5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Locking Gas Cap

Randy U

Reaction score
Sorry if this has already been posted.
We have had some recent gas siphoning going on in my neighborhood.

Anyone know where to order a locking gas cap for the 2019 RAM bighorn new body?

I looked on the Mopar website but didn’t have any luck. Thanks in advance everyone.
I have 2019 1500 Longhorn Classic, here's Mopar part no.
Part Number​
Part Name​
Price​
Quantity​
Total​
5278655AB​
Locking Gas Cap​
$22.39​
1​
$22.39​

Goatmann

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have 2019 1500 Longhorn Classic, here's Mopar part no.
Part Number​
Part Name​
Price​
Quantity​
Total​
5278655AB​
Locking Gas Cap​
$22.39​
1​
$22.39​
This will not work on the 5th gen gas filler. It states Longhorn Classic, 2019 4th gen truck.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
One does NOT need a siphon to contaminate a fuel tank via the unlocked fuel cap/door feature.
Lots of folks running around late evening with nothin constructive to do with their time.

….just sayin.
THIS ∆
Found my gas door open one morning ...damn neighborhood teenagers. Just hoped they didn't put anything into the tank

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Did you go through the carwash the day before? I've read on here a drive-through carwash with brushes can have enough force to pop open the door.

Here is a locking cap--------> https://www.genosgarage.com/product/ram-1500-locking-fuel-dust-cap/new-products
I made a thread about this cap a couple weeks ago.
The general consensus was that at $60 it's too expensive. I'm thinking $60 is good insurance against someone possibly contaminating my fuel supply on a $60k truck. It's been known to happen in my town. Thankfully not my neighborhood though.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I made a thread about this cap a couple weeks ago.
The general consensus was that at $60 it's too expensive. I'm thinking $60 is good insurance against someone possibly contaminating my fuel supply on a $60k truck. It's been known to happen in my town. Thankfully not my neighborhood though.
Can probably get them cheaper now since it's a year later ..I'm going to do some research later to find one.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure why you're saying it's a year later. I made that thread less than two weeks ago. From what I could find, Geno's is the only place you can get that particular gas cap. I wasn't able to find any others, but I only spent a short amount of time looking. Please let us know if you find anything else out there though.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not sure why you're saying it's a year later. I made that thread less than two weeks ago. From what I could find, Geno's is the only place you can get that particular gas cap. I wasn't able to find any others, but I only spent a short amount of time looking. Please let us know if you find anything else out there though.
I meant that for the new body style...which came out over a year ago. I found a few for like $20 on partsgeek.com

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just emailed Mopar asking them if they make a locking cap or if they know if anyone who does make them...

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Those won't work on your DT. They are for the DS (1500 classic) models.
The DT (5th gen) does not have any threads inside or out at the end of the filler neck.

It is just the filler neck with the capless flap on top (and a small lip on the outside) which is why none of the other locking caps for previous models work.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Any reply from them
Yes...not good news. They basically said no they won't make a locking gas cap and doesn't know anyone that does.... left it at that. Didn't have any other insights about it. I know there's that one company that supposedly sells them for the DT models for around $60...might just have to try that.

Users who are viewing this thread