5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Limited Slip Differential (LSD) Upgrade?

Da MNTN

Reaction score
Hey Folks,

I am wondering if anyone here has done the upgrade after the fact (not part of truck already during purchase).

I have a Big Horn 4x2, 3.21 gears, and live in SoCal (so weather is pretty good), but will occasionally go off-roading. So I have been thinking about upgrading to an LSD (which from my understanding in most cases is better on-road then open, and can be beneficial for off-roading, vs a Locking differential where that's strictly more for off-roading).

I see Moe's Performance has the LSD for about $500 (http://www.moes-performance.com/Mop..._up_Ram_1500_9_25ZF_p/9.25zf-lsd.htm?CartID=1), would I need bearings with that as well? If so, where do I get them from, and are there any other parts I need ?

Finally how involved is the process? What I should expect to pay for the install (roughly/estimate)?

Thanks in Advance as usual!

Nibis

Reaction score
You will be looking at a total rebuild, so you will need the install kit, which I should have new bearings, crush sleeve and seal. I would find a good 4 Wheel Drive place, as they do gear swaps often, getting the all the settings right, takes experience. You are probably looking at around 500 for labor, maybe more

McBroom

Reaction score
OP. Same questions I've been thinking about

Black 20 Ram

NordicNevs

Reaction score
I have one for sale if you want. Never opened the box and 1500 as of 3 hours from now lol

Got it from moes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Da MNTN

Reaction score
I have a response from another thread, and I wanted some feedback on it:

" Personally, I would never waste my time installing an LSD differential. I have an LSD in the back of my 2500. It's useless. It has added no benefit whatsoever that I've noticed. When I got the right side on ice on the side of the road, the side with traction didn't help at all. A selectable locker is just fine on road - you just leave it off. When you need both rear wheels to have traction, you turn it on. An LSD doesn't give you a solid locked engagement of the rear wheels, hence it's "limited."

For the cost and effort, I'd go with a selectable locker (I have a Jeep and a Samurai with selectable lockers). Selectable lockers, whether it's an e-locker or an ARB air locker run about $1,000. Installation varies, but about $500, give or take. You'll also need an installation kit that includes bearings, new ring gear bolts, and some bearings and shims."

Last edited:

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It's all personal preference. Lockers are used mostly off roading while limited is more of a street application. Limited slips are automatic and lockers require you to press a button. I went limited as I have 4wd and rarely off road, but a locker would be fine on the street

McBroom

Reaction score
Are the rear axles the same on a 20 as they are on say an 18??

Black 20 Ram

nburd

Reaction score
The good news is you are in the land of differential shops. So they should be able to give you a reasonable price for the work. Check in with a speed shop. You have to choose which unit. There are many. I went through this with my 2013 Ram 1500 HEMI. I was going to have it done or do it myself, but never did. I really did not notice any difference as the traction control "kind" of acts like a LSD by applying the brakes and making other side spin on a loss of traction. Of course, not on a burn out though. I love this video on the Ramtrucks site. I watch it a lot!
It will be a while before I have 50K miles to roast my tires before I install new ones.

Da MNTN

Reaction score
The good news is you are in the land of differential shops. So they should be able to give you a reasonable price for the work. Check in with a speed shop. You have to choose which unit. There are many. I went through this with my 2013 Ram 1500 HEMI. I was going to have it done or do it myself, but never did. I really did not notice any difference as the traction control "kind" of acts like a LSD by applying the brakes and making other side spin on a loss of traction. Of course, not on a burn out though. I love this video on the Ramtrucks site. I watch it a lot!
It will be a while before I have 50K miles to roast my tires before I install new ones.

Do you know of any shops in particular ?

Also, I am wondering if I should go with locking instead of limited...

Scram1500

Reaction score
Forgot to mention that LSDs have clutches that eventually wear out, lockers are a little more complicated but don't have wear items

Da MNTN

Reaction score
Forgot to mention that LSDs have clutches that eventually wear out, lockers are a little more complicated but don't have wear items

How are you liking your LSD currently ? Would you go LSD again, or would consider lockers in the future?

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I went with a LSD because it is widely regarded as better in the snow. On true ice, locker or LSD won't help much. If the locker wouldn't auto-unlock at 25+MPH, or require a tuner or other trick to raise that limit, I'd have been more open to trying the locker. I won't see a lot of mud, but I will see a ton of snow.

All that being said, Ram uses what I'd call a mild LSD. Its not as aggressive at engaging like some aftermarket units are, but I think thats because they were going for more longevity with it. More aggressive LSDs, being driven by people whom aren't familiar with them, can have lots of issues. What I'm surprised about is why Ram's 5th gens didn't get an ELSD, like the Jeep GC's high end 4x4 systems, where the computer can manipulate the LSD.

When I went through the process of almost installing a LSD and gears in an older Ram once, the cost was going to be in the $700-$1000 range for labor for both axles. So $500 is probably about right for one, give or take. Others are also correct that you'll need a master install kit (not one of the smaller kits, the "master" is important).

Scram1500

Reaction score
How are you liking your LSD currently ? Would you go LSD again, or would consider lockers in the future?
I would do the LSD again, I got it mainly for wet pavement and it's automatic engagement

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a response from another thread, and I wanted some feedback on it:

" Personally, I would never waste my time installing an LSD differential. I have an LSD in the back of my 2500. It's useless. It has added no benefit whatsoever that I've noticed. When I got the right side on ice on the side of the road, the side with traction didn't help at all. A selectable locker is just fine on road - you just leave it off. When you need both rear wheels to have traction, you turn it on. An LSD doesn't give you a solid locked engagement of the rear wheels, hence it's "limited."

For the cost and effort, I'd go with a selectable locker (I have a Jeep and a Samurai with selectable lockers). Selectable lockers, whether it's an e-locker or an ARB air locker run about $1,000. Installation varies, but about $500, give or take. You'll also need an installation kit that includes bearings, new ring gear bolts, and some bearings and shims."
I've had limited slip differentials on three different trucks and they worked for me. I have a non-paved driveway at my property that's on an incline and my 2019 with an open diff won't make it, but my other three did like they were four-wheel drive.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 037378 miles.

Da MNTN

Reaction score
I've had limited slip differentials on three different trucks and they worked for me. I have a non-paved driveway at my property that's on an incline and my 2019 with an open diff won't make it, but my other three did like they were four-wheel drive.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 037378 miles.

This is the kind of info I am looking for! Thanks for the feedback!

RLee276

Reaction score
Would I need the master install kit to add limited slip dif to my 2020 ram 1500 4x4 with 3.92 rear end?

neckbone

Reaction score
you wouldnt need a full kit really. no need to pull the pinion gear out just for swapping carrier. you could get away with 2 carrier bearings and 2 axle seals.

Users who are viewing this thread