5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking for advice on buying a new 5th gen 1500

dajogejr

Reaction score
Frankly, I went from a 15 limited to a 23 limited, the only thing I wish I could’ve done differently on my 23 is get the 6’4 box with Ram Boxes.
They’re an accessory I don’t ever want to have to go without. Cab of my truck is immaculate. Need a tie down or two? Ram box. Tow strap? RB. Jumper Cables? RB. Forgot a cooler? Grab some ice and your favorite beverage… RB.

I agree the RB on my 15 lined up better than my 23. But the function of them far outweighs the non-perfect look. You’ll be amazed how handy they are. One side of mine is always stuffed, the other is open for things I need to transport, from drills to drinks.

With a family of 4, you’ll be surprised how much of their “Stuff” could be stowed away in the ram boxes as well.
The cargo hold/gate is also outstanding, standard on RamBox equipped trucks. I keep mine near the rear so things don’t slide forward. You can also use it as a tailgate extender…

The MFT is also a game changer… when you remember you have it. Not having to reach over a down tailgate to access your truck bed is amazing, but nearly 20 years of owning RAM trucks, I’m conditioned to drop the tailgate, instead of swing the doors open..:)

irishwake63

Reaction score
a Limited is really "limited" on payload and from what I have been reading the Tundra is far more reliable than the Ram

dajogejr

Reaction score
a Limited is really "limited" on payload and from what I have been reading the Tundra is far more reliable than the Ram
Can’t argue the limited payload on a limited…but if it was a true work truck used for hauling, work, etc., Limited wouldn’t be my choice. I bought mine for looks, luxury, ride…. And to throw something in the back occasionally.

Alter Ego Trip

Reaction score
You've obviously never walked through a Toyota service dept. ;)

Umm, Ram also sales exponentially more trucks than Toyota. Toyota averages, what, 100k sales per year. Ram total truck sales are around 400k? More trucks = more complaints, plain and simple.

Toyota does "show" better payload, but they have been known to fudge numbers in the past as well. At least Ram never had to drop a 4.30 gear ratio in their truck to reach their advertised towing capacity.

irishwake63

Reaction score
You've obviously never walked through a Toyota service dept. ;)

Umm, Ram also sales exponentially more trucks than Toyota. Toyota averages, what, 11k sales per year. Ram total truck sales are around 400k? More trucks = more complaints, plain and simple.

Toyota does "show" better payload, but they have been known to fudge numbers in the past as well. At least Ram never had to drop a 4.30 gear ratio in their truck to reach their advertised towing capacity.
just sayin google is your friend searching on reliability

Alter Ego Trip

Reaction score
just sayin google is your friend searching on reliability

There is no doubt Toyota has been more reliable than Ram overall. I think the most recent report shows Toyota up and Ram down regarding issues. I think a lot of the Ram issues we see are nitpicky things. There is a lot more technology packed into these trucks, with more potential gremlins. My bigger complaint with Ram is their QC. Some of these trucks coming off the line just makes you shake your head. Paint runs, dirt in paint, misaligned body panels, Stevie Wonder dash stitching, etc.

PetePA

Reaction score
I suggest you look up 2024 Reliability Ratings on JD Power, US News and RepairPal. It's less anecdotal and more data backed. All three sources have both the Tundra and 1500 in 2024 MYs.

irishwake63

Reaction score
looks like there are many different results from different places JD powers, Edmunds, Consumer reports, car and driver I only know of issues I have with my Ram and many others with window leaks still occurring after many years of issues they refuse to fix cracked manifolds, Electronics RF box I dont see these issues in the Tundra circle other than being an ugly truck

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Edmunds and JD powers both rank the 2024 Ram 1500 at or near the top for most reliable light duty pickup. JD Powers shows Ram tied with the Tundra in terms of reliably.

Edmunds
JD Powers

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
JD Power does several different studies and surveys. For instance, their Initial Quality Study (IQS). Basically the number of problems per 100 vehicles. For the last five years Ram has taken first or second place every year but 2022. That year they dropped to the middle of the pack, just below the industry standard. But that's a much different thing than talking long term reliability, and for those who get a new truck every couple of years it may have more significance than long term reliability.

irishwake63

Reaction score
JD Power does several different studies and surveys. For instance, their Initial Quality Study (IQS). Basically the number of problems per 100 vehicles. For the last five years Ram has taken first or second place every year but 2022. That year they dropped to the middle of the pack, just below the industry standard. But that's a much different thing than talking long term reliability, and for those who get a new truck every couple of years it may have more significance than long term reliability.

probably because they refuse to remedy too many known issues like the rear window leak that is still occurring after many years and the exhaust manifold and the problematic infotainment. Left a bad taste in my mouth so after many Rams since 2002 this will be my last.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
probably because they refuse to remedy too many known issues like the rear window leak that is still occurring after many years and the exhaust manifold and the problematic infotainment. Left a bad taste in my mouth so after many Rams since 2002 this will be my last.
No doubt, there are real issues with these trucks and plenty of owners have had a less than favorable outcome. Just like there are real issues with Ford and GM trucks which haven't been resolved by those car makers. The problem is, that can and does happen with every brand. I understand your decision to switch brands. I'm likely to do the same when it's time to replace our 2020 Limited. I just wouldn't get my hopes up too high that your experience with another brand will be any better than your experience with Ram and Stellantis if the vehicle you buy has any issues.

irishwake63

Reaction score
I am looking to go back to Ford all trucks have some issues but Ford doesnt tell you "oh well" if you do service is a big part of the experience. I had a 21 F150 and never had an issue

Alter Ego Trip

Reaction score
looks like there are many different results from different places JD powers, Edmunds, Consumer reports, car and driver I only know of issues I have with my Ram and many others with window leaks still occurring after many years of issues they refuse to fix cracked manifolds, Electronics RF box I dont see these issues in the Tundra circle other than being an ugly truck

I'd rather drive a Ram with issues than a Tunda without. :D

I'm on something like Ram #7, and they have all been pretty solid (except for aforementioned QC complaints). Now I don't keep my trucks for hundreds of thousands of miles either, but the average trade cycle in the US is around 4 years, so not many people do nowadays either.

Alter Ego Trip

Reaction score
I am looking to go back to Ford all trucks have some issues but Ford doesnt tell you "oh well" if you do service is a big part of the experience. I had a 21 F150 and never had an issue
Having dealt with many different dealers, Toyota is most definitely #1 when it comes to taking care of their customers. Subaru is another mfg that goes out of their way to assist. Everyone else looks for every possible reason not to cover repairs, and it's left to the dealer to fight for the customer. Ford is no shining star either.

A lot of people blame the dealership when it comes to warranty issues; but the truth of the matter is; dealers are certainly not trying to not warranty stuff. They get paid to do warranty work (albeit at a much lower labor rate) so there is no benefit to turning away a customer that would have qualified.

Users who are viewing this thread