5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Locking key fob in truck?

thorcaption5

Reaction score
Curious if there's a way to lock the key fob in the vehicle and use the metal backup key for re-entry only? Reason is I go paddle boarding often and lock valuables in the truck but need to keep a key on me. The board has a small "waterproof" cubbie that fits the fob if I pull the metal key out but I am very nervous if the seal failed saltwater will destroy the fob. Would rather lock the fob and take the key insert if that's even possible. Thanks!

my issue has been solved!!

https://discord.software/ https://omegle.onl/ vshare

Last edited:

stevj

Reaction score
On a clear day, I can see Seattle from my house.
Test you can do:
1. Stash the fob somewhere like the center console.
2. Get out and lock the truck with the key.
3. Try both front door handles to see if it unlocks when you grab either one.

Maybe stow the key inside a metal box or something that acts as an RF shield so the truck won't sense it.

Steve

Le_Slacker

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Curious if there's a way to lock the key fob in the vehicle and use the metal backup key for re-entry only? Reason is I go paddle boarding often and lock valuables in the truck but need to keep a key on me. The board has a small "waterproof" cubbie that fits the fob if I pull the metal key out but I am very nervous if the seal failed saltwater will destroy the fob. Would rather lock the fob and take the key insert if that's even possible. Thanks!

Disable proximity sensors

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If you have proximity handles, leave the fob in the truck, and lock the doors from the interior driver door lock switch and close the door. It will automatically unlock itself, but the third time you do this in a row, the truck will stay locked.

Le_Slacker

Ram Guru
Reaction score

STOKED

Reaction score
Surfer here.

I got this:
https://www.amazon.com/Upgraded-Far...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

And put this in the little pocket of the pouch:

and stick it under the truck to a panel somewhere. Works perfectly, doors will not unlock until you take it out of the bag.

Dkim568

Reaction score
@thorcaption5, how did you end up solving this? I've just been locking the doors and closing the door three times to get it to stay locked...but trigger the alarm everytime I open it at the end of a surf or dive session. Also, maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I realized the fob could actually start the truck without the key if someone were to break in...any better alternatives to getting an external hitch or lock box?

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yes on the waterproof pouch, use them myself when kayaking and surfing.

I wish FCA also employed a similar keypad system on their vehicles as Ford does, it was a great way to lock my key in my F150. It set and activated the alarm as well. Also liked I could access my truck without having to go back inside the house to get the key. And it doesn't have to be an eyesore, they have systems on Lincolns where it's essentially invisible until you run your finger next to the panel and the numbers light up.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread