5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lifter tick or exhaust manifold? 2019 Rebel

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Also, for clarity, is it the exhaust manifolds themselves that crack? Or is it the bolts that break off and just the bolts need replaced? I was under the impression the most common problem was just the bolts.
On the 4th gens, the bolts broke. To "fix" that, they went to stronger bolts in the 5th gen. Now the manifolds themselves crack.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
On the 4th gens, the bolts broke. To "fix" that, they went to stronger bolts in the 5th gen. Now the manifolds themselves crack.
The bolts are not stronger, still the same grade. They added a tie bar/reinforcement bar that attaches to all the bolts. Fixed 1 problem of bolts breaking but caused another of cracked manifolds. What is amazing is that the "kit" is around $100 for all the parts needed. It's just a little more labor intensive than the 4th gens.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Anyone ever checked that the manifolds are flat before installation? I could be they need to planed before bolting to the heads

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Anyone ever checked that the manifolds are flat before installation? I could be they need to planed before bolting to the heads
I have not put a straight edge and checked them officially. I have set them flat on my stainless steel top on my toolbox. They are "straight", can't say they are true or not.

On the 4th gen I have replaced many broken bolts and gaskets. I have even put warped manifolds back on for customers in a cost saving repair. My neighbor is going on 4 years with that fix and no leaks yet.

Jorangel87

Reaction score
That's great news! For anyone else who has experience with this: is this repair normally covered under the powertrain warranty?
Very well covered and has warranty for 2 years from date replaced whether your warranty expires or not.

BowDown

Reaction score
I have not put a straight edge and checked them officially. I have set them flat on my stainless steel top on my toolbox. They are "straight", can't say they are true or not.

On the 4th gen I have replaced many broken bolts and gaskets. I have even put warped manifolds back on for customers in a cost saving repair. My neighbor is going on 4 years with that fix and no leaks yet.

How long does repair take for both sides? I believe mine are cracked too, just not as bad as others, the heat shield and all the bolts appear to be intact

BowDown

Reaction score
Has anyone tried changing to the SRT Jeep Manifolds as a upgrade replacement?

Capture.JPG

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How long does repair take for both sides? I believe mine are cracked too, just not as bad as others, the heat shield and all the bolts appear to be intact
I can do both sides in 2-3 hours. Warranty labor time is 5.4 hours.

BowDown

Reaction score
For that price I'd buy actual shorty headers.
I'm not interested in the increased engine noises headers emit, valve train noises mostly. Also not sure that shorties will allow enough heat for the cats to light off and not set codes

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not interested in the increased engine noises headers emit, valve train noises mostly. Also not sure that shorties will allow enough heat for the cats to light off and not set codes
Headers will have zero effect on catalytic converter function. And shouldn't add any more noise than those Jeep manifolds would

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I think my 5 year warranty runs out at the end of this year. If it happens to me, i guess ill look into some shorty's.

What size tubing would work best? 1 3/4" maybe?

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just helped a local friend replace spark plugs in his 2017. Similar sound, a d it was definitely lifters on #1 cylinder. One way to help isolate is to use a long screwdriver. Place it on engine where you think sound is coming from then ut handle up against your ear like a stethoscope. Helps isolated where sound is coming from. Unfortunately, my local friend is looking at cam and lifter replacement, if not entire engine if it got too bad.
Wanting to do my plugs soon. Can u tell me firing order and best way to go about getting to the plugs?

BowDown

Reaction score
Headers will have zero effect on catalytic converter function. And shouldn't add any more noise than those Jeep manifolds would

I've had headers on almost every car I've owned and they absolutely increase valvetrain noise as well as exhaust noise. On my Z06, I went from 1 3/4" to 1 7/8" and heard a noticeable difference in VT sound but more to the point, I don't want to race car this truck (start modding). I want it to stay as quiet as possible because I enjoy that aspect of it. If the jeep SRT manifolds maintained a similar noise level yet allowed me to gain 10hp or even if they just improve the MPG, id be happy.

As for the cat function, I've seen shorties both have zero effect and set off all kinds of P0420/P0430 codes. I ain't nobody got time for that

BowDown

Reaction score
I think my 5 year warranty runs out at the end of this year. If it happens to me, i guess ill look into some shorty's.

What size tubing would work best? 1 3/4" maybe?

if you're not doing anything else, yeah, 1 3/4". Bigger will hurt low speed torque which you'll feel in this truck

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Wanting to do my plugs soon. Can u tell me firing order and best way to go about getting to the plugs?
I mean, if you really want to know the firing orders it's 18436572, not that it matters with our coil on plug ignition. Getting to the plugs, a 6-8" extension and spark plug socket. Ones under the brake booster are the worst.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I mean, if you really want to know the firing orders it's 18436572, not that it matters with our coil on plug ignition. Getting to the plugs, a 6-8" extension and spark plug socket. Ones under the brake booster are the worst.
Swivel spark plug socket with a locking extension makes it a little easier.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
if you're not doing anything else, yeah, 1 3/4". Bigger will hurt low speed torque which you'll feel in this truck
Cool thanks. Anyone ever used flowtech? I think they are made by Holley.

Users who are viewing this thread