5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Longhorn Instead of Limited because of Interior Trim

Did you compromise your Limited purchase because of trim?

• Yes - Bought a Longhorn for the Black/Saddle Brown

Votes: 22 56.4%
  • Yes - Bought a Longhorn for the Mountain Brown/Light Mountain Brown

Votes: 10 25.6%
  • No - Bought a Limited, wish it had Black/Saddle Brown

Votes: 4 10.3%
  • No - Bought a Limited, wish it had Black/Light Mountain Brown (In leather)

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • No - Bought a Limited, wish it had Black/Light Frost Beige (In leather)

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I’m in the opposite camp. Coming from a topped out MB SUV, I was looking for the “black tie” look, and one look at the Limited sealed the deal.
The cowboy appearance of the Longhorn is not my thing. Nothing wrong with it, just not my cup of tea.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I’m in the opposite camp. Coming from a topped out MB SUV, I was looking for the “black tie” look, and one look at the Limited sealed the deal.
The cowboy appearance of the Longhorn is not my thing. Nothing wrong with it, just not my cup of tea.
My wife has an Audi SUV for the "black tie" days ;)

Skater

Reaction score
I am with Neurobit on this one. I had an MB E65 AMG, then went to Ford F-150 Platinum to be able to carry kiddos' stuff around and remembered from when I was young that I am really a truck guy. I need the space to carry junk in the trunk (bed), but want the "black tie" look with the comforts of the MB. The Limited has the accomplished accommodation which suffonsify my sufficients.

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When I was shopping 9 months ago I would have taken either a Longhorn or Limited if they had the options I wanted. Love them both.

Limited was available so I went with that.

river rat

Reaction score
Not sure I would use the word "compromise" given the limited has a higher starting msrp.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
And when fully equipped the Longhorn costs more which makes no sense.
A la carte always costs more. As a Texan working for a software developer, a loaded Longhorn made perfect sense for me. I’m glad Ram offers it, and I’m betting it’s much rarer than the Limited in terms of total production numbers.

I saw a great-looking Limited in Maximum Steel and Ivory in my local dealer showroom. But the Black/New Saddle Longhorn had already won me over at the auto show. I took my wife for a test drive, and her response was something like “I don’t know why we’re bothering with this; this is the nicest vehicle I’ve been in.” She and I had just been cross-shopping MB, Audi, BMW, Cadillac, Volvo, etc. for her SUV. That was that.

Sir Ramcelot

Reaction score
A la carte always costs more. As a Texan working for a software developer, a loaded Longhorn made perfect sense for me. I’m glad Ram offers it, and I’m betting it’s much rarer than the Limited in terms of total production numbers.

I saw a great-looking Limited in Maximum Steel and Ivory in my local dealer showroom. But the Black/New Saddle Longhorn had already won me over at the auto show. I took my wife for a test drive, and her response was something like “I don’t know why we’re bothering with this; this is the nicest vehicle I’ve been in.” She and I had just been cross-shopping MB, Audi, BMW, Cadillac, Volvo, etc. for her SUV. That was that.

I live in Texas too and I ordered a 2014 Longhorn so I'm very familiar with it :) I never even considered the Limiteds back then because it meant only one choice of interior (all black which I don't like). That said, I was happy to see the Limited offered a second interior option and I love the Indigo/Frost which is what I plan to get. I actually prefer the Longhorn badging to the boring block letters the Limited uses but the a-la-carte has nothing to do with the pricing at least in my scenario below because the trucks are equally equipped. I was also considering a Saddle/Black Longhorn (had the same color combo on my 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland) until I ran the pricing comparisons several months back.

In my case:
Longhorn build = ETorque, Anti-Spin, 3.92, Air Suspension, 33-gallon, Level 1, ASG, Body Color, BUG, Max Steel, 22" Wheels, MFT, RamBox, DualPane, Trailer Brake
Limited build = ETorque, Anti-Spin, 3.92, 33-gallon, Level 1, Body Color, BUG, Max Steel, 22" Wheels, MFT, RamBox, DualPane, Trailer Brake

The cost? Longhorn is $73475 MSRP and Limited is $71650 MSRP which is absurd as that's a $1825 higher price for the Longhorn when the Longhorn and Limited are the same top level trim with different design/color options. I can't speak for every build scenario but it makes zero sense to pay almost $2K for a Longhorn for me. The only thing the Limited comes with the Longhorn doesn't is the Air Suspension which obviously can be added to the Longhorn and the ASG is included in the Limited Level 1 but is a stand-alone option on the Longhorn but they are equal in features in my build. The way they have the Longhorns, they're much harder to find the way I want equipped because Air Suspension and ASG make it difficult where as most Limiteds have Level 1 which includes ASG and they come standard with the Air Suspension. Of course the MFT and RamBox combo are unicorns for lots when combined with the Indigo/Frost :)

I actually like the look of the Black Appearance Limited but only being able to get black leather interior took that out of the running but if you could get the Indigo/Frost on the inside and the Black Appearance on the outside I'd be game!

As it stands, I haven't had any luck finding the Limited I want in either MaxSteel or TrueBlue so I'll likely be ordering a 2021.

Last edited:

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I live in Texas too and I ordered a 2014 Longhorn so I'm very familiar with it :) I never even considered the Limiteds back then because it meant only onc choice of interior (all black which I don't like). That said, I was happy to see the Limited offered a second interior option and I love the Indigo/Frost which is what I plan to get. I actually prefer the Longhorn badging to the boring block letters the Limited uses but the a-la-carte has nothing to do with the pricing at least in my scenario below because the trucks are equally equipped. I was also considering a Saddle/Black Longhorn (had the same color combo on my 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland) until I ran the pricing comparisons several months back.

In my case:
Longhorn build = ETorque, Anti-Spin, 3.92, Air Suspension, 33-gallon, Level 1, ASG, Body Color, BUG, Max Steel, 22" Wheels, MFT, RamBox, DualPane, Trailer Brake
Limited build = ETorque, Anti-Spin, 3.92, 33-gallon, Level 1, Body Color, BUG, Max Steel, 22" Wheels, MFT, RamBox, DualPane, Trailer Brake

The cost? Longhorn is $73475 MSRP and Limited is $71650 MSRP which is absurd as that's a $1825 higher price for the Longhorn when the Longhorn and Limited are the same top level trim with different design/color options. I can't speak for every build scenario but it makes zero sense to pay almost $2K for a Longhorn for me. The only thing the Limited comes with the Longhorn doesn't is the Air Suspension which obviously can be added to the Longhorn and the ASG is included in the Limited Level 1 but s a stand-alone option on the Longhorn but they are equal in features in my build. The way they have the Longhorns, they're much harder to find the way I want equipped because Air Suspension and ASG make it difficult where as most Limiteds have Level 1 which includes ASG and they come standard with the Air Suspension. Of course the MFT and RamBox combo are unicorns for lots when combined with the Indigo/Frost :)

I actually like the look of the Black Appearance Limited but only being able to get black leather interior took that out of the running but if you could get the Indigo/Frost on the inside and the Black Appearance on the outside I'd be game!

As it stands, I haven't had any luck finding the Limited I want in either MaxSteel or TrueBlue so I'll likely be ordering a 2021.
I’m well aware of the pricing...just look at my options list ;) The only boxes I didn’t check (that were available when I ordered in May 2018) were the engine block heater and trailer-tow group (I ordered the trailer brake control separately, as I didn’t want those awful tow mirrors).

Back then, the price difference was similar (loaded Longhorn vs loaded Limited)...but then again, you can build a $70K Laramie if you really want to.

smashweights

Reaction score
I originally was attracted the the RAM for the Longhorn trim and spec'd it out. Loved the branded barn wood trim and colors. But when I finally got in one I realized I wasn't country enough for it. The Indigo/Frost Limited looked amazing and went well with a white exterior for the hot gulf coast.

To the previous poster, the blue is remarkably dark. In some light you can't tell it isn't black. But the subtlety looks great.

Sir Ramcelot

Reaction score
I’m well aware of the pricing...just look at my options list ;) The only boxes I didn’t check (that were available when I ordered in May 2018) were the engine block heater and trailer-tow group (I ordered the trailer brake control separately, as I didn’t want those awful tow mirrors).

Back then, the price difference was similar (loaded Longhorn vs loaded Limited)...but then again, you can build a $70K Laramie if you really want to.

Haha yeah you like ‘em loaded like me. And yes you can spec a Laramie over $70k which is nuts. The trailer tow mirrors are silly. The fact that they still don’t have power fold tow mirrors and where you can still get surround view is silly. GM and Ford have power fold mirrors. I got the tow package on my 2014 Longhorn but said I wouldn’t get tow mirrors again because the manual fold is a pain when you park and are driving solo.

Last edited:

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I bought the Longhorn specifically because of the tan interior. No regrets.

Attachments

• CC276D7E-81AF-44F2-B505-AF16E1C0E6A1.jpeg
    CC276D7E-81AF-44F2-B505-AF16E1C0E6A1.jpeg
    161.1 KB · Views: 80
  • C10BB8B1-0B51-4D72-8835-5B15197B0474.jpeg
    C10BB8B1-0B51-4D72-8835-5B15197B0474.jpeg
    117.4 KB · Views: 76

shurik74

Reaction score
I purchased 2020 1500 Longhorn just because of black/saddle interior :)

hunter1234

Reaction score
I would agree on getting some of the other model options on the various levels. I like the longhorn but could not get the 6 passenger seating, I hate the center counsel as it is a knee banger for me (long legs and two knee surgeries and the knee bounces jut right on that counsel that I need a little pillow between the knee and the counsel for the long commutes) - been that way in every vehicle I have test drove and I always opt for no center counsel. I find I have plenty center cargo room in the fold down six seat version of my 2016 Laramie and just order my 2020 Laramie with the 6 seat configuration (and I have even carried 6 adults though would not recommend long trips with 6 adults), after that I loaded it with every other option available for that model - about the only thing I think I am missing from a longhorn that I would have liked is the upgraded leather and wood look, full led headlamps (though not sure how much better they are than the Laramie LEDs) and the ventilated rear seats.

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I walked in with my wife to buy a run of the mill big horn. My wife saw the interior of the longhorn black saddle and I got hit up with a 18k upcharge but after jumping into that cab every day over the last year and a half I've learned to always trust the boss, lol

bfhawki

Reaction score
If they would have offered the Limited with the light brown interior with the brown carpets, I would have bought it. Ordered my Longhorn without the filigree, don’t care for the stitching but I didn’t want black carpets in the Limited

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would agree on getting some of the other model options on the various levels. I like the longhorn but could not get the 6 passenger seating, I hate the center counsel as it is a knee banger for me (long legs and two knee surgeries and the knee bounces jut right on that counsel that I need a little pillow between the knee and the counsel for the long commutes) - been that way in every vehicle I have test drove and I always opt for no center counsel. I find I have plenty center cargo room in the fold down six seat version of my 2016 Laramie and just order my 2020 Laramie with the 6 seat configuration (and I have even carried 6 adults though would not recommend long trips with 6 adults), after that I loaded it with every other option available for that model - about the only thing I think I am missing from a longhorn that I would have liked is the upgraded leather and wood look, full led headlamps (though not sure how much better they are than the Laramie LEDs) and the ventilated rear seats.
You can do a swap for a bench seat, it's been done. The real trick would be buying a seat cover and making it fit the folding bench seat. It's not outside the realm of possibility or cost to buy or remove a FCA seat cover and have an upholstry shop either make one fit or fab one up that matches.

Users who are viewing this thread