5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking for a new shotgun

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Planning to RV full time later this year, and won't be able to take most of my firearms with me because of a few of the states I'm going to be traveling through and to.

Planning to take my 700 and 43X, but also looking for a new shotgun. Been considering the Beretta 1301 or the Remington V3 Tactical. Want something semiauto and would like to mount a dot on it.

Any experience with these or any others I should look into?

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
TAC-13 would be sweet.
Unfortunately, there are a few states my wife wants to visit where those are banned. I'd be looking at the 18.5" V3.

Trykonkid11

Reaction score
We tested the Remington for a duty shotgun and it failed terribly. It had numerous fail to extract, and stove pipes. The Beretta was an unbelievable gun to shoot with the ghost ring rear sights, and the limited recoil from it being a pistol gun was awesome. Shot Remington 1oz Slugger out of the Beretta, it was like shooting standard trap loads.
We also tested the Benelli M4 who’s was also performed flawlessly, but did beat you up a little. Between all three the group testing all like the beretta. That, because of the oversized features, and lesser recoil for the small framed people. The beretta is actually a little cheaper, as well. But if it were me I would stay clear of the Remington.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
While I love shotguns, mine lean toward the radical side. The "bump in the night" gun for me is a Pardner pump. Yes, a ChiCom 870 knockoff. It is heavier duty and smoother than the new 870s. All steel and pretty indestructible. Recoil absorbing stock and a dot on it with #4 buck makes it ideal for around my house and yard.

Then a Siaga 12 polished and tweaked, throws 13 slugs as fast as you can pull the trigger. Or a Shockwave with a laser on it. Great for up close work.

I wouldn't necessarily want to have to explain these to the anti gun cop on a road trip though. They look scary.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
While I love shotguns, mine lean toward the radical side. The "bump in the night" gun for me is a Pardner pump. Yes, a ChiCom 870 knockoff. It is heavier duty and smoother than the new 870s. All steel and pretty indestructible. Recoil absorbing stock and a dot on it with #4 buck makes it ideal for around my house and yard.

Then a Siaga 12 polished and tweaked, throws 13 slugs as fast as you can pull the trigger. Or a Shockwave with a laser on it. Great for up close work.

I wouldn't necessarily want to have to explain these to the anti gun cop on a road trip though. They look scary.
Definitely not something I’d take with me on trips, but I love my Saiga-12. That thing has some great accuracy and dumps a drum mag as fast as I can pull the trigger.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, definitely looking for something I can pass off as a hunting shotgun. Not even completely sure I'll put the dot on it when we're traveling. Might just keep it how I pull it out of the box for now.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have the full-length Remington V3 for hunting and trap shooting. Only issues I've ever had were bad/cheap ammo. Gun has been flawless. Bought it used from local Scheels.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Budget?

I'm a big Benelli fan, never had any issues with the SBE or Super Nova guns. My Nova's are pump but they now make an auto if you're looking to avoid a pistol grip, The Vinci tactical is a win but pricey @$1,400 MSRP. Add a mag extension and red dot if desired. Not sure what hunting you're going to do wit these tactical 18.5" barrels.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Budget?

I'm a big Benelli fan, never had any issues with the SBE or Super Nova guns. My Nova's are pump but they now make an auto if you're looking to avoid a pistol grip, The Vinci tactical is a win but pricey @$1,400 MSRP. Add a mag extension and red dot if desired. Not sure what hunting you're going to do wit these tactical 18.5" barrels.
Don't really have a budget, but I guess I'd probably not go above $2k or so for a shotgun. I really liked the M1014 in training, but not sure I want to spend time explaining what it is.

Don't plan on hunting anything with it, just want something a little more useful than a pistol or bolt gun when we head out to the middle of nowhere. Ideally, I'd have something that performs like an M1014 but looks like I pulled it from above my grandpa's fireplace. The more walnut, the better, I think.

mophead

Reaction score
Mossberg just released the 940 Tactical. JM Pro build 18.5" 7+1 all black. Availability??? Wood stocks available

Last edited:

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Don't really have a budget, but I guess I'd probably not go above $2k or so for a shotgun. I really liked the M1014 in training, but not sure I want to spend time explaining what it is.

Don't plan on hunting anything with it, just want something a little more useful than a pistol or bolt gun when we head out to the middle of nowhere. Ideally, I'd have something that performs like an M1014 but looks like I pulled it from above my grandpa's fireplace. The more walnut, the better, I think.

can pass off as a hunting shotgun.

Ah, I read this a little too fast and just saw "hunting."

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yup, forgot about Stoeger.

Budget Benelli, same inertia drive system. Made in Turkey, nearly half the cost.

They don't always like light target loads but mine (SBEII) has otherwise been flawless. Runs 7.5 or 8 shot upland loads (Dove) without a hitch. They stay cleaner than a gas gun too.

Every once in a great while if I didn't completely mount the gun before pulling the trigger, it will stovepipe. Damn sneaky Pheasants.

Reverse

Reaction score
Can you comment on, or point me to a source on the different states (and federal) requirements regarding traveling with a shotgun/rifle? I'm aware of what I need when I travel with my handgun, but not so much with long guns. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread