5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Limited Options - 33 gallon

Mac15

Reaction score
Good morning members,

Long-time lurker looking to get a 2021 or 2022 Ram 1500 Limited. My main question is regarding the 33 gallon gas tank which is high up on my list of wants. Most of the Limiteds in Ohio have 3.92 gears if equipped with a 33 gallon tank. The 3.92s don't make sense for my purposes due to the fuel mileage impact as well as the typical payload capacity of the Limited trim. I am figuring payload in the 1300s on a Limited configured the way I want. I don't currently tow but probably have 400 lbs of passengers and another 300 lbs of crap with two kids and a week's worth of supplies driving 350 miles to the grand parents house in Michigan. Therefore, "if" we get a boat or a small camper, we have about another 600 lbs of tongue weight capacity before we reach payload limits. Hence the additional justification for the 3.21 gear set as we will never be able to tow more than 7,000-8,000 lbs before reaching payload thresholds.

I have a 36 gallon tank in my current 2015 F150 3.5 eco with 3.55 gears and the big fuel tank is one of my favorite features for the 3-4 trips we make to Michigan (350 miles). I love that I can fill up, putz around town, idle the truck when we get lunch or stop for potty breaks, get there, putz around more, and have plenty of fuel. Every other vehicle I have had needs fuel before we leave and again as soon as we get there. Other than the drive to Michigan, I truly don't "need" the Ram 33 gallon tank other than we "might" get a boat or a small camper to drag back and forth. The Ram 26 gallon tank (figuring 23 useable gallons) yields 414 miles at 18 mpg, 391 at 17 mpg, 368 miles at 16 mpg. I don't want the standard 23 gallon tank on e-torque equipped vehicles but am growing to believe I could live with the 26.

Per the awesome post on payload from Zeronet, ( https://5thgenrams.com/community/th...ire-and-loading-sticker.374/page-6#post-20147 ) here's what my desired configuration is looking like:

Payload: 1800 lb gross
Limited trim - 166lbs
Bed utility group - 25
Level 1 - 86
Sunroof - 70
Anti spin - 16
eTorque - 80
33 gallon fuel tank - 73 (91 if eTorque equipped)

Basically, I'm at 1266 lbs payload with e-torque and 33 gallon tank or 1364 without e-torque and 33 gallon tank. Not sure how much the Technology Package impacts payload (which is on my list of wants). I pick up 73 lbs (no etorque) or 91 lbs (with e-torque) of payload with just the 26 gallon tank. My Ford is a well equipped Lariat with 1560 lbs of payload which gives me a little more wiggle room for boats and campers. However, I just love the ride of the Ram and want one in the worst way.

I looked at a Laramie Sport without air suspension, no anti-spin, no running boards, no tonneau and no e-torque and they ring in at 1575 lbs payload and 8375 lbs towing. However, the Limited may hold value a little better. When I trade in I won't have to argue as much over pricing. Dealer software should return higher average values for a Limited than for Laramie's with large MSRPs and lots of options. I have a similar situation with my Lariat Ford that is equipped like a Platinum but I have found myself having to fight on trade values the last couple of times I started working deals. I foresee the same situation with a fully loaded Laramie Sport that has most of what the Limited has. So I digress, the Limited is what really what I want even though a Laramie Sport would probably be just fine. Example of the Laramie Sport with 1575 lbs payload: https://www.jeffwylercolumbusautomall.com/new/Ram/2021-Ram-1500-d3758ad30a0e0adf4ac09a0725aed896.htm Window sticker: https://www.crownchryslerdublin.com/api/legacy/pse/windowsticker/ram?vin=1C6SRFJT7MN585671

So, decisions decisions. Fully optioned out Limiteds with e-torque are in the 1100 lb payload range with the MFT and every other option. MFT would be nice, but I am trying to preserve "some" payload to give me the ability to tow modest weights. I think 1300+ lbs leaves me enough flexibility for my future purposes.

Lots of back story but my main question is whether anyone in a similar situation is completely dissatisfied with the 26 gallon tank? Or has the 33 gallon and absolutely wouldn't settle for the 26? The truck will not be lifted, no after market wheels, etc. I am probably over analyzing and just need to dive in head first as I will love the ride and the Hemi and the rest probably won't matter. However, asking strangers on the internet for advise is always a wonderful idea. :) Thanks in advance!

davidajpritchard

Reaction score
Good morning members,

Long-time lurker looking to get a 2021 or 2022 Ram 1500 Limited. My main question is regarding the 33 gallon gas tank which is high up on my list of wants. Most of the Limiteds in Ohio have 3.92 gears if equipped with a 33 gallon tank. The 3.92s don't make sense for my purposes due to the fuel mileage impact as well as the typical payload capacity of the Limited trim. I am figuring payload in the 1300s on a Limited configured the way I want. I don't currently tow but probably have 400 lbs of passengers and another 300 lbs of crap with two kids and a week's worth of supplies driving 350 miles to the grand parents house in Michigan. Therefore, "if" we get a boat or a small camper, we have about another 600 lbs of tongue weight capacity before we reach payload limits. Hence the additional justification for the 3.21 gear set as we will never be able to tow more than 7,000-8,000 lbs before reaching payload thresholds.

I have a 36 gallon tank in my current 2015 F150 3.5 eco with 3.55 gears and the big fuel tank is one of my favorite features for the 3-4 trips we make to Michigan (350 miles). I love that I can fill up, putz around town, idle the truck when we get lunch or stop for potty breaks, get there, putz around more, and have plenty of fuel. Every other vehicle I have had needs fuel before we leave and again as soon as we get there. Other than the drive to Michigan, I truly don't "need" the Ram 33 gallon tank other than we "might" get a boat or a small camper to drag back and forth. The Ram 26 gallon tank (figuring 23 useable gallons) yields 414 miles at 18 mpg, 391 at 17 mpg, 368 miles at 16 mpg. I don't want the standard 23 gallon tank on e-torque equipped vehicles but am growing to believe I could live with the 26.

Per the awesome post on payload from Zeronet, ( https://5thgenrams.com/community/th...ire-and-loading-sticker.374/page-6#post-20147 ) here's what my desired configuration is looking like:

Payload: 1800 lb gross
Limited trim - 166lbs
Bed utility group - 25
Level 1 - 86
Sunroof - 70
Anti spin - 16
eTorque - 80
33 gallon fuel tank - 73 (91 if eTorque equipped)

Basically, I'm at 1266 lbs payload with e-torque and 33 gallon tank or 1364 without e-torque and 33 gallon tank. Not sure how much the Technology Package impacts payload (which is on my list of wants). I pick up 73 lbs (no etorque) or 91 lbs (with e-torque) of payload with just the 26 gallon tank. My Ford is a well equipped Lariat with 1560 lbs of payload which gives me a little more wiggle room for boats and campers. However, I just love the ride of the Ram and want one in the worst way.

I looked at a Laramie Sport without air suspension, no anti-spin, no running boards, no tonneau and no e-torque and they ring in at 1575 lbs payload and 8375 lbs towing. However, the Limited may hold value a little better. When I trade in I won't have to argue as much over pricing. Dealer software should return higher average values for a Limited than for Laramie's with large MSRPs and lots of options. I have a similar situation with my Lariat Ford that is equipped like a Platinum but I have found myself having to fight on trade values the last couple of times I started working deals. I foresee the same situation with a fully loaded Laramie Sport that has most of what the Limited has. So I digress, the Limited is what really what I want even though a Laramie Sport would probably be just fine. Example of the Laramie Sport with 1575 lbs payload: https://www.jeffwylercolumbusautomall.com/new/Ram/2021-Ram-1500-d3758ad30a0e0adf4ac09a0725aed896.htm Window sticker: https://www.crownchryslerdublin.com/api/legacy/pse/windowsticker/ram?vin=1C6SRFJT7MN585671

So, decisions decisions. Fully optioned out Limiteds with e-torque are in the 1100 lb payload range with the MFT and every other option. MFT would be nice, but I am trying to preserve "some" payload to give me the ability to tow modest weights. I think 1300+ lbs leaves me enough flexibility for my future purposes.

Lots of back story but my main question is whether anyone in a similar situation is completely dissatisfied with the 26 gallon tank? Or has the 33 gallon and absolutely wouldn't settle for the 26? The truck will not be lifted, no after market wheels, etc. I am probably over analyzing and just need to dive in head first as I will love the ride and the Hemi and the rest probably won't matter. However, asking strangers on the internet for advise is always a wonderful idea. :) Thanks in advance!
I have the bigger tank with an Ecodiesel 4x4. I also have the sunroof, multifunction tailgate and level 1. Here is my payload sticker.
cb5e876364a147bec90f272d3d73e179.jpg

Sent from my SM-N986W using Tapatalk

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
I had a similar experience. Using the locator -- and there are a LOT of dealerships around Los Angeles -- there were exactly zero trucks with the color I wanted, 3.21s and 33 gallon tank. I settled for the 26 gallon. It hasn't been bad. Pulling a trailer I think things would be hugely different, but conservative driving with the cruise control on, keeping the speeds down close to the limit, I can easily get around 21- 22 mpg. Allowing a prudent fuel reserve, that's still 400 miles a day. Add in restroom breaks and meals, that's a full day of driving.

If I had to order it, I would have gotten 33 gallons for an even more prudent reserve. But they were offering some great deals to buy in-stock vehicles so I settled. I haven't kicked myself over it yet.

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
First, if you don't get the 33 make sure you don't have the 23. Lots of folks (incl dealers) didn't understand how the tank size option was applied online and if buying off the lot make sure it says 26 on the sticker.

It's a different answer for gas vs diesel. My diesel has 3.92 which overcomes the lag some people report and unless I'm towing I fill up once every 800 miles which is nice. I'm quite happy with the mileage with the 3.92 performance.

A lot of people complain about the gas mileage with the Hemi...seems like 33 would be a better fit.

Personally if I wasn't towing I wouldn't worry about busting the payload numbers with options.

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I can speak to the 33 and towing. I have a almost fully optioned limited and my payload sticker is 1345 Lbs. The 33 gallon tank is a must for me and I wouldn't trade it or Air Suspension for anything. I tow a 9,300 Lb Boat with around 950-1000 Lb Tongue weight, snowmobiles on occasion with tire chains in place on 2 wheels and might get another set for chains on all four. I also tow my Razor 4 XP 1000 on a trailer when I don't use my Motorhome to tow it. I also tow other cars on a flatbed and a enclosed cargo trailer occasionally. I tow 30% of the time plus...

When I am dragging the boat on long trips to other lakes across the country I would hate to have the 23 or 26 gallon tank and wish I had a 50.

If you get the 3.21 and don't tow over 8,000 Lbs you will absolutely still love the 33 gallon tank since you may be able to go almost 700 miles on a tank during highway driving when not towing.
I wouldn't skimp on the 33 gallon tank at all and consider it a must have!

Royalist_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So as far as the Fuel Tank, I would say definitely get the 33 gallon tank. I optioned it on my 2021 1500 Limited EcoDiesel that should be here in the next week or so. I had previously owned a 2019 1500 Laramie 4x4 V6 (Crew Cab 5'7" Box) and it had the 23 gallon tank, even with the avg 21 mpg I got, it was annoying filling up so much. It's even worse on our 2020 2500 Big Horn Night Edition 4x4 V8 (Crew Cab 6'4" box), it has the standard tank, think its 32 gallons; and getting 11-13 mpg avg; its got terrible range and we're always filling it up too. I had a 2018 Ford F-150 Lariat that had the 36 gallon tank, and while it was the 5.0 V8, it got pretty good range (what I'm trading in). As far as axle ratio, the 3.21 will give you better fuel economy and the 3.92 will be slightly better acceleration and more capability for towing and such; as I'm sure you know.

Also, if you're in Ohio, maybe come up here to Cleveland; my dealer is great for deals, they are a high volume dealer. I'm expecting about $11k off my special order, and got $12.5k off my 2019 I had and about $6.5k off my HD; all purchased new. They currently have a 2021 Limited Longhorn for over $13k off for example (no 33 Gallon Tank tho), hit me up if interested for more info. Good Luck.

rubikcube

Reaction score
I have a Limited 4x4 Ecodiesel with 3.92 and 33 gal tank. I also have ORP, MFT, Rambox, and sunroof. Payload is 1018. While it’s low, I don’t think I would change anything on the truck. I definitely wouldn’t buy another without the 33 gal tank. Loving the range.

smashweights

Reaction score
YMMV, I have the 26 gal +eHemi and like you don't tow. Highway range is 450+ but honestly I hate driving that long without stopping anyway. Plus my 4 year old needs to pee anyway. So a quick stretch and gas every 300miles isn't going out of the way to fill up.

Skater

Reaction score
I traded in a 2015 F-150 (EcoBoost) Platinum with the 36 gallon tank on my 2020 Limited. I ordered my Limited (3.92 rear end) with the 33 gallon tank and I would not accept the 23 or 26 gallon tank. When I ordered my Limited the spec sheet showed the 26 gallon tank. In mid-order, but prior to production, I made my dealer correct it to be sure the 33 gallon tank was optioned in replacement. In town, a 23/26 gallon tank would get me four to five days of driving. My F-150 on a full tank would keep me going in town for almost three weeks (average of 18 mpg). My Limited gets 15.5 to 16 mpg in the city, and I could not stand getting less than 560 miles per tank.

Gitter

Reaction score
For me, I really wish I had the 33 gal tank or even had the 26 gal tank! Around town, the 23 gal lasts me over a week which is fine for me. Heck, even on a long road trip, it'd be fine if I wasn't towing something because the family always has to stop every few hours anyways.

The problem is when I am towing...which is now basically every road trip. I have to stop every 150 miles...and when you're towing, the last you want to do is to be constantly maneuvering it around gas stations that often. So get the bigger tank if you plan to start towing!

You seem torn on getting a truck with a 3.92 axle. I look at it this way:
At 16 MPGs with a 3.92 & 33 gal tank, you're looking at about 480 miles (with 30 gallons).
At 18 MPGs with a 3.21 & 26 gal tank, you're looking at 414 miles (with 23 gal).

The bigger tank goes longer despite worse MPGs. But you get so many other benefits withe the 3.92 gearing, so don't stress it as much. It gives you the extra towing capacity if you do start towing (it really makes a difference). It makes your truck slightly peppier than the 3.21. And if you ever plan to get heavier/bigger tires or wheels, you won't feel the extra weight like you might with the 3.21.

Also, take the estimates with a grain of salt since your are looking at a Limited. When I was looking for my Limited, I found the calculations would give me a lower payload than what the actual was.

I think it's because the Limiteds already come with some things standard. For instance, they already have a spray in bed liner and LED bed lights. So the BUG is only adding bed rails and tie down cleats (since you aren't looking at Ramboxes)...which are aluminum and do not weight 21 lbs.

So it's best to find a Limited that has everything you want (even if it's one you can't get due to distance or it has already sold), copy the VIN, and plug it into the Ramtrucks site. It gives you the exact payload for that VIN. Now keep in mind, it won't be a huge difference...maybe only 50-100lbs.

Mac15

Reaction score
Thanks everyone! Trying to find the right truck with the right options has been a challenge. Ordering one solves that but I also believe buying from a local dealer’s inventory allows me to choose when incentives are best. Also a little nervous about getting one with the vibration issue etc. However, all you guys are obviously completely satisfied. With a little luck hopefully I will get a good one too with a big gas tank! Appreciate all of the input. It helps me narrow down which direction to go. This forum has the best members. I’ll keep everyone posted when I make the jump.
-John

Gitter

Reaction score
If you haven't come across this other thread already, you "can" retrofit the 33 gal tank if you end up not getting one...but you can't do the whole retrofit yourself. The dealer will need to order the right pieces for you (which guys have compiled a list with all the part numbers and costs later in the that thread) and then they will have to update your truck's software to recognize the additional capacity. If you're local dealer is incompetent or just a pain to deal with, then definitely make sure you get one with the bigger tank to start with.

https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/retrofitting-the-33-gallon-tank.1621/

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a similar situation to you. Memphis to Knoxville is roughly 350 miles for me. I can easily make that driving 75mph on I-40 with a stop in Nashville (truck's off though), and still have 40+ miles left getting 16.5-17 MPG in my Rebel. If you get better mileage than that you have more wiggle room. I have considered the retrofit for the 33 gallon tank, but I couldn't find any Rebels in my area that already had them.

The most I've gotten out of a tank before being too scared to run out of gas was 24.8 gallons on a fill-up with my 26 tank. I really want to throw my 2 gallon gas can in the bed when I get low one day to see how far I can really get.

With less than 1300 pounds of payload you will really lose it fast. Consider all things that you put into the truck that weren't there when you bought it (extra stuff under the back seat, car seats, trash, anything). Without counting myself I know I have at least 50-75 pounds of "stuff" in my truck that I consider essential.

Users who are viewing this thread