5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lift install issues 21 rebel

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I definitely have a more stiff front suspension. Drop a clip? Something I can do??
Would you be able to post a picture of your truck on level ground from the side so that we can better see the effect of your lift?
Based on what you posted so far, I would drop the front end down by 1-inch and the rear to your tastes accordingly, if necessary.

Also remember:
  • lifting by spring preload (adjustable struts) reduces your rebound travel while increasing your compression travel. It shouldn't change maximum mechanical suspension travel, just where your truck rides normally. Practically you'll gain unnecessary compression range and lose, sometimes necessary, rebound range.
  • lifting by adding top-hat spacers above the struts maintains their rebound and compression travel ranges, but you still reduce practical rebound travel due to the maximum mechanical limits of your suspension travel. Your truck rides further down in its maximum mechanical rebound range.
  • Both methods above increase wear on CV joints because they are in operation farther from there 0° state.
  • There is no free lunch.
  • There is always a compromise.
  • You need a real lift kit if more than 3" is your goal (+2" on a rebel or truck equipped with ORP/ORG springs).

RebelJC

Reaction score
Would you be able to post a picture of your truck on level ground from the side so that we can better see the effect of your lift?
Based on what you posted so far, I would drop the front end down by 1-inch and the rear to your tastes accordingly, if necessary.

Also remember:
  • lifting by spring preload (adjustable struts) reduces your rebound travel while increasing your compression travel. It shouldn't change maximum mechanical suspension travel, just where your truck rides normally. Practically you'll gain unnecessary compression range and lose, sometimes necessary, rebound range.
  • lifting by adding top-hat spacers above the struts maintains their rebound and compression travel ranges, but you still reduce practical rebound travel due to the maximum mechanical limits of your suspension travel. Your truck rides further down in its maximum mechanical rebound range.
  • Both methods above increase wear on CV joints because they are in operation farther from there 0° state.
  • You need a real lift kit if more than 3" is your goal (+2" on a rebel or truck equipped with ORP/ORG springs).
I will get those pics soon.

I figured there would be a compromise, I just want to minimize wear if I can.

I may take out the 3.5" in the front and replace with a 2" and leave the rear 2" where it is. That should give me a better angle in the front and still be 1" taller to be level.

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Also remember:
Would swapping offroad springs for non offroad spring do the trick for him. That would be a cheap solution to bring the front down 1"

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Motofab spacers are like $60. He could just swap those to the 2”. Not sure how much springs are.

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Would swapping offroad springs for non offroad spring do the trick for him. That would be a cheap solution to bring the front down 1"
It might result in a loss of 1" of lift, but I would just swap spacers for shorter ones. It'd be less work and cost a little less.
Also, I think the off-road springs have a different rate than the non-ORG springs so they wouldn't match the rear ORG springs.

Last edited:

RebelJC

Reaction score

Also remember:
Here are the pics you requested. Sorry it took a while.

Attachments

• 20230811_045512.jpg
    20230811_045512.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 31
  • 20230811_045516.jpg
    20230811_045516.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 32
  • 20230811_045521.jpg
    20230811_045521.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 30
  • 20230811_045526.jpg
    20230811_045526.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 29

RebelJC

Reaction score
No problem.
Just by what I can see on my phone, I'd say the photos confirm that you're over-lifted by at least an inch.
Probably use this one.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230811_091111_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230811_091111_Chrome.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 15

RebelJC

Reaction score
That should put you back in the safe zone with a solid 3" total lift in the front.
You'll notice a better ride quality and the CVs will be relieved too.

If you want higher, get some taller tires. After that, you’ll need a lift kit.
So will the tires I have now still fit??
285/75

Users who are viewing this thread