5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Limited Leather Perforated Seats

Tarheel Ram

Reaction score
Has anyone else noticed the perforated leather seats on the front edge of the seat looking like it has been exposed to heat and somewhat melted? I have attached a photo of my front passenger seat in this area. This is the only one of my seats that look like this. The texture is very rough and bumpy. Haven't shown to dealer yet.

2019 Ram 1500 Limited
1,000 miles
Build Date 12-18

Attachments

• IMG_3940.jpg
    IMG_3940.jpg
    223 KB · Views: 410

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Has anyone else noticed the perforated leather seats on the front edge of the seat looking like it has been exposed to heat and somewhat melted? I have attached a photo of my front passenger seat in this area. This is the only one of my seats that look like this. The texture is very rough and bumpy. Haven't shown to dealer yet.

2019 Ram 1500 Limited
1,000 miles
Build Date 12-18
I see exactly what you are talking about. I'll check mine. It's definitely odd looking and does look damaged.

VinnyRam

Reaction score

2019 Ram 1500 Limited
1,000 miles
Build Date 12-18
Mine is like that too at random places. I have not shown it to the dealer.

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you have 'leather' that appears entirely uniform throughout the car, you don't have leather, you have a 'leather-like product'.

You can try to match the grain and pattern, but you will still have differences... this is perfectly normal for leather.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you have 'leather' that appears entirely uniform throughout the car, you don't have leather, you have a 'leather-like product'.

You can try to match the grain and pattern, but you will still have differences... this is perfectly normal for leather.
It's usually very close however. I agree with OP. It isn't a texture issue I see here it looks as if it's been melted or something along those lines to the point it isn't normal. I get the different grain thing but this is different. I'm one of the Limited owners who has 3 headrests with a pebble type grain texture and the driver's headrest with a perfectly smooth finish (discussed in another thread). It has nothing to do with being real leather vs pseudo. I've owned many luxury cars with quality leather seats and the grain has always matched. The manufacturer should be selecting sheets of hide that look similar. The seat in the picture isn't normal.

hifiaudio2

Reaction score
Came here from searching driver seat leather on limiteds. My middle section on the driver's seat looks different from any other part of the seat, including the middle section on the passenger seat. Rougher and more of a wrinkle texture like you show....

BackAgain

Reaction score
Came here from searching driver seat leather on limiteds. My middle section on the driver's seat looks different from any other part of the seat, including the middle section on the passenger seat. Rougher and more of a wrinkle texture like you show....

My '13 Challenger passenger seat had a distinctly different appearance than the driver's seat, and the rear seat was different still. I always assumed it was because there was seldom anybody sitting there, and my big *** was 'breaking in' the driver seat. Always kind of irked me, but due to previous experience with Dodge service, I decided not to suffer the likely frustration of looking into it.

Bluesurf

Reaction score
What ever "it is" I don't think it should be on such an expensive truck. It cheapens the truck.

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What ever "it is" I don't think it should be on such an expensive truck. It cheapens the truck.
It's NATURAL leather. And it's not cheap, because only higher quality cuts of leather are left with their natural appearance. Low quality cuts needs processed and a fake, uniform grain surface applied. GST makes the leather for the high end trims and they are a very high end company. Your perception is what's quality and cheap is not accurate.

JustMe

Reaction score
It's NATURAL leather. And it's not cheap, because only higher quality cuts of leather are left with their natural appearance. Low quality cuts needs processed and a fake, uniform grain surface applied. GST makes the leather for the high end trims and they are a very high end company. Your perception is what's quality and cheap is not accurate.
All leather is "Natural," until it isn't . By that I bemuse that until the manufacturer Processes it in order to sell more variety - colors, uniformity . . . but you obviously know this as well . Only thing I would prefer is NOT having the seats perforated . If my lounge swivel &/or reclining leather chairs (at home) were perforated, they would probably NOT of lasted as well . Not for everyone, but what I like about the better quality leathers in their Natural State, is the Lack of Uniformity - gives each chair its Unique Character and over time becomes more beautiful with the "ware creases" our bodies impart on the cushions & leather, IMHO of course.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
All leather is "Natural," until it isn't . By that I bemuse that until the manufacturer Processes it in order to sell more variety - colors, uniformity . . . but you obviously know this as well . Only thing I would prefer is NOT having the seats perforated . If my lounge swivel &/or reclining leather chairs (at home) were perforated, they would probably NOT of lasted as well . Not for everyone, but what I like about the better quality leathers in their Natural State, is the Lack of Uniformity - gives each chair its Unique Character and over time becomes more beautiful with the "ware creases" our bodies impart on the cushions & leather, IMHO of course.
Ventilated seats would be tricky ;)

Bluesurf

Reaction score
My leather looks good today. Tomorrow maybe not. Does anyone know if the leather is covered under the extended FCA warranty. I bought the Maxcare 8/125k from Ziegler. I hope its covered.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Perforations are what let the heat and moisture from someone sitting on it for long periods of time escape. Otherwise your long drive would definitely NOT be so comfortable.

JustMe

Reaction score
Perforations are what let the heat and moisture from someone sitting on it for long periods of time escape. Otherwise your long drive would definitely NOT be so comfortable.
Yes, I'm generally aware of what use perforations may accomplish - especially on a warm days long drive :eek: !
Guess what I'm not aware of / not sure about, is the term "ventilation" as applied here - I am thinking that along with the heated seats, these "ventilated" seats have cool air ventilating the "nether-regions" :unsure: ;) .
My personal thoughts on any leather that is perforated is a negative one . Not as Durable as "Full Leather" . But, as I will most likely be getting a Laramie model, Looks like I'll be making that compromise - IF they offered Cloth in the Laramie I'd opt for that . Happy New year ALL .

Users who are viewing this thread