5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Limited air suspension and Off road group?

njt07

Reaction score
These may be dumb questions, but I cant find a good answer and this is going to be my first truck so thought I’d ask.
- Is the off road group mainly cosmetic, or does it actually turn a non-Rebel to almost a Rebel? Without further mods.
- If I’m going to be buying a Limited with air suspension, how do the “beefier“ shocks work with that?

No I’ll never take the Limited rock crawling, but I will be taking it off pavement to dirt trails in the sticks and hopefully to find some good fishing and camping spots... sometimes.

Most of the time it will be my daily driver on a 22 mile round trip commute to work, most of which will be highway. With that said, is the ORG even worth getting? Does it make the ride better, worse or no effect?
one of my neighbors has a Raptor thats never left the pavement. He told me it is the smoothest riding vehicle he has ever owned. His wife drives a Porsche Cayenne S so I assume he has driven some nice vehicles to compare the ride to.

Waitforit0045

Reaction score
I will offer my knowledge as I think it may help. I have a Laramie 4x4 with NO off road package or air suspension that I have been having fun with for about 5 months now. I have taken my truck off road and done way more expreme things then what you have outlined here and have never had any problem or felt like the truck could not handle itself. The only time I have felt limited is because of the stock tires.

Having said that, the one thing I wish I had above all the other features on the rebel or the ORP is the electronic rear locker.

I don't care about air sus as it is extra $ and I'm lifting the truck anyways. The stock shocks have done just fine for what I've done and the factory lift that you would get is not too substantial.

The lack of locker is the only thing I can see myself being limited by. Everything else is either cosmetic or able to be changed.

This is all just my experience so hopefully it will be useful in your decision.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
These may be dumb questions, but I cant find a good answer and this is going to be my first truck so thought I’d ask.
- Is the off road group mainly cosmetic, or does it actually turn a non-Rebel to almost a Rebel? Without further mods.
- If I’m going to be buying a Limited with air suspension, how do the “beefier“ shocks work with that?

No I’ll never take the Limited rock crawling, but I will be taking it off pavement to dirt trails in the sticks and hopefully to find some good fishing and camping spots... sometimes.

Most of the time it will be my daily driver on a 22 mile round trip commute to work, most of which will be highway. With that said, is the ORG even worth getting? Does it make the ride better, worse or no effect?
one of my neighbors has a Raptor thats never left the pavement. He told me it is the smoothest riding vehicle he has ever owned. His wife drives a Porsche Cayenne S so I assume he has driven some nice vehicles to compare the ride to.
I have both the ORG and AS on my Longhorn. I ordered it this way in 2018 after test-driving a number of trucks.

The ORG takes a standard truck very close to the Rebel spec. The Rebel gets Bilstein-branded shocks, whereas the ORG gets unbranded HD shocks (Hitachi, maybe?). Also, the Rebel sits very slightly taller due to its tire size. The ORG suspension is set up 1” taller than a non-ORG, and the ORG runs on a decent set of Falken tires.

The air suspension complements the ORG very well. It smooths out the bit of roughness introduced by the ORG, and it is amazing on big hits (e.g. rough railroad crossings, potholes, etc.). Also, when you have both ORG and AS, the height settings match those of a Rebel (i.e. 4 height settings instead of 5). This is because a truck with both options is programmed to ride around 1” higher than a truck without the ORG. Effectively, “Off Road 1” is now “Normal”, and “Off Road 2” becomes simply “Off Road”, as this represents full extension of the air shocks.

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve owned both Raptor and Limited Ram. The Ram is definitely smooth, and I love mine. But as far as off road, Raptor hands down. And your neighbor is not incorrect, the Raptor is one of the smoothest trucks around on the highway. However, it’s Not quite as smooth at slow speeds, it needs some speed for that suspension to really work well. The Ram will have more than enough capability off road for what you want.

njt07

Reaction score
I will offer my knowledge as I think it may help. I have a Laramie 4x4 with NO off road package or air suspension that I have been having fun with for about 5 months now. I have taken my truck off road and done way more expreme things then what you have outlined here and have never had any problem or felt like the truck could not handle itself. The only time I have felt limited is because of the stock tires.

Having said that, the one thing I wish I had above all the other features on the rebel or the ORP is the electronic rear locker.

I don't care about air sus as it is extra $ and I'm lifting the truck anyways. The stock shocks have done just fine for what I've done and the factory lift that you would get is not too substantial.

The lack of locker is the only thing I can see myself being limited by. Everything else is either cosmetic or able to be changed.

This is all just my experience so hopefully it will be useful in your decision.

Ive been trying to figure out if losing the anti spin for the ORG is a worth while trade in daily driving, with the understanding that its great for the times I do go off road. I assume with traction control and not driving like an idiot that I shouldn't miss anti spin right?

njt07

Reaction score
I have both the ORG and AS on my Longhorn. I ordered it this way in 2018 after test-driving a number of trucks.

The ORG takes a standard truck very close to the Rebel spec. The Rebel gets Bilstein-branded shocks, whereas the ORG gets unbranded HD shocks (Hitachi, maybe?). Also, the Rebel sits very slightly taller due to its tire size. The ORG suspension is set up 1” taller than a non-ORG, and the ORG runs on a decent set of Falken tires.

The air suspension complements the ORG very well. It smooths out the bit of roughness introduced by the ORG, and it is amazing on big hits (e.g. rough railroad crossings, potholes, etc.). Also, when you have both ORG and AS, the height settings match those of a Rebel (i.e. 4 height settings instead of 5). This is because a truck with both options is programmed to ride around 1” higher than a truck without the ORG. Effectively, “Off Road 1” is now “Normal”, and “Off Road 2” becomes simply “Off Road”, as this represents full extension of the air shocks.
Whats your payload look like with the ORG, AS and I assume protection group? Btw thanks for your input, its good to know that the combination of both soaks up bumps and rogh rides pretty well. Is there additional maintenance needed for the ORG (shocks or anything else)?

Waitforit0045

Reaction score
For normal driving and daily use, I do not think you will notice the absence of the antispin rear end. The truck will still have traction control so you shouldn't notice it missing at all.

Just when you are getting into some rougher areas, stop to engage the locker. The ASRE works but is no where near as smooth or as efficient as a good ol' axle lock. Just don't forget to disengage when you are clear.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
For normal driving and daily use, I do not think you will notice the absence of the antispin rear end. The truck will still have traction control so you shouldn't notice it missing at all.

Just when you are getting into some rougher areas, stop to engage the locker. The ASRE works but is no where near as smooth or as efficient as a good ol' axle lock. Just don't forget to disengage when you are clear.

When enabled, the ELocker automatically disengages at speed (and re-engages when you slow back down).

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Whats your payload look like with the ORG, AS and I assume protection group? Btw thanks for your input, its good to know that the combination of both soaks up bumps and rogh rides pretty well. Is there additional maintenance needed for the ORG (shocks or anything else)?
I have every option available (sans engine block heater) available at time of order in May 2018, so that leaves me at 1069 lb. I’m not the best example ;)

Waitforit0045

Reaction score
Thank you for clarifying. I am a bit envious of that option. That would be my choice if I were doing everything again.

njt07

Reaction score
I have every option available (sans engine block heater) available at time of order in May 2018, so that leaves me at 1069 lb. I’m not the best example ;)
Huh, cause id probably get very similar to you minus the pano and black package

Xhumeka

Reaction score

That's what I have - limited with off-road group (My Build) . Although I love the combination and wouldn't change it, be aware you lose one of the suspension settings; I only have 4 height options as opposed to 5 (the off-road group adds a slight suspension lift, but I guess for safety reasons they don't want the combination of the two putting you a couple inches taller).

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That's what I have - limited with off-road group (My Build) . Although I love the combination and wouldn't change it, be aware you lose one of the suspension settings; I only have 4 height options as opposed to 5 (the off-road group adds a slight suspension lift, but I guess for safety reasons they don't want the combination of the two putting you a couple inches taller).
See reply #3 above, where I discuss that. The reason you have 4 settings is because you're already sitting higher, but the air shocks still are limited to 4" of travel.

Xhumeka

Reaction score
See reply #3 above, where I discuss that. The reason you have 4 settings is because you're already sitting higher, but the air shocks still are limited to 4" of travel.
Sorry - not sure how I missed that. Yes, EXACTLY what SpeedyV said :)

njt07

Reaction score
What does your payload look like with the ORG on the Limited. I assume you also have the pano roof?

Xhumeka

Reaction score
What does your payload look like with the ORG on the Limited. I assume you also have the pano roof?

Yes, I have the pano roof - 935 lbs :

PRb4M2F.png

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
@Xhumeka, I've never seen one that low! You're now the second "not even a half ton" payload sticker I've seen. This wasn't possible until the MFT came out (I only know because I had nearly every option available at my time of order).

@njt07 - Per older threads, the Off-Road Group adds about 119 lbs (including ELocker), the panoramic sunroof adds about 80 lbs, the MFT adds about 75 lbs, and RamBoxes are heavy at around 163 lbs. Choose your options accordingly ;)

flyingpoint

Reaction score
Just ordered a 2021 Ecodiesel Limited with ORG, Rambox and MFT, Panoramic Moonroof, Tech group, Utility group. Had been thinking back and forth about the balance of payload and features. Since I might not be using a lot of payload out of it I decided to get all the good things and enjoy them as a daily driver.

Last edited:

My1stHemi

Reaction score
I have a Laramie that has pretty much every option but e-torque and adaptive cruise control; my payload capacity is 1,341lbs and my towing capacity is 11,241lbs

I wasn’t looking for air suspension but a coworker had a 4th gen with it and he loved it. Never had an issue in over 100k so I wasn’t as worried about it failing.

After a year with the truck and 21,xxx miles I would recommend this suspension to anyone. It drives very planted but not harsh. It’s great on the road and handles the corners very well for a truck almost SUV like. The factory ORG tires are pretty impressive but a tad small like all factory tires. I’ve taken it out in snow and in a gravel pit a few times to play around and it feels very capable off road. The locking diff is awesome. I don’t bash down dunes or tracks but have taken it at speed on forest service roads and it felt great. The adjustability is also a nice feature. Clearance when you want it below or above. The suspension is also great for towing.

Don’t forget about the skid plates. That’s nice insurance for vitals.

I am planning to downsize from 20’s to 18’s with 34s or 35s once my tires wear out and I imagine the taller sidewall will make it even smoother.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread