5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Longtime GM owner. Considering Ram this time, either 1500 or 2500

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I would say more like "move" the space shuttle. ;)

Marketing is big business for a reason. They are well-versed in grabbing you in 30-60 seconds. Yes that's impressive but what they fail to tell you is that most likely any of the other trucks in the class could have done the same thing if they thought of it first.

"Most towing capacity", "Most horsepower", etc. don't really drive my purchase decisions. You have high towing capacity? Great, but what if it has the lowest GVWR? Not so good. Most horsepower? Sure, by 3 Hp. I'll never notice the difference.

Quick story: in my younger years I went vehicle shopping. The salesman couldn't answer any question about the mechanics of the truck but he was determined to get me into the vehicle and his selling point was that "it's the same color as the one on the brochure".

I'm more OCD than most but I am also practical. As much as I'd love a new vehicle (this is my first one and I feel spoiled even though I'm over 50) I would buy what I needed to be comfortable. If that's looking at 4-year-old trucks instead of brand new, so be it.

I grew up where "getting there was half the fun" and have carried that forward with my family. If I'm towing at capacity, trying to control the trailer, wondering if something is going to break, and white-knuckle driving then that's not fun. For me, travelling has always been an enjoyable experience and if I'm always worrying it's not worth it.

I see plenty of people driving around (and passing me) overloaded, no WDH, no tow mirrors, and (probably) way over capacity of the truck. That's their decision and it will eventually catch up with them.

Just my .03 ;) (y)
Hey, I’m the old geezer here who tells stories about “back when”, get your own forum!
🤣

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I appreciate your .02 and .03! I think I am overly cautious as well especially with my family being involved. It just kind of hit me recently that I am driving a 20 year old truck and while I take care of it and feel it is safe, part of it just doesn't feel "as safe" anymore as a new one so I figure if I am getting something new, I may as well do it right. The main concern was the payload and having to worry about being careful what I can load in the truck, but I never thought of other aspects like the heavier truck being more stable or the brakes being better. I had a blowout once in a boat trailer a long time ago so ever since I have been extra careful with trailers to the point of constantly checking the air pressure and lug nuts and making sure the bearings don't feel too hot. Seeing that I tend to keep vehicles for a very long time (I have had my current one 20 years), I don't mind spending a little more to get exactly what I want. Thank you for this advice.
Happy to offer a perspective.

This is my 3rd truck in 20 years. I would still have my F-250 instead of my RAM if it wasn't totaled. I love all the new technology that I would never have considered possible in my dinosaur but I miss that my old truck was 80% mechanical and I could replace just about anything in my driveway (or side of the road) with a set of tools. Everything has its trade-offs, however, I definitely don't miss thinking that every unfamiliar noise is something that just broke.

Hey, I’m the old geezer here who tells stories about “back when”, get your own forum!
🤣
I can't help my age. ;)

I've told my share of "you think you have it bad, back when I was your age..." stories that my kids have rolled their eyes to.

When I talk about timing guns and carburetors fewer and fewer people know what I'm talking about. We're a dying breed. :(

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread