5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Longhorn Instead of Limited because of Interior Trim

Did you compromise your Limited purchase because of trim?

• Yes - Bought a Longhorn for the Black/Saddle Brown

Votes: 22 56.4%
  • Yes - Bought a Longhorn for the Mountain Brown/Light Mountain Brown

Votes: 10 25.6%
  • No - Bought a Limited, wish it had Black/Saddle Brown

Votes: 4 10.3%
  • No - Bought a Limited, wish it had Black/Light Mountain Brown (In leather)

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • No - Bought a Limited, wish it had Black/Light Frost Beige (In leather)

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters

RamShark

Reaction score
I find it interesting that the Limited has only two trim options, while the Big Horn has 4. My impression is that the Indigo/Frost combination appeals to a fairly select number of people. On the other hand, with Black/New Saddle being such a good colour combination, buyers are drawn away from the Limited just to get it.

Now, I understand that a fully loaded Longhorn gives you everything (higher cost), but as we all "know" a lesser model with more options has a lower resale value than higher model with less options.

I think a Limited version of Black/Saddle Brown with less Western themed accents would go down very well.

Edit : Please vote

ExtinctBird

Reaction score
It is my wife's truck, and she liked the interior trim and colors of the Longhorn better. I was able to find our truck will all the options we wanted online and get it shipped to us.
- Lighter colors more important to us with half the year spent in FL.
- Liked the look of the wood trim better in the Longhorn.
- Preferred the stitching and country theme of the interior.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I find it interesting that the Limited has only two trim options, while the Big Horn has 4. My impression is that the Indigo/Frost combination appeals to a fairly select number of people. On the other hand, with Black/New Saddle being such a good colour combination, buyers are drawn away from the Limited just to get it.

Now, I understand that a fully loaded Longhorn gives you everything (higher cost), but as we all "know" a lesser model with more options has a lower resale value than higher model with less options.

I think a Limited version of Black/Saddle Brown with less Western themed accents would go down very well.

Edit : Please vote
I will add that in addition to the black/saddle interior, I opted for the Longhorn because I liked the grille and wheels better than the Limited. The only thing I don't prefer about the Longhorn is the exterior badging.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just did not want a back interior. at all. anywhere. Black interiors SUCK in Florida. The 2018 limiteds you could get an all tan/indigo Frost interior including the dash on the limited. 2019 and 2020 you always got the black dash.

I also adamantly DID NOT want a sunroof. Again Florida. Sunroof will practically never be used and will always leak at some point. It was very hard to find a 2020 longhorn fully loaded ecodiesel 4x4 with ramboxes and all brown interior without a sunroof. I'm pretty sure I have the only one in the state.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I will add that in addition to the black/saddle interior, I opted for the Longhorn because I liked the grille and wheels better than the Limited. The only thing I don't prefer about the Longhorn is the exterior badging.
Badges are easy to change compared in interior parts. You could have a 3500 Cummins, Limited, Longhorn, Bighorn, Lonestar Ram easy.

RamShark

Reaction score
The only thing I don't prefer about the Longhorn is the exterior badging.

Fair enough. Thought about that too. However, I've seen some videos on the internet. Looks fairly easy to remove those badges. Certainly what I would consider. Pity there's no way to get rid of the saddle bags.

RamShark

Reaction score
I just did not want a back interior. at all. anywhere.

The blue in the limited is just such a unique colour choice. Doesn't really match well with all the exterior colours. Even a black/frost leather interior would be better.

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My first choice interior was the indigo frost and then the longhorn black and saddle tan. Glad I got the limited as I actually like the limited grille more than the longhorn and I didn’t initially

RamShark

Reaction score
My first choice interior was the indigo frost and then the longhorn black and saddle tan.

How does the blue show up against the Ivory? If you'd had a choice of a vehicle where the blue was black instead?

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Badges are easy to change compared in interior parts. You could have a 3500 Cummins, Limited, Longhorn, Bighorn, Lonestar Ram easy.
I didn’t say I wanted to change ‘em. I just might’ve designed them a little differently ;)

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I didn’t say I wanted to change ‘em. I just might’ve designed them a little differently ;)
it's 2020 3d print whatever you want. They make some great metallic filler or you can get a resin printer and plate/paint it.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
It's my opinion that it's silly that they separate these two models. They should just combine the two models and let the buyer choose options from either of them. Lets face it, both models are the top of the line. Cost differences are negligible. Someone who is willing to fork out that kind of money for a pickup truck should be able to choose what they want in the top model. But that's just the opinion of a lowly truck buyer.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's my opinion that it's silly that they separate these two models. They should just combine the two models and let the buyer choose options from either of them. Lets face it, both models are the top of the line. Cost differences are negligible. Someone who is willing to fork out that kind of money for a pickup truck should be able to choose what they want in the top model. But that's just the opinion of a lowly truck buyer.
They are different styles. The limited is more sleek black elegance its metallic and ebony and carbon fiber. Then Longhorn is country. It has barbed wire themes and saddlebags ( which would be nice if they actually were usable ).

I agree, I would have done a factory order if not for covid and knowing production was going to tank and deals would get tighter after the first wave of major discounts blew out all the inventory of desirable vehicles and left the strippers.

I also think if you are doing a factory order you should be able to get whatever you want, not just pick packages. You should be able to get anything in the book installed or not and any color interior or paint on offer across the entire brand.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Their biggest "miss", in my opinion, is having "Laramie" in the "Laramie Longhorn" name. It's confusing. The Longhorn and Limited are clearly the flagship trucks, while the Laramie is a great mid-range balance of features vs. price.

I agree with part of what @Aseras says; there's a "blue jeans and boots" vibe to the Longhorn, while the Limited is a little more "black tie" in feel.

If you don't like the approach Ram has taken, you'll want to stay away from Ford. Trying to suss out all of the differences between a King Ranch, Platinum, AND Limited is even more confusing! (I want the Limited powertrain with King Ranch interior and Platinum brushed accents...can you do that?)

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
They are different styles. The limited is more sleek black elegance its metallic and ebony and carbon fiber. Then Longhorn is country. It has barbed wire themes and saddlebags ( which would be nice if they actually were usable ).

I agree, I would have done a factory order if not for covid and knowing production was going to tank and deals would get tighter after the first wave of major discounts blew out all the inventory of desirable vehicles and left the strippers.

I also think if you are doing a factory order you should be able to get whatever you want, not just pick packages. You should be able to get anything in the book installed or not and any color interior or paint on offer across the entire brand.

Yeah, I'm aware of the differences between the two. I just think there should be more flexibility on options when you're buying a $70k truck. I love the Longhorn interior, but would also want to have the blackout package you can get with the Limited to eliminate the chrome grille. I really don't like chrome LOL. The rest of the options I would want are available on both models.

bfhawki

Reaction score
I ordered mine with the light tan without the filigree stitching. I wish that if you didn’t get the filigree in the seats, that all the other filigree accents would be gone also. I really don’t want the buckles on the back of the seats or the barbed wire on the floor mats but most of all, I didn’t want any black interior. I didn’t get the sunroof either. We haven’t had a day under 95* for over two weeks and it even isn’t August yet.

Users who are viewing this thread