5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking at buying a 2019 sport 93000km

Ownage365th

Reaction score
hello everyone I'm looking at buying a 2019 sport crew cab long box that has 93,000km/58,000 mi - according to carfax it was used as a personal vehicle. Do you guys think this is a good buy and what issues should i look for before buying and should i get a extended warranty?

Ownage365th

Reaction score
thats what i think too, im trying to get the dealer to give me the maintaince records because carfax only shows the pre-delivery inspection.

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
agreed - unless it is an unbeatable price, that to me is high mileage and you can probably find something with much less. A lease coming back in wouldn't have that many miles already so whoever had that truck was driving a lot. Could have been a sales rep and a family truckster all in one. I would pass - unless again it's a steal then I might consider it.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I look at this a different way. I would rather have a truck that has been used. As long as the paint looks good and the interior is clean and attractive...miles like that means someone enjoyed the truck...and it wasnt sitting at the dealer getting work done.

My 2015 has 153,+++ miles on it. Because it treats me well and I use a truck...not just there to hold down the driveway or occupy a garage.

Price is right...buy away...

Edit: Note: this was assuming you checked the truck out for any obvious mechanical issues.
Heaven knows we know new trucks with 0 miles break if you read the posts here. It is all a gamble.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I look at this a different way. I would rather have a truck that has been used. As long as the paint looks good and the interior is clean and attractive...miles like that means someone enjoyed the truck...and it wasnt sitting at the dealer getting work done.

My 2015 has 153,+++ miles on it. Because it treats me well and I use a truck...not just there to hold down the driveway or occupy a garage.

Price is right...buy away...
You can put a lot of miles on a vehicle and still not maintain it. My mom had a Pontiac G8 GXP that looked immaculate on the inside and out...only one day I learned she drove the damn thing 60k miles (from new) without ever changing the oil. Only reason it came up was the oil light came on when I was visiting home once. Checked the dipstick and it was just....sludge.

It's people like my mother that make me question any used vehicle without maintenance records 🤣

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You can put a lot of miles on a vehicle and still not maintain it. My mom had a Pontiac G8 GXP that looked immaculate on the inside and out...only one day I learned she drove the damn thing 60k miles (from new) without ever changing the oil. Only reason it came up was the oil light came on when I was visiting home once. Checked the dipstick and it was just....sludge.

It's people like my mother that make me question any used vehicle without maintenance records 🤣
I understand that. But a truck with low miles doesnt mean it was taken any better care of.

Guess my opinion is in the minority on a site people buy and trade trucks like its a job.

:unsure:

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I understand that. But a truck with low miles doesnt mean it was taken any better care of.

Guess my opinion is in the minority on a site people buy and trade trucks like its a job.

:unsure:
I'm one of the people who has a history of buying and trading trucks like it's a job. But I've also bought a ton of used cars and trucks over the years. One thing I've learned is to never buy a used vehicle without seeing an accurate service history. Keeping them properly maintained is what keeps them living a long life.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm one of the people who has a history of buying and trading trucks like it's a job. But I've also bought a ton of used cars and trucks over the years. One thing I've learned is to never buy a used vehicle without seeing an accurate service history. Keeping them properly maintained is what keeps them living a long life.
I edited my post. I assumed that was being done. He made mention to asking for service records

My comment was just for the mileage comments.

Good times.

Ownage365th

Reaction score
Update, after looking at the trucks records I have passed on it the thing only had its oil changed twice, the truck looked great the owner before took care of the trucks looks but not its needs.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I know you've decided to pass on this; but the other thing to consider maybe next time is how many miles/years do you plan to keep it? If you drive very little, a high mileage truck like this one could last you years. A new truck with high miles just means it was driven on the freeway, that doesn't hurt it at all. Stuff like seat wear, door slambs, button usage etc that doesn't mean those items are high wear.

LHarv

Reaction score
First off, I just wanted to say that 93,000km is not high. It's literally 30,000KM past its factory warranty. I'd be willing to bet that the in service date was in 2018 therefor been on the road for close to/over 3 years. Hell, it still has the 5yr/100k power terrain warranty left. That covers a lot of the big stuff.

You didn't list a price so I can't tell you if it's a good deal but with a little extra extended warranty added at purchase, I wouldnt worry at all.

And just so you know , every service as small as oil changes are necessarily documented on car fax, etc. I get mine done every 5,000k at my local ram dealership and it's not on the actual car fax report, it's in their own service records.

Just my two cents.

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
hello everyone I'm looking at buying a 2019 sport crew cab long box that has 93,000km/58,000 mi - according to carfax it was used as a personal vehicle. Do you guys think this is a good buy and what issues should i look for before buying and should i get a extended warranty

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There were a lot of problems with the 19’s that have still carried on into 2021. I had a 19 bought back under lemon law. Not so sure my 21 with 4000 miles doesn’t have issues also. As others have said someone really drove that truck, so maybe it’s a good one. Or are the problems showing up now and it time to dump it? I would not buy it, but I like to buy new! If the price is great, maybe? Good luck with whatever you decide.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
First off, I just wanted to say that 93,000km is not high. It's literally 30,000KM past its factory warranty. I'd be willing to bet that the in service date was in 2018 therefor been on the road for close to/over 3 years. Hell, it still has the 5yr/100k power terrain warranty left. That covers a lot of the big stuff.

You didn't list a price so I can't tell you if it's a good deal but with a little extra extended warranty added at purchase, I wouldnt worry at all.

And just so you know , every service as small as oil changes are necessarily documented on car fax, etc. I get mine done every 5,000k at my local ram dealership and it's not on the actual car fax report, it's in their own service records.

Just my two cents.

I have to think you're right WRT the oil changes; I doubt an engine would last that long with only 2, he probably went to a quick oil/lube shop. (especially the hemi which does not do well with bad oil, would have had a lifter issue or he's very very lucky)

Ownage365th

Reaction score
I have to think you're right WRT the oil changes; I doubt an engine would last that long with only 2, he probably went to a quick oil/lube shop. (especially the hemi which does not do well with bad oil, would have had a lifter issue or he's very very lucky)
i had a chance to look at the dodge service record rather then just the car fax,but like you said they could've had it done somewhere's else.; 1st oil change was at 27000km 2nd was at 55000km. there were 3/4 service reports that could be sumed up as poor engine performance at 82076km, 84385km, 88300km and last report was at 91254km. this dealership bought it at auction and was trying to resell it, since me and two other's passed on it they are getting new engine to put in it as i got to witness the amount of sludge and shiny flakes when they drained the oil. the thing the bothers me most is that the sales staff or whoever did the test drive when the dealer got the truck didnt notice the lack of power.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread