5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking For Tips on First Time Lift - 2020 Ram Rebel

Reaction score
Hey guys, new to being a truck owner and I am looking to lift my 2020 Ram Rebel. I am having trouble finding out what would work best for me. Looking for some help. I went into 4 Wheel Parts and tried asking the guys in there but they quoted me close to $9K for a 4" lift with 35's and new wheels. Is that reasonable? Some basics on the truck and my uses are below. Any help is much appreciated

2020 Ram Rebel Stock Suspension: No Air-Ride
- Would like to fit 35" Tires
- Truck is a daily driver - (work construction)
- Travel to Mammoth CA Often (Snow and Fishing Season)
- Off Road Occasionally

Attachments

• Ram Snow.jpg
    Ram Snow.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 55

Brunzca

Reaction score
Hey guys, new to being a truck owner and I am looking to lift my 2020 Ram Rebel. I am having trouble finding out what would work best for me. Looking for some help. I went into 4 Wheel Parts and tried asking the guys in there but they quoted me close to $9K for a 4" lift with 35's and new wheels. Is that reasonable? Some basics on the truck and my uses are below. Any help is much appreciated

2020 Ram Rebel Stock Suspension: No Air-Ride
- Would like to fit 35" Tires
- Truck is a daily driver - (work construction)
- Travel to Mammoth CA Often (Snow and Fishing Season)
- Off Road Occasionally
What brand lift/wheels/tires? The wheels and tires could easily run $4k alone. Some lifts are well over $3-4k, plus labor for all of it. That said - you can probably find a lift for a lot less (not sure about rebel). Check Zone

H2OMAN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have always just gone with a suspension lift. That gives about 3 inches of lift and can easily fit 35's. Beginning with Bilstein 5100's at about $100.00 each plus installation and upper control arms installed will be about $1500. Fox/King/Icon installed will be around $4000 and up with UCA's. 35's on good rims will start around $2700.00 and go up from there. 4 inch lifts and up the frame needs to be cut to fit the front drive shaft. This increases the cost and cannot be undone. Also, 4 Wheel Parts is the Pep boys of the off road world. Be cautious.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Depends on your budget, depends on your wheel/tire choice, depends on a lot of factors you left out. Cheapest would be 2" lift blocks in the front, nothing or 1" in the rear, spacers for your stock wheels, 35" tires, and some trimming/bending on the wheel wells. I am going this route until my shocks wear out and I get a full coilover kit. I'll stay at 3" front and 1" rear.

Most expensive would be a 4-6" kit with coilovers, etc.

You can fit 35's with a 3" lift (2" over your stock 1" with the Rebel) with the right wheels and/or spacers to clear the UCA and spindle. Anything over that 3" total lift will need to drop the front differential to keep your CV axle angles lower. This ups the price, install time, and complexity significantly.

Phoon

Reaction score
I currently have 35 x 12.5 R20 Falken tires on a stock ride height sport. It has 1/4 spacers on it and very minor rubbing now that I have trimmed the fender liners. The falkens are killer in snow for an all-terrain tire and pretty quiet on the highway. Will either level my truck to avoid rubbing off-road- or drop down to a 34 ish tall tire.

Vulpes

Reaction score

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Based on your described usage, I'd go with Bilstien 5100's for a front level, and put the 35" tires on your stock wheels. Unless you want new wheels.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Based on your described usage, I'd go with Bilstien 5100's for a front level, and put the 35" tires on your stock wheels. Unless you want new wheels.
Would upper control arms be required when using the bilsteins if they are at the max lift height for the rebel of 2”? (3” total with off-road package)

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Would upper control arms be required when using the bilsteins if they are at the max lift height for the rebel of 2”? (3” total with off-road package)
If you are going max lift height, you would also want a rear lift to avoid looking nose high. And hesz would require UCAs. I have the Bilstein 5100s in mine with 1.4" lift(circlip 4) which shouldnt require UCAs according to Bilstien. Have 34" tires on it now and plenty of room for 35's. PXL_20211107_182208641.jpg

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you are going max lift height, you would also want a rear lift to avoid looking nose high. And hesz would require UCAs. I have the Bilstein 5100s in mine with 1.4" lift(circlip 4) which shouldnt require UCAs according to Bilstien. Have 34" tires on it now and plenty of room for 35's. View attachment 147761
Thanks, I’ve set mine at the 1.5” #4 location to level the truck out a bit and even after reading dozens of posts it still wasn’t clear if ucas were required. Sound like it’s not required until 3” of total lift or more are obtained.

H2OMAN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Depends on your budget, depends on your wheel/tire choice, depends on a lot of factors you left out. Cheapest would be 2" lift blocks in the front, nothing or 1" in the rear, spacers for your stock wheels, 35" tires, and some trimming/bending on the wheel wells. I am going this route until my shocks wear out and I get a full coilover kit. I'll stay at 3" front and 1" rear.

Most expensive would be a 4-6" kit with coilovers, etc.

You can fit 35's with a 3" lift (2" over your stock 1" with the Rebel) with the right wheels and/or spacers to clear the UCA and spindle. Anything over that 3" total lift will need to drop the front differential to keep your CV axle angles lower. This ups the price, install time, and complexity significantly.
The reason I left out lift blocks is because they are crap and I would not recommend them to anyone.

Reaction score
Wow , this is a ton of information and I really thank everyone for their valued input! I have a lot of thinking to do. After an initial read of everyone’s suggestion I like HSKR R/T suggestion of the Bilstein 5100s and keeping the stock wheels. The stock wheels on the Rebel aren’t that bad to begin with. I really don’t want to skimp out on tires so I was pricing out the Mickey Thompsons Baja Boss A/T or even the Pro Comps

Reaction score
I went with a Carli suspension recently, seems fine so far. Here's a link for your research, it's an interesting read on their lift development: https://carlisuspension.com/201-ram-1500-4x4-hemi-and-ecodiesel/

I concur, it depends... I am also a proponent of buy once, cry once.
After reading into this Carli Suspension this sounds really great especially since this a daily driver, did you have any trouble finding a capable shop for installing this system ? Also is there anything special in ordering for the Rebel?

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The reason I left out lift blocks is because they are crap and I would not recommend them to anyone.
Considering almost every suspension lift offers lift blocks of some kind or another I included them. Especially because you can hit the 3" front lift on the Rebel with a pair of $80 2" blocks. Easy to DIY, cheap, lets you see if you like it. Not everyone has $1000+ to spend on Fox/DK/Icons. If you're getting Bilsteins for $100 you're finding a great deal, but even then you have to know how/have the tools to compress a coil spring or have a shop do it, so that adds to the cost.

Maxing out lift on adjustable shocks can be just as "bad" in terms of ride quality and performance as using a spacer.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Considering almost every suspension lift offers lift blocks of some kind or another I included them. Especially because you can hit the 3" front lift on the Rebel with a pair of $80 2" blocks. Easy to DIY, cheap, lets you see if you like it. Not everyone has $1000+ to spend on Fox/DK/Icons. If you're getting Bilsteins for $100 you're finding a great deal, but even then you have to know how/have the tools to compress a coil spring or have a shop do it, so that adds to the cost.

Maxing out lift on adjustable shocks can be just as "bad" in terms of ride quality and performance as using a spacer.
If you are adding 2" top hat spacers you should be replacing the UCAs as well.

Not hard to rent a spring compressor from parts store, and unless you are totally incompetent, they aren't hard to use, and are zero dollars out of pocket. Which if you can't figure out a spring compressor, probably shouldn't be working in your suspension.

Vulpes

Reaction score
After reading into this Carli Suspension this sounds really great especially since this a daily driver, did you have any trouble finding a capable shop for installing this system ? Also is there anything special in ordering for the Rebel?
I installed the Carli Performance System myself in my driveway. I bought the Performance System from CJC Offroad in Long Beach, who provided a lot of technical support, they even checked the nitrogen charge for free once I finished with the installation. If you are near Long Beach, I'd recommend them for a purchase and for an install based on my experience, but to be clear, they did not install it. Write to them with any questions, I found them to be very responsive. CJC link here: 2019+ Ram 1500 Front End & Rear Suspension | CJC Off Road

Carli has the Performance System (King) and the Commuter System (Fox).

I spent about a month on the ole world wide web reading about lifts and all the "things" needed for the 2019+ Rebel before I bought anything. Let me know if you want more detail.

Edited: Take your time researching! This could be a major investment and could affect ride quality negatively.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread