5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lifter tick or exhaust manifold? 2019 Rebel

rkjunior

Reaction score
2019 Rebel with 55k. Noticed some very loud lifter tick lately, louder on the passenger side. Normal or should I be worried about the manifold potentially?

Link to video:

rkjunior

Reaction score
Forgot to mention this is after the truck has warmed up.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just helped a local friend replace spark plugs in his 2017. Similar sound, a d it was definitely lifters on #1 cylinder. One way to help isolate is to use a long screwdriver. Place it on engine where you think sound is coming from then ut handle up against your ear like a stethoscope. Helps isolated where sound is coming from. Unfortunately, my local friend is looking at cam and lifter replacement, if not entire engine if it got too bad.

raygun9

Reaction score
Agree with @HSKR R/T that is lifter tick not manifold.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

rkjunior

Reaction score
Thanks fellas. Worth bringing it in for or normal at this point?

rkjunior

Reaction score
Just in case, here's an update with a cold start from this morning. I still feel like it sounds like garbage but maybe it's just me trying to will myself into a new truck 🤣🤣

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's exactly what mine sounded like until I dumped the 0W20 water oil and put a quality 5W30 synthetic in it. Been quiet as a mouse ever since. At 12,000 miles now and zero issues.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
That's exactly what mine sounded like until I dumped the 0W20 water oil and put a quality 5W30 synthetic in it. Been quiet as a mouse ever since. At 12,000 miles now and zero issues.

If that's the case, the sound you heard wasn't bad lifter. No oil can fix that.

But it does bring up the possibility that the OPs problem isn't a lifter going bad, but maybe something else? He can certainly try the different oil weight at this point, worth a shot before taking it the next step.

BowDown

Reaction score
I'm gonna disagree with everyone here, that's an exhaust leak.
Why? In the 1st video, the "tick" was clearly louder on the passenger side than the driver side. If it was a lifter, being that the lifters are more or less in the center of the block (left bank/right bank) the noise, IMO, wouldn't be louder on one side vs the other. It also sounds like an exhaust leak vs a tap-tap-tap of a failed or failing lifter

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
BTW, this is what a lifter failure sounds like

That video shows broken exhaust manifold bolts, not lifter.

I just helped a friend over the weekend chs ge spark plugs. He definitely has lifter issue. Sounded like OPs first video, and it was definitely more pronounced on drivers side than passenger side, but could be heard from both since his failure was on #1 cylinder.

BowDown

Reaction score
That video shows broken exhaust manifold bolts, not lifter.

I just helped a friend over the weekend chs ge spark plugs. He definitely has lifter issue. Sounded like OPs first video, and it was definitely more pronounced on drivers side than passenger side, but could be heard from both since his failure was on #1 cylinder.
I linked the wrong video
OP, bet you a beer (A long Island/Texas Tea for me) that you have an exhaust leak and by exhaust leak, I mean the infamous cracked exhaust manifold

Last edited:

rkjunior

Reaction score
Thanks all. I'm going to bring it in under the assumption it's the cracked manifold. Also trying to get a good will repair approved for my trash AC the truck also has so pending that at the moment.

ImEngineer

Reaction score
Update for anyone following -- both exhaust manifolds being replaced under the powertrain warranty.
That's great news! For anyone else who has experience with this: is this repair normally covered under the powertrain warranty?

ImEngineer

Reaction score
Update for anyone following -- both exhaust manifolds being replaced under the powertrain warranty.
Also, for clarity, is it the exhaust manifolds themselves that crack? Or is it the bolts that break off and just the bolts need replaced? I was under the impression the most common problem was just the bolts.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Also, for clarity, is it the exhaust manifolds themselves that crack? Or is it the bolts that break off and just the bolts need replaced? I was under the impression the most common problem was just the bolts.
5th gens manifolds crack is the most common. If the manifold is cracked it is covered by powertrain warranty.

Users who are viewing this thread