5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Locking key fob in truck?

smashweights

Reaction score
Curious if there's a way to lock the key fob in the vehicle and use the metal backup key for re-entry only? Reason is I go paddle boarding often and lock valuables in the truck but need to keep a key on me. The board has a small "waterproof" cubbie that fits the fob if I pull the metal key out but I am very nervous if the seal failed saltwater will destroy the fob. Would rather lock the fob and take the key insert if that's even possible. Thanks!

Lil Miss Always Wrong

Reaction score
if you have a rambox you could definitely do it and i THINK even if u left the promimity key IN the cabin, as long as you locked the door with the metal key it should lock no problem...(can't use the buttons i don't think) and if not, just have them make u a cheap $2.00 key at hardware store : )

That's how i did it on my Laramie 2018, i don't think its changed

HMC8403

Reaction score
I'm currently in a loaner that does not have Passive Entry; never realized what an inconvenience not have it was. Instead of reaching for the remote every time I wanted to lock the truck, I would press the power-lock button inside the door as I would exit. One day as I shut the door the truck honked a couple times; that's when I realized the truck was warning me that the fob was still inside. Cool feature.

redriderbob

Co-Editor & Ram Guru!
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
No, but our long-term Laramie Sport had an issue that would start the truck with a key fob in the truck. Unplugged the battery and left it sit and it fixed it.

Dumpster_on_Wheels

Reaction score
RFID block sounds like a good idea. I mountain bike a lot and fear of losing my keys so I hide them under vehicle. But with passive entry i need to either disable it every time or take the key far away. A lot of spots under vehicle to hide won’t work.

HMC8403

Reaction score
RFID block sounds like a good idea. I mountain bike a lot and fear of losing my keys so I hide them under vehicle. But with passive entry i need to either disable it every time or take the key far away. A lot of spots under vehicle to hide won’t work.
When I used to deploy I would lock the keys in a hitch safe. Useful for when at the beach or anywhere you don't want to carry the keys with you.
Screen Shot 2020-05-19 at 5.37.58 PM.jpg

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just hide FOB in a bush or tree far away enough away from the truck to find it when I return. I'm sure others are like me and we hope we remember where we put it when we return.

Muskiez

Reaction score
This is the single biggest thing I miss about my last few trucks. They were fords and had the keypad on the door that allows you to lock the keys in the truck. Didn’t realize how much I used it until I couldn’t! Love my new Ram just wish it had a keypad

Dumpster_on_Wheels

Reaction score
I was also under the impression if you tried to lick the truck with the fob in the vehicle it will refuse.

Dookie

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I lock my fob in the truck all the time, haVE to use the Uconnect app. to lock/unlock. I do have passive entry and is enabled. Leave fob in truck, closed the door and lock with app. locks no problem, then use the app. to unlock.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread