5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking for a new shotgun

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Can you comment on, or point me to a source on the different states (and federal) requirements regarding traveling with a shotgun/rifle? I'm aware of what I need when I travel with my handgun, but not so much with long guns. Thanks.
Don't quote me on it, but for the most part, as long as the gun isn't loaded and ammo is separate, there is no issue.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Can you comment on, or point me to a source on the different states (and federal) requirements regarding traveling with a shotgun/rifle? I'm aware of what I need when I travel with my handgun, but not so much with long guns. Thanks.
I grabbed one of these:

Lot of good info for the money.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Don't quote me on it, but for the most part, as long as the gun isn't loaded and ammo is separate, there is no issue.
Generally, that's true if you're only passing through (one small positive of GCA68). If you stop, you're subject to that state's laws.

So New Jersey, for example, I would never spend the night there. Not even sure I want to stop for gas or give LE anything remotely worth pulling me over with the stories I've read from there.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Best to check on any states you plan to travel through.

CA has some crazy stuff about ammo has to be in a separate locked container, etc.

Also be mindful of any Indian reservations you travel through or stop in, they often have restrictions the state doesn't have.

For long guns and shotguns, typically the only worry is an SBR/SBS that would need travel papers (5320.20) or other NFA item like a silencer (doesn't require 5320.20 but may be illegal in a jurisdiction).

Trykonkid11

Reaction score
Generally, that's true if you're only passing through (one small positive of GCA68). If you stop, you're subject to that state's laws.

So New Jersey, for example, I would never spend the night there. Not even sure I want to stop for gas or give LE anything remotely worth pulling me over with the stories I've read from there.

That’s basically because of ignorance, most cops don’t even know the standards for possessing a gun in NJ. It’s shameful what happens to law abiding citizens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yup, forgot about Stoeger.

Budget Benelli, same inertia drive system. Made in Turkey, nearly half the cost.

They don't always like light target loads but mine (SBEII) has otherwise been flawless. Runs 7.5 or 8 shot upland loads (Dove) without a hitch. They stay cleaner than a gas gun too.

Every once in a great while if I didn't completely mount the gun before pulling the trigger, it will stovepipe. Damn sneaky Pheasants.
I have a friend that uses that gun in a 3gun comp. He loves it. Basically a Benelli.

Nice! Thanks!
I'm still on the fence if I should get the Stoeger (my 3rd Shotgun), a bolt action rifle 16-18" (308), or another AR15.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Don't really have a budget, but I guess I'd probably not go above $2k or so for a shotgun. I really liked the M1014 in training, but not sure I want to spend time explaining what it is.

Don't plan on hunting anything with it, just want something a little more useful than a pistol or bolt gun when we head out to the middle of nowhere. Ideally, I'd have something that performs like an M1014 but looks like I pulled it from above my grandpa's fireplace. The more walnut, the better, I think.
So, following the thread a bit but I fail to understand. You're traveling. You want something on the defense side of things rather than a hunting gun. Sounds like you want a truck gun. Then again your budget is $2k.

I mean, I think truck gun, I am thinking cheap, knock around, can't stop it from shooting. AK or Mossy 500. You know, collecting dirt in the DuHa storage under the back seat but shoots anything you feed it. A cheap Rock Island M5 would be a good truck gun as it copies the old High Standard Flite King that has a butter slick action.

But I am rambling. I don't think a cheap knock around is what you have in mind.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That’s basically because of ignorance, most cops don’t even know the standards for possessing a gun in NJ. It’s shameful what happens to law abiding citizens.

Definitely. I think we're probably only going to go through New Jersey just to say we we there long enough to cross it off the list.

tumblr_mo7kxkxMqe1roavl3o6_250.gif

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So, following the thread a bit but I fail to understand. You're traveling. You want something on the defense side of things rather than a hunting gun. Sounds like you want a truck gun. Then again your budget is $2k.

I mean, I think truck gun, I am thinking cheap, knock around, can't stop it from shooting. AK or Mossy 500. You know, collecting dirt in the DuHa storage under the back seat but shoots anything you feed it. A cheap Rock Island M5 would be a good truck gun as it copies the old High Standard Flite King that has a butter slick action.

But I am rambling. I don't think a cheap knock around is what you have in mind.
Need an RV gun that can go with me to all CONUS. Would take my suppressed 300 blk SBR, but that's too scary for some states and the AFT babysitting hassle isn't worth it.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Need an RV gun that can go with me to all CONUS. Would take my suppressed 300 blk SBR, but that's too scary for some states and the AFT babysitting hassle isn't worth it.
Ok. Now the Benelli makes more sense. RV gun is not abused like Truck gun.👍

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You don't need to go any closer to NJ than Md. Come to think of it you don't need to cross Md off your list either. Trust me.
Already crossed off, thanks to the Marine Corps.

MontFla

Reaction score
Planning to RV full time later this year, and won't be able to take most of my firearms with me because of a few of the states I'm going to be traveling through and to.

Planning to take my 700 and 43X, but also looking for a new shotgun. Been considering the Beretta 1301 or the Remington V3 Tactical. Want something semiauto and would like to mount a dot on it.

Any experience with these or any others I should look into?
Weatherby SA 459

MontFla

Reaction score
Check out the weatherby SA 459. It is a great self defense gun.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I know you said semi-auto, and I don't know what current production is like. But, for what you want it for, I like SIMPLE and reliable. My 870 Marine Magnum is my choice for that kind of thing. But, I've had it for many years, so I don't know if current stuff is the same.

For RV'ing your way around the country, it's just hard for me to imagine NEEDING a semi-auto. Unless your travel is a cover for your secret identity as the Punisher... Also hard to imagine any LE having any more of a beef with an 870 MM than any other shotgun you might be transporting, even though it is stainless and has synthetic furniture and an extended mag tube.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I know you said semi-auto, and I don't know what current production is like. But, for what you want it for, I like SIMPLE and reliable. My 870 Marine Magnum is my choice for that kind of thing. But, I've had it for many years, so I don't know if current stuff is the same.

For RV'ing your way around the country, it's just hard for me to imagine NEEDING a semi-auto. Unless your travel is a cover for your secret identity as the Punisher... Also hard to imagine any LE having any more of a beef with an 870 MM than any other shotgun you might be transporting, even though it is stainless and has synthetic furniture and an extended mag tube.
A big reason is wanting something my wife can more easily use. I have an 870, but she's not a fan. I think I'd have more luck getting something where she just needs to pull the trigger.

Plus, it's a good excuse to get a 1301 so how about you don't crowd my action... :LOL:

Users who are viewing this thread