5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Limited towing capacity

Bas

Reaction score
Thinking about getting one, 4x4, most options except panoramic roof and 22 inch wheels. It has the 3.92 axle. Loading it with 650 pounds of dogs and humans. Looking at getting a trailer 4250 dry, 7100 wet and probably putting most of the gear in the trailer. Doable?

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
We have a few payload stickers from Limiteds. I would say it would be doable. Just be sure you pay close attention to the real world numbers. You may have to keep the trailer close to empty for tongue weight though.

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you are looking at a particular truck, look inside the driver door at the yellow sticker to get the payload for THAT truck (or call the dealer and have them send you a pic of it). Then do some math.

650 for passengers + 85 for a good weight distribution hitch. So 735. Subtract 735 from the number on the truck payload sticker and you get your maximum trailer tongue weight when loaded with all your gear. Figure 10% of the maximum trailer weight (GVWR number on the sticker on the side of the trailer). So for a 7100 GVWR trailer that’s 710lbs.

710+735= 1445

So in this example , if the payload sticker is at least 1445 you should be safe and legal to tow it.

Last edited:

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If you are looking at a particular truck, look inside the driver door at the yellow sticker to get the payload for THAT truck (or call the dealer and have them send you a pic of it). Then do some math.

650 for passengers + 85 for a good weight distribution hitch. So 735. Subtract 735 from the number on the truck payload sticker and you get your maximum trailer tongue weight when loaded with all your gear. Figure 10% of the maximum trailer weight (GVWR number on the sticker on the side of the trailer). So for a 7100 GVWR trailer that’s 710lbs.

710+735= 1445

So in this example , if the payload sticker is at least 1445 you should be safe and legal to tow it.
Hey @Bas listen to Zeronet he’s the shiznit very well informed sir on payload weights. Choose your trim level and options wisely since a loaded up Laramie can be in the 1300s, Limiteds even lower so like 1100ish! Go check out which options are heaviest in Zeronets posts in the towing section and see if you can do without the heavy stuff (big gas tank, ramboxes, sunroof... like all the stuff I ordered...)..

Deshatt

Reaction score
My Limited matches what you describe (3.92, no sunroof, no 22s) and my payload sticker shows 1556.

Users who are viewing this thread