5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lifter tick on cold start

Any recommendation regarding the oil filter? K&N, Mobil 1 ?

Royal Purple or Fram Ultra/Endurance, both of these use better ADBV.

If you're gone for an extended period of time (week plus) then you can also use the "clear flood" mode; push gas all the way to the floor, hold brake + gas, push start with gas all the way to the floor - it will crank for like 10 seconds and build pressure without firing up.

If you're gone for an extended period of time (week plus) then you can also use the "clear flood" mode; push gas all the way to the floor, hold brake + gas, push start with gas all the way to the floor - it will crank for like 10 seconds and build pressure without firing up.
I appreaciate the note @silver billet I am going to give it a try next time, I run the truck. I makes sense to be able to cranking the engine and fill with oil the lifter without actually turning it on.

Im gonna have to try this : )

It does more than build up pressure. It still pumps the lifters and turns the engine at around 300 RPM. It's just using the using the starter motor to operate the engine instead of internal combustion. Not sure this is really solving any problems.

It does more than build up pressure. It still pumps the lifters and turns the engine at around 300 RPM. It's just using the using the starter motor to operate the engine instead of internal combustion. Not sure this is really solving any problems.

The problem it solves is that it builds oil pressure without high rpms, once the lifters have oil in the lash adjusters then they stop making noise.

The lifters still bleed down and require oil pressure to adjust themselves again, but its far better to do it a few hundred rpms than it is as 1500+ or whatever it is when the engine fires. There is no noise. It's a slow, soft way of filling the lifters with oil.

It's a good idea to use this the first start after an oil change as well, gets the oil through the entire system, slowly, without causing a racket at much higher rpms.

To each his own. I think it's a solution to a non-existent problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back