5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

long term ownership 10+ years

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I average about 18 months on a truck.

I've had several new ones and lots of used ones. You can either make a monthly payment or spend it replacing parts.

There are people who spend hundreds if not thousands annually on hobbies. Golf, hunting, travel, etc. I like Jeeps and trucks.

Nobody should tell another guy what to spend his earned money on. Life is short. Be happy.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Depends, I've kept a couple vehicles almost 10 years. The thing is the newer vehicles are much more complex and expensive to fix when they do break, so it's not quit the same as it was even 10-15 years ago. It used to be you could change your headlight bulb in 5 minutes now you have to disassemble the front end and replace the entire headlight for example.

Last edited:

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The truck I traded in on the Ram was a Nissan Titan 04 that I had for many years and ran up to 160k miles. I am still driving my 2013 Kia Soul econobox commuter that now is almost 9 years old and has 170k miles. I have another Kia that I bought for my wife new 9 years ago that is at 75k miles. And I have a 95 Miata that I bought from the second owner with low miles that was my commuter up to about 165k miles, I sold it to a guy and bought it back from a guy he sold it to 10 years later. So yes, I buy new cars and drive thr wheels off. Switching cars is too expensive and a pain in the ***.

StringNH

Reaction score
I keep my vehicles for about 10 years. I am currently driving a 2012 Ram 2500 Laramie Megacab that I bought new. It currently has 325k miles on it and it runs, looks and drives great. Never been back to the dealership since I bought it. It does have a few outstanding recalls but none are critical to me and I don't like anyone else working on my stuff. I do all my own work but there has been very little work needed. I got a heavy-duty truck but it only sees light duty work. It's all highway miles. I do pull a few trailers from time to time. Biggest is my boat about 10k lbs. I move it twice a year about 50 miles each way. I plow my driveway when it snows but that's about it. Prior to that I had a 2001 2500 sport that I sold with 330k miles on it. Both of those trucks are Cummins powered so no engine troubles at all. Before that I had a 1995 1500 Laramie gasser, I put better than 200k miles on that one. I could keep going but I won't. The point is, if you take care of your stuff and don't beat on it, it will last a very long time. None of these vehicles were involved in any type of collision, so no body work or paintwork needed.

I still own my second car, it was 15 years old when I bought it in 1985. It's a 1970 Dodge Challenger R/T SE, its a big block 440 car. Mostly sits in the garage now.

I don't understand why so many people feel the need for a new car or truck every few years. I enjoy not making payments for as long as I can.

That being said, I am looking for a replacement. Probably a 1500 limited, crew cab with the ecodiesel. I would love to see 30mpg or better. I get about 20mpg in my 2500 with the cummins.

bud007

Reaction score
just traded in my 2004 "Dodge" RAM , it was 17 years old with 147k miles still ran great and never gave me a problem i kept it maintained and it was in immaculate shape when i traded it in for my new Built to Serve . even though i could have kept it ,it did lack a few things that i felt i needed as i get older , had the old roll up windows ( never had to worry about a motor going out ) but it was a pain to reach over and roll the passenger window down if needed , yes it came with a cassette player :ROFLMAO: and bench seat with no center console . Electric windows / locks are nice and i always wanted a sliding rear window ;) and even though i really felt bad trading it in as it was such a good truck ( i am sure the next owner will appreciate how nice it is )
I am really enjoying my new truck and only hope it gives me the great times my old one did .

Attachments

• IMG-4803.JPG
    IMG-4803.JPG
    186 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG-4811.JPG
    IMG-4811.JPG
    180.5 KB · Views: 20

Dragonmaster13

Reaction score
I just traded in my 2012 that I bought for $31,000 new and they gave me $10,500 for it. 167,xxx km on the way the the dealer to trade the keys the radio died. The CV shaft blew about 3 weeks ago. The truck towed heavy for about 60,000km of the total mileage and treated me good. Minor rust on one wheel arch and along the bottom of the cab on both sides. Spent $3,000 on aftermarket headers, spark plugs and bolt removal after the stock ones spit bolts 3 times under warranty.

Can’t complain the old truck was good. The new EcoDiesel is expected to last 10 years plus before the inevitable electric takeover.

afphinfan

Reaction score
Only truck I’ve ever owned that was a POS was a 2006 Tacoma, dealer denied all problems so I traded it and will never go back. My dad drove bulletproof Toyota 4x4s in the 80s and plowed snow with them but not my experience. I’ve had F-150s and Rams and only one issue and that was the computer going out on an 06 F150. Cost $2k and if I hadn’t been so busy at work I might could’ve figured out myself and fixed it cheaper but I bought it 3 years old and drove it 10 years then sold it to a friend whose son still drives it.
I will keep this truck til I want something bad enough to let this one go or until it costs too much to keep.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I bought my last Ram in 2003 and put 277K relatively trouble free miles on it. The pinion bearing started to howl at 170K so I rebuilt the diff. The radiator (plastic) cracked and the water pump started leaking around 200K, replaced those and it broke a intake valve spring at 250K. Replaced the valve spring and drove it 20K more miles before replacing it with the 2020.

I bought my C5Z06 in 2004 and still have it. Its was also trouble free till I started F'ing with it, now its on its 2nd diff, 3rd trans and second built engine but thats race car stuff so I can't cry about it.

20200726_130011 - Copy.jpg

20200726_125904.jpg

2003 sold last year, inside was as nice as the outside, truck never gave me any major problems or seemed unreliable.
I expect to keep the 2020 at least 7-8 years

BowDown

Reaction score
I have to disagree. The resale value on Toyotas is so high because they are that much more reliable and require less $$$ in repairs. But you can buy a 5 year-old Mercedes dirt cheap because it probably needs 20 sensors replaced costing a total of $10k+. My 11-yr old RAV4 with 140k miles needs nothing. No suspension, ball joints, water pump, fuel pump, clutch, etc. Just oil, filters, eventually a belt I suppose. Engine and transmission are like new. They do have their downsides: It rides like crap over bumps even compared to my Mazda3, but it's been that way since new. I replaced the rear shocks (only $90 for new OEM shocks and a couple hours of my time) thinking they might be worn out at 135k miles. It made ZERO difference. The 11yr old shocks were still as good as new. I suspect I could've left them on until the 15-20 year mark. It's like the thing just doesn't age. Not the same with my 12-yr old Honda Pilot that we traded for a 4Runner. The Pilot was a very good vehicle and never had major problems, but I could tell it was aging. But Toyotas are also as BORING AS HELL, I will admit that.

IDK about that, those toyotas don't make enough power to break anything, that in itself will increase longevity. IMO, proper basic maintenance will make most vehicles last well past 200k. My wifes 98 Honda accord would shake like a vibrating bed at a stop light, I replaced motor mounts, timing belts, distributor, wires, plugs, cleaned the TB and the MAF and it still shook.
You couldn't even tell my 2003 Ram was running when sitting at a light it was so silky smooth. I replaced all 16 spark plugs at 120K hoping to find burned up plugs and increase fuel mileage. The plugs had half the ground strap burned away yet the truck ran dead smooth and to my disappointment after changes the plugs, it still ran dead smooth with no change in performance.

Maybe toyotas and hondas are less dependent on routine maintenance but I do not think they last any longer than anything else

BowDown

Reaction score
I average about 18 months on a truck.

I've had several new ones and lots of used ones. You can either make a monthly payment or spend it replacing parts.

There are people who spend hundreds if not thousands annually on hobbies. Golf, hunting, travel, etc. I like Jeeps and trucks.

Nobody should tell another guy what to spend his earned money on. Life is short. Be happy.

I disagree, I drove my 2003 from 2007 to 2020 without payments or spending money replacing parts.
I may have spent $2000 on parts from out of warranty till July 2020. If you take care of your stuff, it will take care of you

Ramjack

Reaction score
Maybe toyotas and hondas are less dependent on routine maintenance but I do not think they last any longer than anything else

I didn't say Honda. In fact, my 2006 Honda Pilot had more problems over 12 years than my 1999 Mercury Mountaineer did over the same length of time. Toyota is a different story altogether. Their reliability is undeniable, but so is their lack-of-fun factor.

BowDown

Reaction score
I didn't say Honda. In fact, my 2006 Honda Pilot had more problems over 12 years than my 1999 Mercury Mountaineer did over the same length of time. Toyota is a different story altogether. Their reliability is undeniable, but so is their lack-of-fun factor.

I said hondas because they are usually included in longevity/resale value conversations

Ramjack

Reaction score
I said hondas because they are usually included in longevity/resale value conversations
Understood, and you're right. But not by me. Honda makes excellent engines; maybe the best in the world. But their trannies and the "whole package" doesn't hold a candle to Toyota, especially now that Honda has gone to turbo-charged small displacement engines and CVT's in virtually everything. No thank you. I'm not one to say that Japanese vehicles are superior in reliability, just Toyota. And don't get me wrong: I'm not saying Toyotas are superior vehicles overall. I have a 4Runner that I expect to put 400k miles on with zero repairs. It drives pretty well, but NOTHING like the Ram. The 4Runner is a practical "appliance". The Ram is pure joy.

Last edited:

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
In the great sea of anecdotal examples it appears people have different ways of defining 'reliability.' Our two experiences have not be stellar. Our 2000 Avalon had the worst shifting transmission in a car that I've ever driven. Bang shifts and flairs between shifts were common. After replacing the valvebody twice the issue diminished considerable, but it took four or five visits before it was resolved. Most of the other problems were relatively minor, but a nuisance nonetheless (the heater controller failed twice which was quite annoying). In the eight years we owned it all four wheels had to be eventually replaced because of bead leaks. That was on us and at $600 a pop just for each wheel.

My daughters 2011 Corolla, on the other hand, suffered a timing cover leak and a water pump failure before it reached 70k miles. At about 80,000 the transmission failed. By the time we got rid of it at 93,000 the motor was using a quart of oil every 400-600 miles. This was a car, by the way that was maintained meticulously by our Toyota dealer. There were other minor issues, but with respect to those problems our Toyota tech. (a personal friend of my wife's) said our issues were pretty common for Corollas of that era.

This is probably all heresy to the committed faithful, but I'm guessing this would be much better received if the two cars I described would have GM, Ford, Ram, or some other name on them.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 051246 miles.

Ramjack

Reaction score
In the great sea of anecdotal examples it appears people have different ways of defining 'reliability.' Our two experiences have not be stellar. Our 2000 Avalon had the worst shifting transmission in a car that I've ever driven. Bang shifts and flairs between shifts were common. After replacing the valvebody twice the issue diminished considerable, but it took four or five visits before it was resolved. Most of the other problems were relatively minor, but a nuisance nonetheless (the heater controller failed twice which was quite annoying). In the eight years we owned it all four wheels had to be eventually replaced because of bead leaks. That was on us and at $600 a pop just for each wheel.

My daughters 2011 Corolla, on the other hand, suffered a timing cover leak and a water pump failure before it reached 70k miles. At about 80,000 the transmission failed. By the time we got rid of it at 93,000 the motor was using a quart of oil every 400-600 miles. This was a car, by the way that was maintained meticulously by our Toyota dealer. There were other minor issues, but with respect to those problems our Toyota tech. (a personal friend of my wife's) said our issues were pretty common for Corollas of that era.

This is probably all heresy to the committed faithful, but I'm guessing this would be much better received if the two cars I described would have GM, Ford, Ram, or some other name on them.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 051246 miles.
Yes, I can see why you wouldn't be happy with those results. I cannot say that I'm surprised with the Avalon experience, but I'm shocked by your experience with the Corolla. Not good.

captainzombie

Reaction score
My last two trucks (Colorado traded in towards a Silverado) I kept for 2-2.5 years each before trading them in. When I traded in my Silverado last month, I made sure to get an extended warranty this time as I do plan to keep the RAM for at least 6-7 years. With all of the electronics in these trucks, I sure as hell do not want to be shelling out crazy amounts of money for things to be fixed.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Understood, and you're right. But not by me. Honda makes excellent engines; maybe the best in the world. But their trannies and the "whole package" doesn't hold a candle to Toyota, especially now that Honda has gone to turbo-charged small displacement engines and CVT's in virtually everything. No thank you. I'm not one to say that Japanese vehicles are superior in reliability, just Toyota. And don't get me wrong: I'm not saying Toyotas are superior vehicles overall. I have a 4Runner that I expect to put 400k miles on with zero repairs. It drives pretty well, but NOTHING like the Ram. The 4Runner is a practical "appliance". The Ram is pure joy.

We purchased a new 2014 CRV (2.4L N/A port injection, 5-speed auto) before Honda went to DI Turbo and CVT. Expecting it to last.

Surprisingly we had recurring engines issues with the VVT (x2) and timing chain, all before 75k.

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Similar to @Ramjack I have a Mazda 3 as well as my Ram. It is a 2013 year model and currently has 164,xxx miles on it. I actually just purchased what I’m assuming is going to my last set of tires for it last week. It is my commuter but due to foreseeable changes in our future I’ll be needing a larger car to accommodate my growing children when I pick them up from school. My intentions are to keep my Ram for a minimum of 8 years but likely longer. IF, and its a big if, the Lightning or a similar all electric competitor really catch my eye I could see myself combining my commuter and truck into one. However, I’d probably be averaging about 33,000 miles a year on one vehicle and that seems kind of excessive. So I will probably just upgrade the Mazda to a midsize SUV and then when it’s time to get rid of the Ram in 8-10 years I will get whatever is nicest. I have no brand loyalty really. I‘d definitely give whatever version of the Ram exists then a look first because I love my Ram but if Ford is knocking it outta the park I’d give them my money too.

ram0686

Reaction score

Regards,
Dusty
Wife had a 2009 Camry that was a pile of crap.. would also burn a ton of oil due to incorrect gapped piston rings. Also had electric issues too.

I keep my vehicles a minimum of 10 years. Why always have a note? My 2009 Silverado was trouble free. 175000 miles.

Users who are viewing this thread