5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Longtime GM owner. Considering Ram this time, either 1500 or 2500

jj888

Reaction score
Hello. I have owned some form of Chevy SUV since high school in the 90's and currently have a 20 year old Tahoe that I am ready to replace. While an SUV has been great for our family, I am ready to make the switch to a truck because we like to go camping a lot and would like to purchase a travel trailer in the next year or so. Naturally, I am considering a Silverado just because I am used to them and honestly have not had one issue with my Tahoe in 20 years, but want to look at everything out there. I am just casually looking for now as I am in no rush so could prolong this until the end of the year if I need to, but I did go by a couple of lots. I sat in and drove a Ram for the first time the other day and I have to admit, it looks way more modern and luxurious inside than the Silverado. The Silverado is nice but definitely has some resemblance of my 20 year old truck! The Ram felt like I was driving a car too and was amazed at the ride and the turning radius too. Anyways, I will definitely look more into Rams now that I drove one.

The other part of this equation is that when I first considered getting a truck this year, I just figured I would get something a few years old with not a lot of miles for around $30k. I then realized that the used truck inventory is pretty low and prices are up. I also started noticing that the payload capacity on half ton trucks varies but must of the used ones I looked at ranged in that 1500-1600 pound range. I figure once we load our family of 4 and a dog, that could potentially be about 700 pounds leaving only about 800-900 pounds of payload for the tongue weight of a trailer. Add a weight distributing hitch, and you are down to only 700 pounds left. With that math, at the very most I could tow a 7,000 pound trailer if the tongue weight is 10% of that but it would likely be more so I might be safer in the 5,000 pound range. It is just frustrating to see these trucks say they can tow 9,000 or 11,000 pounds or whatever but in reality you are limited by the payload. So all that now has me leaning more toward a 3/4 ton truck just so I don't have to be right on the limits and be careful with everything that gets loaded. The Ram I drove did have a 1,730 pound payload so there is a little more room. I'd like to get a 1500 because there is more selection, cheaper, better mileage, etc. but I am also don't want it to limit me. I think we have to get an idea of a trailer first and I have really only looked online but the biggest ones that may interest us have had a max weight of around 7,000 pounds loaded. So then looking at used 2500s of any brand, it seems like ones that are 4-5 years old have over 100k miles on them and are still $40k so now I started considering buying new. It is tough because I probably won't get a whole lot of use out of this as it will be our secondary vehicle (I have only averaged about 5k per year on the Tahoe over the last several years) so it is hard to justify spending that much, but on the other hand I probably will keep it forever like I did with my current one and keep it garaged so it should last a long time. It is nice knowing what the truck has been through by owning it since new which is probably a reason the Tahoe has been trouble free for so long because I have had it since new and know how I take care of it. I definitely do not need all of the options or leather or the diesel but would not like the bottom of the barrel either (the Bighorn model I drove seemed really nice). I know this is a long ways from the $30k I started from, but I guess if I had to go the new 2500 route, if it got up to $50k max I might go for that, if that is even possible. I don't know, sorry for all the rambling, I guess I am just throwing this out here to let people weigh in or try to set me on a path since I am all over the place, or even to convince me to lean toward Ram now. Thanks for reading!

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have a well optioned bighorn with 1750 pounds of payload. The 3.21 limits me to about 8000 pounds, but to me that is perfect. The balance between payload and tow capacity is "spot on" for my usage.

Rams definitely drive the nicest of all 1500's. However they are heavier on average than GM and Ford, so you get less payload on average as well. GM and Ford have more powerful engines available. The hemi is not a slouch by any means, it's just that they don't offer a true competitor to the 3.5 eco boost or the 6.2 from GM. The hemi fits in between the chevy 5.3 and 6.2, and between the 2.7 and 3.5 from Ford.

If you're careful, you can get a tradesman or basic bighorn with 1800+ pounds of payload, and then throw in the 3.92 and your real/usable rating will be about 9000 to 10,000 pounds depending on size of your family and cargo in the truck etc. But IMHO 8000 pounds is about max for the 1500 anyway, I'd rather pull north of that with a 2500 where the truck is all around bigger and heavier and much more in control.

As for "bottom of the barrel", just be careful with what features you add. Even a tradesman with 8inch screen and a "level 1" or "level 2" package is a great place to spend time in.

Toyota will be releasing details on their next generation truck (they do that every half century or so) probably very shortly, so I would definitely hold off until then since you're not in a hurry anyway. They generally make a very solid/reliable truck and if you can buy one when it just comes out as a new generation then it's also very competitive. Rumors are, v6 turbo only (no v8), but apparently it will "dominate" (don't laugh) so they do think it will be something special. The v6 should be lighter so payload might go up too.

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Honestly, if its going to be your secondary vehicle and you’re only putting 5k miles on a year I’d go with an HD truck. Then you have a lot more options for a trailer and won’t be pushing the limits of the truck. The only reason I have a 1500 is because it’s my daily driver and my families main vehicle. I’d much rather have a 2500 for my tow vehicle.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
x2 above. You are right where many many other family TT people are right now, needing something more substantial than the "ultralight" 22-24' range and wondering about just how capable the 1/2 ton (in name only) trucks really are.

If you search our threads and hone in on anything that talks about towing, you'll see that even here there are the "my 1500 can tow anything" to the "you need a 2500 gas if you tow north of 8-9K on a regular basis". Then there's the folks who only tow occasionally but don't want the stiff ride of the 2500 cause the truck is a daily driver. Since your truck won't be a daily driver I'd lean towards the gas 2500 to "future-proof" yourself for the day you go to the rv show/dealer and come home with a 30 footer. It happens.

I will speculate that even with your family and dog and all you could make this work with a 1500 BH (not a higher trim) and 3.92 with a good WDH setup. Just keep the options down (no sunroof or ramboxes) and stay hemi (with or w/o ET). You will find that if you are very careful of your loading, keep your speeds down and pay good $ for a quality hitch that you will be ok. Try to beef up your tires to LT rated ones and don't haul any water at first. Fill your tanks (including the propane on the tongue) closer to your destination.

I'll grab the popcorn cause you likely will get very differing opinions.

RedSox10NG

Reaction score
I came from GM and was sold on the interior and comfort of the RAM for my (growing) family. I have a used 2019 Big Horn 4x4 with about 1780 payload. I am under payload and max tow but I pull a 33 foot, 6.9k dry TT and I would not go any bigger. It is not "white knuckle," but it's not comfortable either. I'm most uneasy when getting passed by semis on I4 and I75 because of a push/pull sensation. We just take it slow and easy. Only "upgrade" I wish I had was a larger fuel tank, as I get only 9-10 mpg towing (23 gallon tank).

Otherwise it's the family daily driver and we love it for that!

Good luck, happy hunting!

RedSox10NG

Reaction score
In reference to your used price point, I bought a 2019 with 22k miles last year for around 28k out the door. I'm not sure what prices look like now, though.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
JJ, why not leave the crew at home and get this instead:

2019 DodgeChallenger SRT Hellcat Redeye Widebody Coupe

• 6.2L Supercharged V8 Engine
  • Automatic
  • 857 miles
  • 13/21 mpg City/Hwy
  • Go Mango! Exterior
  • Black Leather Interior
  • Stock #: 211303A
  • RWD
Price $81,985

Oh wait, the missus won't like that. Ok, here's something more family and TT friendly:

2017 Ram1500 Big horn Truck Crew Cab

• 5.7L V8 Engine
  • Automatic
  • 44,322 miles
  • 17/25 mpg City/Hwy
  • Bright Silver Metallic Clearcoat Exterior
  • Brown Cloth Interior
  • Stock #: 201174A
  • RWD
  • Electronic Shift
Price $28,935

I don't know, I kinda' like the Go Mango! color, silver metallic is so, 2010's...

jj888

Reaction score
Honestly, if its going to be your secondary vehicle and you’re only putting 5k miles on a year I’d go with an HD truck. Then you have a lot more options for a trailer and won’t be pushing the limits of the truck. The only reason I have a 1500 is because it’s my daily driver and my families main vehicle. I’d much rather have a 2500 for my tow vehicle.
That's a great point. I was trying to think of the disadvantage of a 2500 and MPG is the major one but with little usage, it should be pretty negligible. The ride is also probably a lot better than the 20 year old suspension I am used to!

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's a great point. I was trying to think of the disadvantage of a 2500 and MPG is the major one but with little usage, it should be pretty negligible. The ride is also probably a lot better than the 20 year old suspension I am used to!
It is especially, on the Ram 2500 because it has coil suspension. The 3500 has leaf suspension. I test drove a Ram 2500 and it actually ride pretty nice.

jj888

Reaction score
I came from GM and was sold on the interior and comfort of the RAM for my (growing) family. I have a used 2019 Big Horn 4x4 with about 1780 payload. I am under payload and max tow but I pull a 33 foot, 6.9k dry TT and I would not go any bigger. It is not "white knuckle," but it's not comfortable either. I'm most uneasy when getting passed by semis on I4 and I75 because of a push/pull sensation. We just take it slow and easy. Only "upgrade" I wish I had was a larger fuel tank, as I get only 9-10 mpg towing (23 gallon tank).

Otherwise it's the family daily driver and we love it for that!

Good luck, happy hunting!
I am glad you mentioned the fuel tank because I didn't think of that. That must be annoying to have to refuel every couple hundred miles.

When you say it is not white knuckle but not comfortable, would a 2500 make things more comfortable? I have never pulled a trailer that long or that tall but have read about the semi push/pull effect. If a 2500 is the same dimensions (I wouldn't get a long bed) as a 1500 with the 6.5 foot bed, how would it make things any different?

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
It is heavier and that helps keep the “tail from wagging the dog”.
Better payload too. As long as it is a gasser you wont have payload worries.

The 6.4 hemi will need the bigger fuel tank, you’ll not regret the longer bed if you get it. Campers carry lots of “stuff”.

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I second buying a 2500, I had purchased a 1500 over a year and a half ago and just recently made the jump to a 2500 because COVID pushed us to purchase a camper earlier than we had planned. I don't have any reports on the 2500 yet but I was comfortable with towing our 32' camper with the 1500, definitely not underpowered by any means but there was a small amount of sway on occasion. I suspect going to an E rated over the XL would be an improvement but I never got to find out.
I went from 1650lb payload to 3000lbs, we will be able to pull this camper and the next for many years.

I strongly suggest you look for a 2019+ 6.4 Hemi as the 8 speed and shift points make a world of difference over the 6 speed, take a couple test drives and you'll see what I mean. It drives more like a truck and less like an econo box. The ride is stiff, but isn't overly rough. My commute sucks for gas mileage and is slowly getting above 12 mpg as the weather warms up but my 1500 only got about 4 mpg better than that during the summer.
The standard 32/33 gallon tank is nice over the 26 in the 1500, though it really doesn't change the possible range much . There is an optional 50 gallon tank with the 8' bed.

I'm really looking forward to the extra space in the bed for gear while pulling the camper.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
I second buying a 2500, I had purchased a 1500 over a year and a half ago and just recently made the jump to a 2500 because COVID pushed us to purchase a camper earlier than we had planned. I don't have any reports on the 2500 yet but I was comfortable with towing our 32' camper with the 1500, definitely not underpowered by any means but there was a small amount of sway on occasion. I suspect going to an E rated over the XL would be an improvement but I never got to find out.
I went from 1650lb payload to 3000lbs, we will be able to pull this camper and the next for many years.

I strongly suggest you look for a 2019+ 6.4 Hemi as the 8 speed and shift points make a world of difference over the 6 speed, take a couple test drives and you'll see what I mean. It drives more like a truck and less like an econo box. The ride is stiff, but isn't overly rough. My commute sucks for gas mileage and is slowly getting above 12 mpg as the weather warms up but my 1500 only got about 4 mpg better than that during the summer.
The standard 32/33 gallon tank is nice over the 26 in the 1500, though it really doesn't change the possible range much . There is an optional 50 gallon tank with the 8' bed.

I'm really looking forward to the extra space in the bed for gear while pulling the camper.
"I went from 1650lb payload to 3000lbs, we will be able to pull this camper and the next for many years."
That says it all right there. Peeps pushing their payload limits (per the yellow sticker) should just accept that the 1500 isn't the best choice to tow heavy with, airbags, Timbrens and all other possible mods not withstanding. Now I get the ride, mpg's arguement however you have to choose between a nice towing experience and a difficult one, as well as "can we take this along" answers being Yes instead of No.

That's perhaps a simplification but I doubt that there are many 2500 gas owners that wish they'd have stayed with a 1500 compared to 1500 owners that wish they'd have upgraded to a 2500. Just the "futureproofing" makes it worthwhile.

jj888

Reaction score
I think you guys make great points and I am probably in a good situation where I can choose a truck now rather than have to just make what I have work. It does sound nice to not have to worry about what I can load in the truck or shift stuff around in the trailer to distribute weight. From my understanding, it sounds like it is actually better to have the tongue weight heavier if under the limits to reduce trailer sway so this would allow for that. I'll have to drive a few but if I decide to go this route, I'll have to custom order but hopefully that is not too big of a problem with chip shortages and delays. I guess the good thing is I am not in a rush for this, but would like it by the end of the year.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I too went back and forth between 1/2 and 3/4 ton. My deciding factor was the interior.

Staying with a crew cab and not Mega Cab, the 3/4 Ram’s back seat is much smaller, no pano roof and no telescoping steering wheel which is also slightly off center.

Last edited:

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The 2500 is HD and beefier all-around even though it's similar in dimensions to the 1500.

I'm coming from 20+ years of Ford trucks and my RAM has been great. I have a well-optioned Big Horn and my payload is not much over 1400 lbs.

I don't plan on pulling much besides an occasional utility or U-Haul trailer so my 3.21 gears are just fine with me.

I'm coming from a Ford F-250 diesel. If I had any intentions of towing a travel trailer over 6000 lbs loaded I would have stayed in the heavy duty "club". In addition to the weight you have to consider the cross-section of the trailer. Travel trailers are tall which presents a large flat surface that is affected by weather conditions (especially wind).

There are plenty of opportunities for the "tail to wag the dog" as Willwork4truck mentioned. Cross-wind isn't always Mother Nature's doing...ever passed a semi truck on the freeway? Even though my 2003 did not carry the power of today's diesels I had no problem controlling a load with my 7800 lb truck. It was also nice to have a beefy full-floating rear axle to support the weight.

There's more that goes into towing than just the numbers and being "within limits". Too many salesman just pitching the numbers. Whether they don't know any better or are just trying to get the sale, the consumer gets screwed out of what they really needed. 2500s are not cheap so you have to decide what your ultimate goal is and either get the nice truck (and go smaller on the trailer) or get an older truck and get the trailer you want.

As for mileage, it's not as big a deal for a diesel. I bought my F-250 truck 4 years old and it had 150,000 miles on the odometer. Truck was still running strong when it got totaled in an accident (not my fault) with 320,000 miles on the odometer. If the truck was in good shape for a good price I wouldn't hesitate to buy a diesel with 100K on the clock (or a 6.4L gasser for that matter).

This is my first new vehicle so I'm used to seeing 100K+ on the odometer of my vehicles. Things will age but if you take care of it you will get years of enjoyment and safe towing.

I would not have a problem towing a small single axle TT around with my 1500 but anything with more than one axle (no matter the size or weight) I would be looking at used 2500s in my price range (diesel or gas 6.4L). Even with a WDH and sway control the HD truck is more planted and makes for a safer and more comfortable driving experience as you deal with:

- cross-winds (tail doesn't wag the dog)
- traffic (people cutting you off all the time thinking the gap you left in front of you is for them instead of your reaction time...and the HD brakes are better than the LD brakes)
- larger traffic (semi trucks, delivery trucks, other people towing trailers, etc., create a lot of unexpected turbulent conditions)
- unforeseen circumstances (flat/blowout tire, road debris, accidents, evasive maneuvers).

Yes some of it is overkill and I'm sure plenty of people just go by the numbers but I prefer a margin of safety and enjoy a comfortable towing experience rather than hook it up, drag it there, then unhitch.

I'll get off my soapbox. ;)

Just my .02

Last edited:

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So Brian I guess youre not a “but the Tundra towed the space shuttle” adherent? Talk about cross section...
I would say more like "move" the space shuttle. ;)

Marketing is big business for a reason. They are well-versed in grabbing you in 30-60 seconds. Yes that's impressive but what they fail to tell you is that most likely any of the other trucks in the class could have done the same thing if they thought of it first.

"Most towing capacity", "Most horsepower", etc. don't really drive my purchase decisions. You have high towing capacity? Great, but what if it has the lowest GVWR? Not so good. Most horsepower? Sure, by 3 Hp. I'll never notice the difference.

Quick story: in my younger years I went vehicle shopping. The salesman couldn't answer any question about the mechanics of the truck but he was determined to get me into the vehicle and his selling point was that "it's the same color as the one on the brochure".

I'm more OCD than most but I am also practical. As much as I'd love a new vehicle (this is my first one and I feel spoiled even though I'm over 50) I would buy what I needed to be comfortable. If that's looking at 4-year-old trucks instead of brand new, so be it.

I grew up where "getting there was half the fun" and have carried that forward with my family. If I'm towing at capacity, trying to control the trailer, wondering if something is going to break, and white-knuckle driving then that's not fun. For me, travelling has always been an enjoyable experience and if I'm always worrying it's not worth it.

I see plenty of people driving around (and passing me) overloaded, no WDH, no tow mirrors, and (probably) way over capacity of the truck. That's their decision and it will eventually catch up with them.

Just my .03 ;) (y)

jj888

Reaction score
I would say more like "move" the space shuttle. ;)

Marketing is big business for a reason. They are well-versed in grabbing you in 30-60 seconds. Yes that's impressive but what they fail to tell you is that most likely any of the other trucks in the class could have done the same thing if they thought of it first.

"Most towing capacity", "Most horsepower", etc. don't really drive my purchase decisions. You have high towing capacity? Great, but what if it has the lowest GVWR? Not so good. Most horsepower? Sure, by 3 Hp. I'll never notice the difference.

Quick story: in my younger years I went vehicle shopping. The salesman couldn't answer any question about the mechanics of the truck but he was determined to get me into the vehicle and his selling point was that "it's the same color as the one on the brochure".

I'm more OCD than most but I am also practical. As much as I'd love a new vehicle (this is my first one and I feel spoiled even though I'm over 50) I would buy what I needed to be comfortable. If that's looking at 4-year-old trucks instead of brand new, so be it.

I grew up where "getting there was half the fun" and have carried that forward with my family. If I'm towing at capacity, trying to control the trailer, wondering if something is going to break, and white-knuckle driving then that's not fun. For me, travelling has always been an enjoyable experience and if I'm always worrying it's not worth it.

I see plenty of people driving around (and passing me) overloaded, no WDH, no tow mirrors, and (probably) way over capacity of the truck. That's their decision and it will eventually catch up with them.

Just my .03 ;) (y)
I appreciate your .02 and .03! I think I am overly cautious as well especially with my family being involved. It just kind of hit me recently that I am driving a 20 year old truck and while I take care of it and feel it is safe, part of it just doesn't feel "as safe" anymore as a new one so I figure if I am getting something new, I may as well do it right. The main concern was the payload and having to worry about being careful what I can load in the truck, but I never thought of other aspects like the heavier truck being more stable or the brakes being better. I had a blowout once in a boat trailer a long time ago so ever since I have been extra careful with trailers to the point of constantly checking the air pressure and lug nuts and making sure the bearings don't feel too hot. Seeing that I tend to keep vehicles for a very long time (I have had my current one 20 years), I don't mind spending a little more to get exactly what I want. Thank you for this advice.

Users who are viewing this thread