5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking for Payload #'s...do you have truck similar to...

UDCentaur

Reaction score
I started using new Vin #'s from various dealer websites and used the ram website truck website for payload calculations. I noticed they were all over the map with similar equipment... I'm trying to decide if the 1500 lack of payload will still be able to cover a 685 lb trailer hitch. I know I know...get the 2500 for more payload closer to 3,000 - but that's a big jump in terms of initial cost and gas over time.

Can you tell me your payload # from your door jab stick if you have a 2020 truck very similar to:

Laramie
Crew Cab
4x4
5.7 e torque or non etorque (please specify)
AntiSpin
Level 1
33 gallon tank
Sport Package
Protection
Bed Protection Group
Rear Wheel house liners
Trailer Brake
Floor Mats

Thank you for your assistance!

NordicNevs

Reaction score
Close to the same. Laramie longhorn similarity equipped 3.21 non e-torque
1398# or is it 1289#

I remember it’s a dismal number. I daily my 3500 so I’ll check when I get back to the house.

It’s basically a grocery getter with a bed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I started using new Vin #'s from various dealer websites and used the ram website truck website for payload calculations. I noticed they were all over the map with similar equipment... I'm trying to decide if the 1500 lack of payload will still be able to cover a 685 lb trailer hitch. I know I know...get the 2500 for more payload closer to 3,000 - but that's a big jump in terms of initial cost and gas over time.

Can you tell me your payload # from your door jab stick if you have a 2020 truck very similar to:

Laramie
Crew Cab
4x4
5.7 e torque or non etorque (please specify)
AntiSpin
Level 1
33 gallon tank
Sport Package
Protection
Bed Protection Group
Rear Wheel house liners
Trailer Brake
Floor Mats

Thank you for your assistance!

If you're willing to drop down to a bighorn; I have 1750 pounds of payload, level 2, crew cab, non etorque, with bed protection, rear wheel house liners, trailer brake, 4x4, anti spin, 28 gallon tank. I do have the 3.21 but that won't make a difference in terms of weight vs the 3.92.

Items that are known to add significant weight:
- etorque (battery!)
- panoramic sunroof
- bed side boxes
- offroad group/skid plates
- 4x4
- crewcab

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Do keep that in mind. The 3.21 or 3.92 will have the same PAYLOAD. The Gross Combined Vehicle Rating will be different though.

The 3.21 will be 13900 and the 3.92 will be 17000.

So the 3.92 is rated to safely tow 3100 more pounds.

We do have extensive payload information on the site.

Good luck with the search.

UDCentaur

Reaction score
Yes. Even this fully loaded Longhorn has 1069 lbs of payload. My Laramie (details in sig) has 1511.

Yes, but subtract - 2 adults, 2 kids, (500+ lbs there) or I guess just the wife and I can go camping:)

I always forget if the payload stick includes 150lb driver or not...I thought it only counts it towards the towing cap

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Payload is GVWR minus base weight.

Base weight is just the truck...full fluids...so gas is included.

The 150 comes into GCWR and is for figuring max towing.

It has an allowance of 300lbs for passengers. Effectively 150 for driver and 150 for passenger.

Max tow will never be reached unless you only have 300lbs of cargo (passenger And equipment) and can keep the trailer to 10% tongue weight.

So to answer your question...your thought was right...no allowance for payload but passenger allowance for towing numbers.

NordicNevs

Reaction score
Oh god it’s turning into another weight discussion thread

Buy a 2500 in any trim and you’ll be fine for any type of camping you decide to do

Or go for the 3500 and you’ll be set for any type of camping and any type of camper/rv

1000# of payload is trash. A set of wheels and tires can get you an additional 200# total over factory configurations plus people....

I’ll be honest these 1/2 tons are amazing rigs but most are not set up for what they are advertised to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turin

Reaction score
Yes, but subtract - 2 adults, 2 kids, (500+ lbs there) or I guess just the wife and I can go camping:)
Sure, but we can't account for those things if you don't tell us about them. Your post didn't say what you were hauling and towing, just the hitch weight. For your configuration I'd expect payload to similar to mine (~1500 lbs) so you should be able to haul the family and tow your rig, just don't expect to be able to fill the bed with gear too.

I wish the build & price tool calculated payload based on the selected options. It's painfully difficult to try to do on your own.
I always forget if the payload stick includes 150lb driver or not...I thought it only counts it towards the towing cap
No, unfortunately. It allows for a full tank of fuel but not the driver or any passengers.

Users who are viewing this thread