5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lifts and longevity?

LordWesquire

Reaction score
I'm new to the world of trucks and lifts. I'm buying a 1500 this week and I know I want to get a 2-4" lift. This would be cosmetic and not used for any off-roading. I'm initially drawn to the ReadyLift 3.5" kit as it is cheaper and seems simpler to install which would save money on labor as well. However, if this compromises the longevity of the truck I'm not going to do it. Would I be better off staying at ~2" for a spacer kit and only considering full suspension lifts closer to 4"? Is there any other option I'm not mentioning? What would you expect to pay on labor for the install?

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you're not off-roading then basically any lift will be fine. You just generally want to stay away from going above 3" without a drop kit to lower the front differential if you have 4WD. Going above 3" puts more wear on your CV axles due to the geometry between the diff and wheels.

At this point it's just picking the height you want and fitting in your budget. Spacer lift will be cheapest, full coilovers will be the most expensive and also the most performance-ready for the off-roading you're not planning on doing.

LordWesquire

Reaction score
Thanks. Do you have a recommendation on a spacer kit that is a little lower than the ReadyLift 3.5"? I think 2.5" or so would be perfect for me. Are the kits with replacement upper control arms necessary for that height?
If you're not off-roading then basically any lift will be fine. You just generally want to stay away from going above 3" without a drop kit to lower the front differential if you have 4WD. Going above 3" puts more wear on your CV axles due to the geometry between the diff and wheels.

At this point it's just picking the height you want and fitting in your budget. Spacer lift will be cheapest, full coilovers will be the most expensive and also the most performance-ready for the off-roading you're not planning on doing.

Redz72

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had Rough Country Coilover 2” struts on my 4th gen and loved them. I plan on putting them on my 5th gen in a few weeks. They are affordably priced around $350. A decent kit, a step above spacer lift as it replaces the stock strut totally.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks. Do you have a recommendation on a spacer kit that is a little lower than the ReadyLift 3.5"? I think 2.5" or so would be perfect for me. Are the kits with replacement upper control arms necessary for that height?
There are many different options depending on what you want to do. I lifted mine 2" with spacers in the front for an overall 3" lift. Got aftermarket UCA's, which I would suggest with any lift. Rear is lifted 1" so 2" overall as I wanted to keep some rake. I didn't do a strut kit as I want to get the most out of my OEM Bilsteins before I replace them. I off-road somewhat, but it's nothing major with a ton of flex. Eventual plan is full coilover kit when the Bilsteins wear out.

LordWesquire

Reaction score
I had Rough Country Coilover 2” struts on my 4th gen and loved them. I plan on putting them on my 5th gen in a few weeks. They are affordably priced around $350. A decent kit, a step above spacer lift as it replaces the stock strut totally.
I have heard mixed things about Rough Country.

Redz72

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve heard those things as well. Mainly from the older Jeep’s I lifted. The 2” struts that I used were perfect for me. 75% road/25% off road, beaches, fire roads, trails…but nothing extreme. $350 price and 3 year warranty helps too. Haven’t heard many, if any real negatives about the 2” struts, but I’m sure there are some Debbie Downers out there. I prefer to look on the bright side and be a BethAmphetamine🤣🤣🤣

Wirerat

Reaction score
Rc N3 struts are great for the money. Leveled
I’ve heard those things as well. Mainly from the older Jeep’s I lifted. The 2” struts that I used were perfect for me. 75% road/25% off road, beaches, fire roads, trails…but nothing extreme. $350 price and 3 year warranty helps too. Haven’t heard many, if any real negatives about the 2” struts, but I’m sure there are some Debbie Downers out hthere. I prefer to look on the bright side and be a BethAmphetamine🤣🤣🤣
I really like the N3's. Last two trucks had them. Cv axles angles are good. Ride is good. Handling is improved on road. I am hearing good things about the new adjustable M1's too.

LordWesquire

Reaction score
Rc N3 struts are great for the money. Leveled

I really like the N3's. Last two trucks had them. Cv axles angles are good. Ride is good. Handling is improved on road. I am hearing good things about the new adjustable M1's too.

What's the benefit of replacing the struts?

Also, ended up buying the Ram today. 2021 Limited Longhorn.

Wirerat

Reaction score

A better way to level/lift front end of truck. Spacers are OK up to a point. The struts are 1/1 swap so easier install.

Last edited:

Slutzk

Cooling off
Reaction score
If you have the money or can save a little more i agree with other users, try going with struts/coil overs for a level just cause they are a little more reliable and will keep your ride quality better. id stay away from spacers if your gona go offroad at all. if its a pavment princess and will never see dirt/sand/snow then yeah spacer should be fine. also highly agree with @LaxDfns15 on staying below 3" on your level b.c of the geometry. also if your getting bigger tires as well make sure to remember to replace the UCAs (thats what i was told and suggested on this forum b.c stock UCAs are not very great)

Slutzk

Cooling off
Reaction score
As @LaxDfns15 you will always hear mixed reviews about RC. but again if its a pavement princess you should be fine. I PERSONALLY would never buy RC but to each there own. i also tow a jet boat and quads/dirtbikes so i hit dirt and sand snow sometimes. i dont "offroad" per say but im off the pavment to get to where i need on trails to ride. then again im pretty strick on anything with, id rather just save money and do it the right way so it last longer or doesnt mess up my things

MikeyHo808

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Welcome to the forum.
A bit more info on your Limited would help, also.
Air ride, non air, ORP, non-ORP. 20’s or 22’s…? How many miles on this 2021?
Spacers are cheaper, and serve the same purpose. For your use, it may be a practical option. There are many forum members who are using spacers and are completely happy with them.
Struts will provide a factory like ride with adjustable heights, should you go that route.
From using your old springs to full spring and strut assemblies, many options to consider. It’s all about how much coin you’re willing to dump into it.
Full kits will provide drop brackets for your differential so you can maintain that factory like ride and keep your driveline geometry in check with the additional lift. The good kits will be upwards of $2k before install. A decent 3.5 will start from $900 and up. And finding a good shop to do it all is crucial, and pricey. If your mechanically inclined, this forum will be a huge help in your endeavors. We have no problem helping you spend your money…👍😁
A very important thing to know about lifting your truck is that you are now putting added stress on any factory components left behind. Premature wear can/may set in. If your truck has a good amount of miles on it, then swapping out to new parts may not be a bad idea. But again, it’s all about what your willing to invest in it. My opinion is, go cheap, pay later.
As for me, I have an ORP truck, but there is really nothing left from the off road package on my truck. I’ve replaced all of the springs and front struts and rear shocks just to achieve a minor .5 lift in back and a level up front. Am a couple thousand invested into my suspension, but am very happy with my set up.
Don’t off road as much, but am comfortable knowing that I can should I need to.
You picked a great first truck. May you avoid most if not all of the funky quirks that come with owning one, lol.😂
Do a lot of searching on this forum and you will find a buttload of info.
Please post some pics and more info on your new ride. Congrats and enjoy🤙🏽

LordWesquire

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.
A bit more info on your Limited would help, also.
Air ride, non air, ORP, non-ORP. 20’s or 22’s…? How many miles on this 2021?
Spacers are cheaper, and serve the same purpose. For your use, it may be a practical option. There are many forum members who are using spacers and are completely happy with them.
Struts will provide a factory like ride with adjustable heights, should you go that route.
From using your old springs to full spring and strut assemblies, many options to consider. It’s all about how much coin you’re willing to dump into it.
Full kits will provide drop brackets for your differential so you can maintain that factory like ride and keep your driveline geometry in check with the additional lift. The good kits will be upwards of $2k before install. A decent 3.5 will start from $900 and up. And finding a good shop to do it all is crucial, and pricey. If your mechanically inclined, this forum will be a huge help in your endeavors. We have no problem helping you spend your money…👍😁
A very important thing to know about lifting your truck is that you are now putting added stress on any factory components left behind. Premature wear can/may set in. If your truck has a good amount of miles on it, then swapping out to new parts may not be a bad idea. But again, it’s all about what your willing to invest in it. My opinion is, go cheap, pay later.
As for me, I have an ORP truck, but there is really nothing left from the off road package on my truck. I’ve replaced all of the springs and front struts and rear shocks just to achieve a minor .5 lift in back and a level up front. Am a couple thousand invested into my suspension, but am very happy with my set up.
Don’t off road as much, but am comfortable knowing that I can should I need to.
You picked a great first truck. May you avoid most if not all of the funky quirks that come with owning one, lol.😂
Do a lot of searching on this forum and you will find a buttload of info.
Please post some pics and more info on your new ride. Congrats and enjoy🤙🏽
Thanks for the advice. It has 20" wheels, not air ride, and not ORP.

I'm actually leaning more towards just leveling the front for now. What would you suggest for under $1k?

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. It has 20" wheels, not air ride, and not ORP.

I'm actually leaning more towards just leveling the front for now. What would you suggest for under $1k?
If you're doing the work yourself there are plenty of options. If you're having a shop do it, then a spacer kit will be a few hundred or leveling struts will get you close to 1k with labor. 4th gen spacers will work on our trucks as the suspension did not change. There are plenty of leveling struts out there, but you'll most likely want 2" versions. Bilstein, RC, etc. My advice would be measure the heights of front and rear wheel wells, take the difference, then match that. If you decide you don't like the level look (most trucks look nose high when they're actually level) you can always add something small to the back later. This is my truck with 3" in the front and 1" in the rear for a 1" rake (rear is higher than the front). Custom Wheel Offset is a great place to see what you like. Just go to their gallery and put in the requirements you want: https://www.customwheeloffset.com/w...019&chassisId=46116&maxYear=2023&minYear=2019

1696337143200.png

LordWesquire

Reaction score
If you're doing the work yourself there are plenty of options. If you're having a shop do it, then a spacer kit will be a few hundred or leveling struts will get you close to 1k with labor. 4th gen spacers will work on our trucks as the suspension did not change. There are plenty of leveling struts out there, but you'll most likely want 2" versions. Bilstein, RC, etc. My advice would be measure the heights of front and rear wheel wells, take the difference, then match that. If you decide you don't like the level look (most trucks look nose high when they're actually level) you can always add something small to the back later. This is my truck with 3" in the front and 1" in the rear for a 1" rake (rear is higher than the front). Custom Wheel Offset is a great place to see what you like. Just go to their gallery and put in the requirements you want: https://www.customwheeloffset.com/w...019&chassisId=46116&maxYear=2023&minYear=2019

View attachment 168538

Right now I'm leaning toward getting the Bilstein 5100 coilovers. Some of the retailers package it with shock absorbers for the back. Would that be to stiffen the back up to better match the front after putting in the coilovers? Also, nice looking truck.

H2OMAN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Right now I'm leaning toward getting the Bilstein 5100 coilovers. Some of the retailers package it with shock absorbers for the back. Would that be to stiffen the back up to better match the front after putting in the coilovers? Also, nice looking truck.
Just do the 5100 in front. Get them for the rear later. I promise you won't regret it. You'll sleep at night knowing you did the right thing.

Users who are viewing this thread