5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Literally cannot make this up! Less than 2 weeks out of warranty!!

187penguin

Reaction score
Started feeling a shimmy in the front end, and a humming/whine sound. Took it into the dealership and a hub and brake caliber were bad. Went ahead and replaced both hubs because if one’s going out, the other probably isn’t far behind. Truck’s at 58k miles, 99% of the driving is cruise control on the freeway. Truck has never been driven off-road more than a few gravel driveways. 3 year powertrain warranty wasn’t even 2 weeks expired.

Also the starting battery spontaneously crapped out while it was at the dealership.

That can’t be a coincidence, right? FCA has to plan this crap out.

Attachments

• IMG_4339.jpeg
    IMG_4339.jpeg
    159.2 KB · Views: 52

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I hope they showed you? That seems low miles for a seized caliper.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Something is definitely up with the brakes in my truck as well, it's squealed for 4.5 years now and dealer just put grease on it and sent me away. Every month I have to spray wd 40 over the little tabs/slots in the pads and even then it doesn't fix it 100%.

187penguin

Reaction score
I hope they showed you? That seems low miles for a seized caliper.
I saw the uneven pad wear. Mighta just needed caliper slide bolts, but they had my truck for 9 days and I just got to the point of “whatever. Just fix it and give me my damn truck back”

They also agreed to knock my rental from $360 to $120 since I had to buy a battery.

I will say that before there was an ever so slight pull to the right when braking, but I just chalked it up to the roads generally having a slope to the gutters. Now it tracks dead straight under braking.

No doubt on the hubs being shot. This truck usually rides smooth as glass, and something went really bad with them. It’s back to riding smooth again. No idea what, you would think wheel bearings would last longer than 60k on a half ton

Last edited:

HemiDude

Reaction score
Something is definitely up with the brakes in my truck as well, it's squealed for 4.5 years now and dealer just put grease on it and sent me away. Every month I have to spray wd 40 over the little tabs/slots in the pads and even then it doesn't fix it 100%.
WD40?

187penguin

Reaction score
Yep. Somebody else did that here on the forum which is where I got the idea from.
Spraying WD40 onto the end of your pads seems….. suboptimal…? And pads probably get way too hot for WD40 to last. Maybe putting a really high temp anti-seize paste on the back of the pads and on the tabs like a copper/moly/nickel compound would help? I’m a big fan of Nickel-Graf and use it pretty regularly anytime I need a high temp lubricant. It’s good to ~2600F and is super tacky. If your brake pads are getting hotter than that, you might need more than grease…..

silver billet

Reaction score
Spraying WD40 onto the end of your pads seems….. suboptimal…? And pads probably get way too hot for WD40 to last. Maybe putting a really high temp anti-seize paste on the back of the pads and on the tabs like a copper/moly/nickel compound would help? I’m a big fan of Nickel-Graf and use it pretty regularly anytime I need a high temp lubricant. It’s good to ~2600F and is super tacky. If your brake pads are getting hotter than that, you might need more than grease…..

I don't spray the pads themselves, just the tabs. This thread is where I got the idea:

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No idea. They said it seized and needed to be replaced 🤷‍♂️

A seized caliper can hold the brake pads in contact and generate a lot of heat in the rotor, which is bolted firmly against the hub. It can melt the seal, boil out the grease and let moisture in. I blame a stuck caliper for toasting a front bearing on my Dakota at 32K.

187penguin

Reaction score
A seized caliper can hold the brake pads in contact and generate a lot of heat in the rotor, which is bolted firmly against the hub. It can melt the seal, boil out the grease and let moisture in. I blame a stuck caliper for toasting a front bearing on my Dakota at 32K.
That makes sense… I wouldn’t have thought about the two issues being related, but that tracks like a three legged dog in a windstorm

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score

WD40 isn't much of a lubricant. It was designed for aerospace as a film to suppress corrosion, has some very light oil in it but... High temp grease is a much better choice for the sliding brake parts, I like the black moly stuff. Squeal is usually attacked by gluing pads to the calipers and pistons with RTV, may also have a damper layer of gasket looking material.

Users who are viewing this thread