5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lifter tick on cold start

Longball

Reaction score
Hi all I'm new to the site.
I have a 5th Gen with the 5.7 , 209 miles on it, and I just started it after it sat for 24 hours. When it started the lifters clattered for about 5 seconds then stopped ( no doubt when it built a little oil pressure). I am more than a little apprehensive about this as a Larime I test drove at the dealership had a lifter tick that never stopped, I had to cancel the test drive and drove another truck. The salesman heard it also, but didn't say anything about it being an ongoing problem. Is anyone else experiencing this?
I've also noticed an intermittent clunk in the rear end as the truck is shifted in to Drive from Park, and when decelerating. This is a 4WD so I expected a little more gear slop than a 2WD, but the noise is excessive for a brand new vehicle. has anyone else heard this noise?
Honestly I have bought nothing but Japanese cars and trucks since 2000 because of their outstanding reliability. I went with the Mopar as it had excellent reviews (including Consumer Reports reliability history), great styling, and I really like the '19 rework. BUT... not to happy with these developments in a brand new truck. Any feedback welcomed.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
General consensus is that the tick is due to a bad batch of oil filters that have defective valves allowing the oil to drain back into the pan. Several have changed oil/filters and eliminated the issue.

Bakefootball

Reaction score
I’m going through it now With my 2019 Big Horn. It only has 3400 miles on it and it has been at the dealer for 3 months with the “Hemi Tick”. They have changed many parts on the truck but it’s still there. Going through the arbitration process now gonna file it as a lemon. Check the lemon laws for your state.

Bowtechbob

Reaction score
General consensus is that the tick is due to a bad batch of oil filters that have defective valves allowing the oil to drain back into the pan. Several have changed oil/filters and eliminated the issue.
Not the case with me. Had my first service at 2200 miles at the dealership and still does it. So I'm guessing it wasn't "bad batch" of filters. Next I'll swap the filter out. What filters are yall using?

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not the case with me. Had my first service at 2200 miles at the dealership and still does it. So I'm guessing it wasn't "bad batch" of filters. Next I'll swap the filter out. What filters are yall using?

You can search and find a lot of opinions on filters but it is possible you got a suspect filter at your change. No endorsement but I've read that several went with the Mobil1 filter but probably any premium brand name would suffice.

cotonymopar

Reaction score
on my 12, I had a warped exhaust manifold that did it... when it warmed up, the sound went away... also had a crack in it..

azzx

Reaction score
I just noticed the tick on mine. maybe 4 - 5 seconds in duration after starting the engine.
So, this is normal?

Big BLU

Reaction score
Mine does it. I'm ready to cam this damn tick. I have been doing my own oil changes and penz syn. And a decent filter. I'm thinking it's lifters. If it's oil filters from Mopar then it's an oiling issue with the engine. And it loosing pressure while sitting, then something is wrong.

Genxeration

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all I'm new to the site.
I have a 5th Gen with the 5.7 , 209 miles on it, and I just started it after it sat for 24 hours. When it started the lifters clattered for about 5 seconds then stopped ( no doubt when it built a little oil pressure). I am more than a little apprehensive about this as a Larime I test drove at the dealership had a lifter tick that never stopped, I had to cancel the test drive and drove another truck. The salesman heard it also, but didn't say anything about it being an ongoing problem. Is anyone else experiencing this?
I've also noticed an intermittent clunk in the rear end as the truck is shifted in to Drive from Park, and when decelerating. This is a 4WD so I expected a little more gear slop than a 2WD, but the noise is excessive for a brand new vehicle. has anyone else heard this noise?
Honestly I have bought nothing but Japanese cars and trucks since 2000 because of their outstanding reliability. I went with the Mopar as it had excellent reviews (including Consumer Reports reliability history), great styling, and I really like the '19 rework. BUT... not to happy with these developments in a brand new truck. Any feedback welcomed.
My lifter tick started at 6k when I had my first oil change to full synthetic. It’s not consistent but happens occasionally for a few seconds at start. I do also get an occasional clunk when shifting into reverse. I had a 2016 Chevy High Country and transmission went out at 2100 miles. I got pissed and traded it on a 2017 Titan Pro 4x, which was plagued with computer related shift issues. I traded the Titan on this new Ram. My point is that all these new trucks are so complex I think we just have to deal with these little problems and hope our local dealer is competent enough to resolve them.

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
^^^ Your last sentence is spot on. With emphasis on competent. I’m not hating, but have been that frustrated customer. as being in the industry I do have a soft side at times for good solid techs at the dealership.

To get paid half the time or less on a job because it’s under warranty would be hard to deal with. Then the hoops to jump through and pulling teeth to get a decent diagnostic time paid which may have been hours more then the 1 they got paid before FCA approving more paid time.

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
All I’m saying is that it may not always be the tech, service writer or even the dealership. Just FCA not approving more time diag, approve the fix or delay response for all.

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have owned a 5.7 hemi since 2009 and they do have a slight lifter noise pretty much constantly. It is not abnormal. A loud lifter noise (clattering is what i call it) is not however normal and the vehicle will make it if it sits for an extended amount of time regardless of the filter type you use. When you start it up it will take a few seconds for the oil to be pumped back up into the top end.

Last edited:

Blueraptor

Reaction score
I have owned a 5.7 hemi since 2009 and they do have a slight lifter noise pretty much constantly. It is not abnormal. A loud lifter noise (clattering is what i call it) is not however normal and the car will make it if it sits for an extended amount of time regardless of the filter type you use. When you start it up it will take a few seconds for the oil to be pumped back up into the top end.
My truck has ticked on cold starts for the first 3 to 5 seconds since it was delivered. I asked the service manager about it and he said it is normal for the 5.7L and he said the 6.4L are even louder.

Rayzram

Reaction score
Switched to my Schaffers 7000 series at first oil change, like with all my vehicles all noises are gone. Quality filter and higher then normal quality oil like Schaffers and I bet some will find the issue will be gone. I run Schaffers in everything that takes fluids all the way down to my air compressor in the shop, push mower, rider, etc....

RichM1983

Reaction score
Mine started doing this as well. I have Mopar filter. What filter should I go with?

67Woody

Reaction score
I highly doubt this is what it is due to these being new vehicles, but I had a 2011 that broke the exhaust manifold bolts on the passenger bank. A very common issue when the vehicles get some miles on them. I also had another Ram at work have an identical problem. When I took the vehicle in for service and just a general repair shop they swore it was lifters because the noise would go away after about 5-10 second. They didn't take into account the swelling due to the heating. Not saying this is the issue by any means but might be something to check if you go through all the issues with oil and filters and no resolution is found.

goose2

Reaction score
Go to your dealer lot and I will bet 90% of the new trucks on the lot will have a tick apon a cold start up. I have had three new rams and all of them did it. I never worried about it

Firebird

Reaction score
I have only had the tick on 3 occasions. Once on my 2013 when I had the oil changed at a quick lube place (cheap oil filter used) changed the filter immediately and no more tick. Other times were when I started the truck, moved it and shut it right back off. The next time started it ticked. Have never done that since, and have not had it tick again. I also now run Redline 5W30 oil

Users who are viewing this thread