5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Long term storage

renzo2213

Reaction score
Hey guys, I just need some help trying to figure out what to do. I might be going away for a little bit and not have my truck for maybe up to a year, depending on what goes on. My wife will be at home but isn’t comfortable driving the truck because it’s too big. Would just starting it every day and drive a few miles a week be okay? Or would it have to be used more? I’m just not trying to ruin anything. Last time we left, my buddy’s car had to have the radiator replaced because it wasn’t used for the period of time we might be going out for again. Any info helps, thank you in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

d19r93

Reaction score
Hey guys, I just need some help trying to figure out what to do. I might be going away for a little bit and not have my truck for maybe up to a year, depending on what goes on. My wife will be at home but isn’t comfortable driving the truck because it’s too big. Would just starting it every day and drive a few miles a week be okay? Or would it have to be used more? I’m just not trying to ruin anything. Last time we left, my buddy’s car had to have the radiator replaced because it wasn’t used for the period of time we might be going out for again. Any info helps, thank you in advance!

As long as she starts it and moves it around the block a few times a month, I'd say you're going to be okay. Maybe get a solar maintainer for the battery, but that's not a huge deal. Good luck on whatever you have going on!

renzo2213

Reaction score
As long as she starts it and moves it around the block a few times a month, I'd say you're going to be okay. Maybe get a solar maintainer for the battery, but that's not a huge deal. Good luck on whatever you have going on!

Thank you! I appreciate it, just waiting on word with the whole Iran thing

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It will be fine if it can get a couple miles of driving every few months. I store my Miata all winter and maybe drive it 50 miles in 5-6 months and it doesn't know the difference.

If it can't be driven, the tires will get flat spots sitting for a year. Parking it on gravel will lessen the chance but it will still be prone to flat spots. Pump the tire pressure up a bit and it will counter that somewhat.

Overall though it's not a huge deal. When I was in the Navy we would go out to sea for 6-9 months, and cars were left in cruise parking and still started just fine. Most guys would pull the battery cable while their car was sitting. You can add a little Sta-bil to the gasoline and it won't go stake while you are gone.

Shanesrt8

Reaction score
Fresh oil, Stabil in the fuel and make sure to drive it a few miles every 4-6 weeks. If the truck is subject to cold temps a battery tender wouldn't hurt either.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My son is fixing to get deployed to “play in the sand stan”... his wife will drive the 19 Limited so no issue there, but the lowly 14 Jeep wont move unless I drive up the 1.5 hrs and move it, which I plan to do every month. I left him my craptastic HF 2/10 amp charger, and told him to leave it on the 2 amp setting.
I will take care of circulating the fluids and keeping the tires from going flat.

if it was up to his wife she’d likely drive it once a week but she doesn’t know how to tell if anything is low or needing attention, other than the gas gauge. No disrespect meant, cars just aren’t her “thing”. In that case it’s wise to have a relative or neighbor/friend check. As far as the stabil, that’s fine for real storage but not needed for monthly drives.

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you need someone to “exercise it” (carefully, of course), please advise...
I'm still trying to get used to this Michigan weather. This time of year was the prime time of the year for playing with the toys in Florida. Summer, we'd pretty much put them away for about 3 months because of the daily thunderstorms. Everything is flip-flopped for me now. I'll keep it exercised.... But thanks for the offer. ;)

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score

When I deployed with the Navy, I left my 2012 JKU sitting for nine months. My wife drove it maybe once a month for a few miles. I didn't have any problems. Over the 24 years that I deployed with the Navy; I just literally just locked my cars up and walked away. The only thing that I would recommend is that you put ethanol free gas in it before you go; with maybe a little fuel stabilizer.

renzo2213

Reaction score
Thank you everyone! I’ll just have my wife and my dad drive it around a few times a week since he lives in the same town

Users who are viewing this thread