5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking at buying used, any issue with early models??

ktl5005

Reaction score

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you have a sun roof, make sure drain grommet is pulled though to the exterior of the cab on the drivers side. The grommet should be visible when you look down the gap between bed and body. Also check the headliner in the rear for watermarks. The shark fin and 3rd brake light liked to leak. Also check the top of the rear window frame on the inside for cracks above the sliding glass mechanisms. That also causes leaks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lil Miss Always Wrong

Reaction score
we've had THREE (3) 2019 Rams and one 2020 1500's and while the earlier 2019's had quite a few recalls, once i got my 3rd QTR 2019 it seemed they were worked out. My vin started with an 8 after the KN, and only recall it ever had was wipers and that recall just came out & was immediately fixed....i checked your vin and it has zero : )

But honestly , $17,000 off a vehicle that is soon to be 2 years old with 15K miles isn't the greatest deal in my opinion. UNLESS that is the vehicle of your dreams that "ticks every single box for you", i'd rather make my compromises on a new one, where some in here are getting loaded Limiteds for $45-50,000 OTD.....(WITH a rambox & a panoroof : )

But as far as buying pre-owned, i'd say DEFINITELY, but you HAVE to get a GREAT price, or you may as well get a new one, pay a few thoussand more but have the peace of mind, "no Yahoo broke in your engine and drove like an idiot for 15,000 miles...." : )

ktl5005

Reaction score
we've had THREE (3) 2019 Rams and one 2020 1500's and while the earlier 2019's had quite a few recalls, once i got my 3rd QTR 2019 it seemed they were worked out. My vin started with an 8 after the KN, and only recall it ever had was wipers and that recall just came out & was immediately fixed....i checked your vin and it has zero : )

But honestly , $17,000 off a vehicle that is soon to be 2 years old with 15K miles isn't the greatest deal in my opinion. UNLESS that is the vehicle of your dreams that "ticks every single box for you", i'd rather make my compromises on a new one, where some in here are getting loaded Limiteds for $45-50,000 OTD.....(WITH a rambox & a panoroof : )

But as far as buying pre-owned, i'd say DEFINITELY, but you HAVE to get a GREAT price, or you may as well get a new one, pay a few thoussand more but have the peace of mind, "no Yahoo broke in your engine and drove like an idiot for 15,000 miles...." : )

thanks for checking the vin and seeing there were no recalls.

The manager told me that is the lowest they can go.

I am getting some extra on potential trade though. Yes it kind of checks everything

Lil Miss Always Wrong

Reaction score
y/w : )

The only true test if that is their absolute lowest is to "walk away"...

Sadly, you sometimes lose the deal, but often times, they call you in a day or so, you say i need it 1500 to 2,000 less, and then they decide if they can handle the lower profit. Sometimes they will, sometimes they won't, but they cannot be trusted when they say "i have no more wiggle room" UNTIL you have actually stood your ground and left the dealership...

. And hey, there is no shame in your game IF a day or so after not hearing from them, you call them and say, "i'll take it"... But like i said, if you absolutely LOVE the truck, i wouldn't let 1500-2000 stand between ME & IT!

Good luck : )

NJC1684

Reaction score
thanks for checking the vin and seeing there were no recalls.

The manager told me that is the lowest they can go.

I am getting some extra on potential trade though. Yes it kind of checks everything

I'd walk and wait for better incentives. I paid that + $1.5k for my '20, 66.5k MSRP.

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I bought a used 19 Limited and it has been flawless. Got it with 19K for $44K and couldn't be happier. Still have plenty of B-B warranty left. Go for it. IMG_20200303_130440052_HDR.jpg

ktl5005

Reaction score
y/w : )

The only true test if that is their absolute lowest is to "walk away"...

Sadly, you sometimes lose the deal, but often times, they call you in a day or so, you say i need it 1500 to 2,000 less, and then they decide if they can handle the lower profit. Sometimes they will, sometimes they won't, but they cannot be trusted when they say "i have no more wiggle room" UNTIL you have actually stood your ground and left the dealership...

. And hey, there is no shame in your game IF a day or so after not hearing from them, you call them and say, "i'll take it"... But like i said, if you absolutely LOVE the truck, i wouldn't let 1500-2000 stand between ME & IT!

Good luck : )
I'd walk and wait for better incentives. I paid that + $1.5k for my '20, 66.5k MSRP.
I bought a used 19 Limited and it has been flawless. Got it with 19K for $44K and couldn't be happier. Still have plenty of B-B warranty left. Go for it. View attachment 55302

it is my unicorn. A new Limited is out of my price range, and so is a fully loaded Laramie. This has what I want, expect for the sunroof which I could live without. Otherwise air suspension, 12” screen and 19 speakers with off road package. I’m glad there was no recalls on it.,

Pwsiii

Reaction score
I would look around - there are some deals out there - I just picked up 2 weeks ago a 2020 limited diesel and passed of 0% for 84 and instead got $16,500 off sticker with 3.75 for 72

ktl5005

Reaction score
I would look around - there are some deals out there - I just picked up 2 weeks ago a 2020 limited diesel and passed of 0% for 84 and instead got $16,500 off sticker with 3.75 for 72
My
Local credit union is 3.2% for 84 which I would do with. This is the absolute top of my budget for a vehicle. So new limited even minus big discounts is out.

that and it in PA and no one is really wheeling right now

Mitchrob85

Reaction score
Price they are giving you seems very high considering the amount of miles. Prior to the lower 5/4 FCA rebates, I had seen several 2020 limiteds ranging in price from $48-55k, depending on options. I'd personally wait for June incentives and go for a new truck. At the very least, you could get a well optioned Laramie for mid $40s that's brand new (assuming rebates are 5k or higher). Good luck!

ktl5005

Reaction score
Price they are giving you seems very high considering the amount of miles. Prior to the lower 5/4 FCA rebates, I had seen several 2020 limiteds ranging in price from $48-55k, depending on options. I'd personally wait for June incentives and go for a new truck. At the very least, you could get a well optioned Laramie for mid $40s that's brand new (assuming rebates are 5k or higher). Good luck!
Yeah. KBB has it right in middle range of what to expect to pay for my area.

ALso, for my trade in Jeep they are giving me higher end of middle KBB which in the current world climate I thought was pretty good.

50k truck is out of my price range. I have a monthly payment in mind and will not go above it. I can easily accept more, but won't go above it.

Lil Miss Always Wrong

Reaction score
it is my unicorn. ...... This has what I want,.....

So what are you sitting here for??!!! Go lasso that bull and bring her back here so we can see her...lol (hope we helped talk you into it, you now seem MUCH more leaning towards her than indecisive like when u first posted : )

And as NICE as my pano roof is, in all honesty i don't ever use it and i won't either UNLESS & UNTIL they add some beeping to the truck that tells me when its left open when i lock the door!

Good luck!

LilMAW

Granite2WD

Reaction score
Good points and I also think the poster may save some on new vs used car financing. Even with financing through FCA. Many sources say used car values are tanking. I don't think this is a deal worth taking.

ktl5005

Reaction score
Good points and I also think the poster may save some on new vs used car financing. Even with financing through FCA. Many sources say used car values are tanking. I don't think this is a deal worth taking.
Well they gave me too middle for my trade came down on price 500 and got me 3.14% for 84

I have a monthly payment in head monthly I won’t go over even though I can. This truck brings me under that. New trucks with incentives built like this or near this don’t.

thank you all for your opinions and answering questions. I’m likely going with this truck.

VectorZ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had a '19 Limited 4x4 Hemi eTorque that was a June 2018 build. Aside from the recalls and groaning brakes it had no issues at all.

ktl5005

Reaction score
I had a '19 Limited 4x4 Hemi eTorque that was a June 2018 build. Aside from the recalls and groaning brakes it had no issues at all.
From what I was told this truck had no recalls and the brakes were resolved by previous owner and since then no issues

Granite2WD

Reaction score
Well they gave me too middle for my trade came down on price 500 and got me 3.14% for 84

I have a monthly payment in head monthly I won’t go over even though I can. This truck brings me under that. New trucks with incentives built like this or near this don’t.

thank you all for your opinions and answering questions. I’m likely going with this truck.
Also, be sure to do the math on if your state gives you a tax break for the credit of your trade-in on a new vehicle. This values in significance depending on the value of your trade. In my state, you get the tax break on new vehicle purchases but not used. Also, you can check out the Allstate rebate thing to see if you would qualify. Not sure if that's just for new vehicles or not. You don't need to be an Allstate customer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/