5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

long term ownership 10+ years

JBV

Reaction score
does anyone here own vehicles for long or intend to own there Ram for long? i keep reading about guys who flip vehicles every 3 years which is a strange concept for me. i keep vehicles for a long time and i don't see any reason i wouldn't do the same with the Ram i've ordered.

determining factors will be general enjoyment of the vehicle of course, and durability. i have a hater buddy (auto mechanic) who thinks that i'll be replacing every moving part and constantly chasing problems. i think he's permanently drunk on the Toyota koolaid myself.

Kaderast

Reaction score
Every vehicle make and manufacturer seems to have a few hidden gremlins. I plan on keeping my truck until about 100K miles, which will take me 7-8 years. After that point I will likely want the latest and greatest....hopefully by 2029 I can get a Ram with a tiny hydrogen fusion reactor powering it.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have MaxCare for 8yr/100k. I’ll at least keep the 1500 that long then hopefully the 2500 cab is redesigned by then

kdoublep

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I bought a 1998 Ram Air Trans AM brand new and drove it for 20 years. That LS1 still purred like a kitten when I sold it. My Ram is my first new car since. Just depends on how it goes. Never had a major issue with the TA. One clutch, one Water pump, a few starters.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I had a 1998 Dakota my first new car before this Ram. Drove it until 2017 and it had over 250,000 miles on it. So ran great.

2020 Bighorn Night Edition, 5.7 Hemi w/eTorque

Ramjack

Reaction score
I have three other vehicles in the family: Mazda3, RAV4 and 4Runner. I expect the Mazda and RAV4 to be at least 15 yrs old when I get rid of them. I expect the 4Runner to be at least 20 yrs old. The RAM will be a 2-3 year "toy" which I will sell before it starts to come apart at the seams. I bought the Ram to have an enjoyable vehicle, not with the expectation of quality or longevity. The Toyotas are not at all enjoyable, but they are bulletproof. The Mazda is certainly more enjoyable than the Toyotas and has surprisingly been trouble-free for 12 years/95k+ miles. Cycling through cars is a surefire recipe for financial erosion.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
does anyone here own vehicles for long or intend to own there Ram for long? i keep reading about guys who flip vehicles every 3 years which is a strange concept for me. i keep vehicles for a long time and i don't see any reason i wouldn't do the same with the Ram i've ordered.

determining factors will be general enjoyment of the vehicle of course, and durability. i have a hater buddy (auto mechanic) who thinks that i'll be replacing every moving part and constantly chasing problems. i think he's permanently drunk on the Toyota koolaid myself.
If he's a hater then he will never have an objective opinion. I don't trust the biased opinions of haters.

The latest Consumer Reports indicates the Toyota crown has tarnished somewhat. They use to get straight across, all models, high reliability ratings. Now the Avalon, Marai, Rav4, Sienna, Supra, and Tacoma are only rated as "average." Based on my last Toyota Avalon, they wouldn't even get that high a rating from me.

My sons have owned Ram trucks, one over 14 years old, the other 12, and while both have repair histories, they still sport the original engines, transmissions, differentials. Most of the repairs have been the same kind of things you'd expect for older, high mileage vehicles.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 051808 miles.

cdn.tbird

Reaction score
With the exception of a couple of vehicles when I was younger and driving 35k+ miles a year, I usually get about 10 or 11 years out of a vehicle before I get the itch for something new.

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Our truck isn't here yet, but I figure the only thing that would make us trade it within five years would be a "can't resist" electric truck or if I experience lots of problems. We've got a 1996 F-150 (long bed) we'll keep and I just recently gave up my 1995 Grand Cherokee, so we've got a history of holding onto vehicles. Like Ramjack, above, I have a Mazda 3 (2013, 105K miles) that's been indestructible and I don't foresee giving it up anytime soon either.

popcenator

Reaction score
Take care of it and it will do great. My '12 Ram had almost no issues. I didn't baby it either, but I took care of it, did the maintenance that was recommended and it took care of me for the 7 years I owned it.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I used to keep them for 70k + miles.. but I can't seem to keep anything past 30-40k miles in the last 10 yrs or so. One truck I was offered what I bought it new for, 3yrs after I had bought it (SVT Raptor) and the wife had lost her job right before our wedding.. so sold my Raptor. The next two trucks just couldn't compare and only kept them for acouple years.. the next truck, the truck prior to this one, checked most of the boxes but ended up being a lemon, so now I have this one. Time will tell how long this one sticks around.

Ramjack

Reaction score
The latest Consumer Reports indicates the Toyota crown has tarnished somewhat. They use to get straight across, all models, high reliability ratings. Now the Avalon, Marai, Rav4, Sienna, Supra, and Tacoma are only rated as "average." Based on my last Toyota Avalon, they wouldn't even get that high a rating from me.
IMHO, the Consumer Reports crown has tarnished beyond usefulness. When I bought my two Toyotas (RAV4 and 4Runner), I looked at carcomplaints.com for the two models and the number of complaints even relative to comparable Honda models was dramatically lower. Besides, I don't believe Consumer Reports really looks at longevity beyond 100k miles. I don't believe any make can hold a candle to Toyota past 100k miles and certainly not past 200k miles. That said, Toyota vehicles are generally as boring as hell. I thoroughly enjoy driving my Ram truck. The 4Runner is fine to drive and the RAV4 is kind of a rough ride over bumps, especially compared to my Mazda3. But I don't worry about either one of the Toyotas. They are 100% trouble free at 140k+ miles. But again, I love driving the RAM. It's just that my pragmatic side says I shouldn't plan on owning it very long.

bskubon

Reaction score
Yes, plan on keeping my 2020 well past 10 years. Just sold my 2004 to my daughter. What is that like 17 years old, had like 120k miles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
My 2019 Ram replaced a 1995 Cherokee I bought new in October 1994. It was my daily driver. I still own and drive a 2001 Wrangler as well. This pickup may end up being the last vehicle I buy for myself; if I keep it as long as the Cherokee, I'll be well over 80 years old, and I'm not sure I'll make it.

lkjk

Reaction score
10 years, or 120-140K miles should be no problem for modern cars, regardless of make.

I have a theory about toyotas that their whole "drive to 2-300K miles" thing that everyone thinks theyll do is really because their resale is so high and not because they are that much more reliable. If you have a car thats worth 15-20K like an old toyota, its a no brainer to put $$ into it to keep it running. compare that to most other cars and putting money in them to keep them running doesn't make sense. Ball joints, hoses, belts, suspension, water pumps, fuel pumps, clutches, all that stuff wears out and needs replacing, even on toyotas. Just a matter of does it make sense to keep it running.

I had an old bmw that ran like a champ but was going to need new injectors, fuel pumps, and turbos at some point. it was worth like 6500 and the parts cost about that. Replace them and it would go another 100k+ easy, but financially it doesn't make sense to put 6500 in parts into a car that will still be worth only 6500 after you fix it. it was a well made car that just didnt make financial sense to keep running, not that it couldn't.

Personally how long i keep cars is driven by their resale value and the depreciation curve

Ramjack

Reaction score
I have a theory about toyotas that their whole "drive to 2-300K miles" thing that everyone thinks theyll do is really because their resale is so high and not because they are that much more reliable. If you have a car thats worth 15-20K like an old toyota, its a no brainer to put $$ into it to keep it running. compare that to most other cars and putting money in them to keep them running doesn't make sense. Ball joints, hoses, belts, suspension, water pumps, fuel pumps, clutches, all that stuff wears out and needs replacing, even on toyotas. Just a matter of does it make sense to keep it running.
I have to disagree. The resale value on Toyotas is so high because they are that much more reliable and require less $$$ in repairs. But you can buy a 5 year-old Mercedes dirt cheap because it probably needs 20 sensors replaced costing a total of $10k+. My 11-yr old RAV4 with 140k miles needs nothing. No suspension, ball joints, water pump, fuel pump, clutch, etc. Just oil, filters, eventually a belt I suppose. Engine and transmission are like new. They do have their downsides: It rides like crap over bumps even compared to my Mazda3, but it's been that way since new. I replaced the rear shocks (only $90 for new OEM shocks and a couple hours of my time) thinking they might be worn out at 135k miles. It made ZERO difference. The 11yr old shocks were still as good as new. I suspect I could've left them on until the 15-20 year mark. It's like the thing just doesn't age. Not the same with my 12-yr old Honda Pilot that we traded for a 4Runner. The Pilot was a very good vehicle and never had major problems, but I could tell it was aging. But Toyotas are also as BORING AS HELL, I will admit that.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

I’ll be coming up on 3 years pretty soon, and no urge to change yet. Once the Hummer, Lightning, and a few other future vehicles hit the road, I may reevaluate. But I bought a lifetime warranty for peace of mind (while they were still offered), and we’re hardly putting any miles on the truck these days.

Users who are viewing this thread