5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking to dump SXM. Spotify Premium?

BNeal

Reaction score
I am pretty much done with SXM. Looking for high quality music and no commercials. Can't stand the DJ's on Sirius - I'd almost rather listen to commercials.

Anyway, what is everyone's opinion of Spotify Premium for superior sound. I have a 21' Limited with the HK sounds system.

Thanks,
Brad

Nomad

Reaction score
I am pretty much done with SXM. Looking for high quality music and no commercials. Can't stand the DJ's on Sirius - I'd almost rather listen to commercials.

Anyway, what is everyone's opinion of Spotify Premium for superior sound. I have a 21' Limited with the HK sounds system.

Thanks,
Brad
I was a Spotify free user for a very long time. Switched to premium at the first of the year, wondered why I waited so long. I also can't stand Sirius, to much yakking, if I want that I listen to FM, at least it is relevant information as opposed to the useless drivel from Sirius, can't wait until my free subscription is up so I can tell them to cancel. I used to listen to Pandora years ago, but in my opinion, they don't compare to Spotify.

Nomad

Reaction score
Forgot to mention, I also have a limited with the HK sound system. Carplay works great for Spotify, and sometimes it seems like the sound with Sirius is not quite right, also a lot of delay in changing channels sometimes.

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think Tidal is still top of the list if streaming audio quality is a high priority. But it gets pricey for the lossless/highest quality plan unless you have a student/military/family discount. I use it, but mostly because it's included with my cell plan.

mmcbeat

Reaction score
I realize it’s the nature of the beast but my main gripe regarding SMX is that it cuts out in my garage, underpasses, bridges, tall buildings downtown, etc.

thos.hargrove

Reaction score
I have had SXM, Pandora and free Spotify. I prefer Spotify over Pandora for the selection and ease of making playlists. It also has podcasts. Will be moving to premium. I really dislike SXM - it’s days are numbered.

rightushook

Reaction score
Have you Considered Apple Music? I like how it integrates with iOS.

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think Tidal is still top of the list if streaming audio quality is a high priority. But it gets pricey for the lossless/highest quality plan unless you have a student/military/family discount. I use it, but mostly because it's included with my cell plan.

Apple and Amazon recently added support for hi-res audio, so Spotify must also be coming fairly soon to maintain competitiveness. They've been teasing hi-res audio for years to certain users.

Ratchet

Reaction score
I've had SXM for proably almost 20 years. I have to usually price haggle to get their "fair priced" rates. Not because I'm cheap, but because their audio compression gets worse each year as the DJ's nagging voices gets all of the attention. I also have their streaming service which is ok. Their "streaming only" channels have very limited dj yacking if any on some channels.

I've also used Spotify Premium for several years. Their audio quality is great. The main thing that sold me on Premium was their offline mode. You can save pretty much whatever you want into your library, and be able to access it in a no data situation. During air travel when certain radio devices are not allowed, it's nice to have a music source (saved on phone or latop) with stuff YOU enjoy listening to. Granted, you can always load music onto your mobile device or laptop, but not everyone is capable to do such nor may have the time to do so.

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Spotify Premium won't get you great sound, but anything is better than Sirius. I like Deezer.

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Spotify is great. I have premium and never have issues. SXM sucks. Cuts out and the stations arent that great.

834k3r

Reaction score
Can you get all the sports through Tidal and Spotify?
For me, I use other (free) apps for my sports teams; some are on iHeartRadio, others are on TuneIn.

As to my experience with Spotify over SXM, I prefer Spotify via CarPlay. The only advantage SXM has over Spotify is music in areas that don't have a reliable (or any) cellular coverage. That's remedied, however, but downloading playlist(s) to your device.

Spotify's far cheaper than SXM, too--so unless SXM gives me a screamin' deal when my free trial is over, I'm dropping SXM like a bad habit.

gzgg99

Reaction score
If SXM was $5/car per month, I'd probably stick with it or a $15 unlimited car plan would be even better. But the hassle of having to call every 6 months to get them to lower the rate to $5/month vs. $25 per vehicle (or whatever it is now) just isn't worth it anymore. $15 and I have several accounts on Spotify or Apple and can play through bluetooth or CarPlay on all my vehicles and for every family member. SXMs business model sucks.

Ratchet

Reaction score
SXM has a **** poor business model. Fortunately, I've been on a $5 per mo on their "select" plan. Has plenty of channels plus offers streaming.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I've stuck with SXM because I don't have coverage on about half my work commute. So it's either the radio or SXM until/if they ever improve the cell coverage in my area.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If SXM was $5/car per month, I'd probably stick with it or a $15 unlimited car plan would be even better.
They don't have an unlimited plan but the Select plan (one below the All Access trial that comes with the truck) is $5/month + taxes/fees which comes out to about $6/month like Ratchet pays. I pay by the year so it's $60 +taxes/fees which comes out to $72 and change for a year.

The Select package eliminates the live sporting events as well as some of the regular sports channels and app-based channels.

The All Access can be negotiated down to $100/year + taxes/fees (about $125) or just over $10/month.

I'm in a similar boat as mikeru82 with limited cell service but it's because I go off-roading and my cell service runs out way before SXM.

AdamChandler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sirius is great if you don’t have cell phone service though. Only reason I keep it. Streaming doesn’t work where I live Unless I download what I want before leaving the house.

Sugar

Reaction score
Been using Spotify premium for a good while. Only downside to me is these cars not having wireless CarPlay. Other than that I’d never switch back to Sirius. Way better selection of music plus music on demand. A group of us made a family plan and it only costs us around 36/yr per person

Users who are viewing this thread