5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lifetime Tire Alignment at Firestone

Threesuns1

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with Firestone Auto Care's lifetime tire alignment? Since I plan on owning my truck for as long as it lasts, I was thinking about getting this lifetime offer.

Htsderek

Reaction score
I bought it for my 98 Ram about 15 years ago and just used it again today. I gave them my name, they looked it up and that was it.

The only issue I’ve had is twice they returned the truck with the steering wheel not level when going straight. I took it back and they corrected it both times. I think that was just an issue of a new or under skilled tech.

Dyeelitt

Reaction score
I bought it earlier this year and have taken my truck back 3 times for alignment. I think it’s worth the money if you have a decent Firestone shop near you. In SoCal I have 3 or 4 within reasonable driving distance.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Used it on my 94 Ford Explorer for years, all good.
Thanks for bringing it up and reminding me about the lifetime, shops near me are $90-95 for one.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure about Firestone, so read the fine print. I know some shops won't go or the "lifetime" alignment if you have changed suspension parts.

1500DFW

Reaction score
Not sure about Firestone, so read the fine print. I know some shops won't go or the "lifetime" alignment if you have changed suspension parts.

I purchased the lifetime alignment from Firestone as I was planning on leveling the truck. Do not tell them you are leveling it. They will not offer the lifetime option if you’ve added aftermarket suspension parts. Just tell them it’s out of alignment.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I purchased the lifetime alignment from Firestone as I was planning on leveling the truck. Do not tell them you are leveling it. They will not offer the lifetime option if you’ve added aftermarket suspension parts. Just tell them it’s out of alignment.
And hope you get an idiot who doesn't know what he's looking at to do your alignment. Not sure I put much faith in that.

1500DFW

Reaction score
And hope you get an idiot who doesn't know what he's looking at to do your alignment. Not sure I put much faith in that.

I mean, I don’t really think their employees give a crap if you’ve got aftermarket parts on the truck or not. I doubt the tech is gonna taddle to the manager when he sees aftermarket UCAs or something. They just can’t sell you the package if you openly admit to modifying the suspension.

In my case I’ve got an air ride Limited. So it only has spacers which can’t be seen anyway.

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I had it on my Grand Cherokee, and had to replace UCA's and they aligned it afterwards, no issue. Not sure all locations would do the same. I have done it on several vehicles and got my money's worth every time.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'd say, unless you are getting an alignment every year, or changing suspension set ups constantly not sure how it would really save a whole lot of money. When I did the Bilstien 5100s and new riresz ai had mine aligned at a local shop that was $60 for the alignment. Really haven't had a need to go back, and that was two years ago

Dyeelitt

Reaction score
I brought my truck in to check the alignment and the service manager told me they can only do a limited alignment because the manufacturer locks the steering box and third party shops can’t adjust it. I assume this is true.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I brought my truck in to check the alignment and the service manager told me they can only do a limited alignment because the manufacturer locks the steering box and third party shops can’t adjust it. I assume this is true.
What exactly would need adjust in the steering box? And what do they mean by steering box?

Dyeelitt

Reaction score
They couldn’t explain. The caster is slightly off and previously was right on.

Attachments

• IMG_2492.jpeg
    IMG_2492.jpeg
    129.7 KB · Views: 17

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
They couldn’t explain. The caster is slightly off and previously was right on.
Caster can't be adjusted. I don't know of any factory suspension that can be adjusted for caster.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Caster can't be adjusted. I don't know of any factory suspension that can be adjusted for caster.
Hmmm…There aren’t many factory suspensions that I can think of that CAN’T be adjusted for caster, but Ram trucks aren’t one of them:
IMG_0204.jpeg

Ratchet

Reaction score
Most 19 and up 1500's need to have the steering angle/yaw rate sensor recalibrated after any steering adjustments. The 1/2 ton trucks technically do not have a traditional steering gearbox, but instead have a rack and pinion. They deff did not adjust toe it appears. Funny, that's about all most shops will adjust and still charge you full price. Since the rollout of the security gateways, bi direction control requires a special subscription and most shops won't purchase one. He just either wasn't sure how to word it, or was just ready to go home. Finding a competent alignment tech isn't the easiest of tasks either.

Through the years, I've seen quite a few 1500's that require a caster offset. My truck is offset about .5 degree to compensate for a slight drift.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's been my experience that unless you change something in your suspension or damage suspension components you are likely not to ever need a wheel alignment. If you do, you shouldn't need more than 1 alignment during the life of the vehicle. When a company offers to sell "lifetime" anything they are doing it because it makes them more money as most people will never recover the cost. It's a marketing gimmick.

Users who are viewing this thread