that have poor wireless connectivity - I know the wifi (for those trucks so equipped) is a bit costly, but could that be an option?
Yes, but as you said, it is pricey:

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How would that help though? The wifi just provides a connection between the truck and your phone. The truck still needs a cell connection to the outside world to do anything. It stands to reason that if you phone has no (or poor) data connection, your truck probably won't be any better. Although it depends on the cell provider your phone is on vs the AT&T in the truck.

834k3r

Reaction score
They make dongles for wireless carplay. I put one in my wife's Honda and it works very well. I may get one for my truck one of these days, so far it hasn't bothered me having to plug in the phone.
This is where I'm at, too. I don't have the wireless charging in my truck, so plugging my phone in has the added advantage of keeping my phone's battery topped off.

Sugar

Reaction score
I’ve read some about them but not sold. Slow on start connection and some issues others have reported. I’d take plugging in over slow speed connections. Also the loss of steering wheel controls would be a deal breaker for me. Guess I’ll have to slum it and plug in 😛

myles

Reaction score
I have the spotify family plan (6 people) for $16/month and its great. Plus i get to download music/podcasts to my phone for when ever I dont have service, mostly for during flying. Sound quality is great as well.

Frozenwater

Reaction score
I hate radio due to the talk, and sxm is getting there, Spotify etc. Sadly doesn't fly as I have low data caps, burn through it too quick.

834k3r

Reaction score
I hate radio due to the talk, and sxm is getting there, Spotify etc. Sadly doesn't fly as I have low data caps, burn through it too quick.
A work around for you (if you have Spotify Premium or Family) could be to download the music you want to listen to your device when you're home on your wifi, then play it in offline mode.

Svt40

Reaction score
I'll be stuck with SXM or just the radio. My phone has no data plan and is really just one step away from having a curly cord attaching it to the wall. But hey $25 a year for the phone is all good.

Frozenwater

Reaction score
A work around for you (if you have Spotify Premium or Family) could be to download the music you want to listen to your device when you're home on your wifi, then play it in offline mode.
I dont care that much, I like to simply listen to what ever bpm or octane feeds my ears.
Nice to see sxm has a cheaper plan. I may simply go.cheap

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is why I use a 128GB Flash drive with all my CDs ripped to MP3 Files.
No Commercials or talking, and only the songs you like.

Malodave

Amerinamese

Reaction score
I have Amazon Music unlimited family plan for $14.99 a month. Works great for me and my wife and kids can have their own playlists.

JackWaggon

Reaction score
My XM free trial just ended and I decided not to renew for several reasons. My wife and I have had a pandora subscription for a while and I have been using that. Just for some added info, recently I had upgraded my base 6 speaker system (nothing too crazy just new 6x9s and dash speakers) and just using Pandora the sound quality is far superior to XM. I can't speak to the other streaming services but as far as I am concerned XM ain't the way to go.

Users who are viewing this thread