5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Line-X undercoating, worth it?

Condor757

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Currently at Line-X getting a spray in bed liner. They are also advertising an undercoating treatment for $400... Just curious whether this is a worthwhile investment. Product used is a kind of rubberized tar that will prevent rusting long term. I live in Northern Virginia so we do get some snow every winter although not the pounding and salting the northern states get. Planning on keeping the truck til she’s falling apart.
Thx

Vilas15

Reaction score
3 pack of fluid film cans with the tube nozzle costs like $40. Thats what i did to protect the inside of my frame. Only thing is i plan on re-applying every year.

GadgetMason

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Currently at Line-X getting a spray in bed liner. They are also advertising an undercoating treatment for $400... Just curious whether this is a worthwhile investment. Product used is a kind of rubberized tar that will prevent rusting long term. I live in Northern Virginia so we do get some snow every winter although not the pounding and salting the northern states get. Planning on keeping the truck til she’s falling apart.
Thx
I won't do the bed liner, if it cracks water and dirt will get in and cause rust. Likely to get the film done myself.

Condor757

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks gents think I’ll pass and just stick to spraying the underside at a DIY car wash after snow events, don’t think we get enough snow and road salt here to justify the expense.
Side note, the Line-X folks did an awesome job with the spray in bed liner!

Priceless409

Reaction score
3 pack of fluid film cans with the tube nozzle costs like $40. Thats what i did to protect the inside of my frame. Only thing is i plan on re-applying every year.
This is the way

Did very close to the same thing. Fluid film inside the frame and doors. Woolwax everywhere else underneath.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
A quality bed liner, like Line-X, will never crack. It is the best bed liner on the market and has been around for longer than I can remember.
Agreed. I’ve had a few over the years, and they have never cracked or separated, sprayed on OEM on my RAM is the same quality as Line-X btw. No issues whatsoever.

Condor757

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Agreed. I’ve had a few over the years, and they have never cracked or separated, sprayed on OEM on my RAM is the same quality as Line-X btw. No issues whatsoever.

From what I’ve been told, Line-X is the OEM supplier Ram uses for factory spray in bed liners.

Loving my new liner so far!

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I agree but it all comes down to the preperation. Most installers will do a good job scuffing and prepping the bed but I'm not so sure about the underside, if the liner starts to lift and water gets under it you will have far worse problems then with no coating at all.

GadgetMason

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I agree but it all comes down to the preperation. Most installers will do a good job scuffing and prepping the bed but I'm not so sure about the underside, if the liner starts to lift and water gets under it you will have far worse problems then with no coating at all.
That's what I was trying to point out.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
That's what I was trying to point out.
I think you're all reaching for the moon on this one. I have never heard of any issues with a high quality spray in liner performed by a reputable shop. I think you are introducing a concern that really doesn't exist. In addition, should you ever see your liner separating from your bed, which would be easy to see, you take it back and get it redone under warranty. Most all have a lifetime warranty. There is NOTHING better for any truck bed than a great quality spray-on liner like a Line-X or Rhino Linings.

Vilas15

Reaction score
I got my bed lineX'd specifially to help prevent it from rusting out. Ive got the rear wheel well liners, and Im going to fluid film it every year and get a carwash when i can to get salt off. Thats about all i can do.

Last edited:

GadgetMason

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think you're all reaching for the moon on this one. I have never heard of any issues with a high quality spray in liner performed by a reputable shop. I think you are introducing a concern that really doesn't exist. In addition, should you ever see your liner separating from your bed, which would be easy to see, you take it back and get it redone under warranty. Most all have a lifetime warranty. There is NOTHING better for any truck bed than a great quality spray-on liner like a Line-X or Rhino Linings.
Not the bed liner, undercoating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online