5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lifelong Ford guy, now driving a 2020 Laramie Sport

rebel without a cause

Reaction score
The last time it happened they replaced both hubs but there were no guarantees. Ford has had this problem for many years.

bigoldthor

Reaction score
I also dumped my 2017 F-150 for a 2020 Rebel.
But I had an issue with my 2017 regarding the IWE system. The IWE needs vacuum to stay in 2wd. If you have a vacuum leak it will try to engage 4wd. If you have partial vacuum then 4wd won't fully engage. Keep in mind this is all while your selector is in the 2wd position. By default if the IWE system fully fails the truck defaults to 4wd no matter that the selector is in 2wd. The diaphragm in the check valves have been failing. Not a 100% failure just unable to completely seal for full vacuum. This partial failure is causing the IWE to partially start to engage the 4wd default.

This happened to me a total of 5 times in a 3 year span and the truck only had 20K miles on it when I turned it in. Always fixed free under warranty but still a pain the *** and after warranty ran out the truck went, bye, bye.
Don't blame you...yikes, that would get expensive after warranty. Besides being a royal PITA. Good move.

FTR, I never had this problem with any of the four F150's I had (2009, 2013, 2015, 2017), but if I had, I would've gotten out of it, too.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Don't blame you...yikes, that would get expensive after warranty. Besides being a royal PITA. Good move.

FTR, I never had this problem with any of the four F150's I had (2009, 2013, 2015, 2017), but if I had, I would've gotten out of it, too.
Yep, the IWE has been an ongoing F150 problem for years now. From the F150 forum dated 1-5-2018:
4X4 IWE grinding CURE?
Due to the amount of problems with the IWE system on these trucks, and the amount of threads stated recently, I thought I'd try to make it easier for members to read about, and possibly fix their problem. Ya, I know, it's been tried before.
This will not be a cureall for all problems, but a place to start troubleshooting.
The system is pretty simple, vacuum supplied from the engine is used to keep the hubs DISENGAGED. As you accelerate, vacuum drops off the engine, and when in boost, on an Egoboost, you actually pressurize the area just behind the throttle body, where the vacuum is normally supplied to the system. On the hose going to your solenoid, there is a checkvalve, a round black/white thingy. When under pressure, the checkvalve is supposed to close, and prevent loss of vacuum to the hubs. Downstream of that checkvalve is the 4X4 solenoid. When in 2wd, this solenoid provides vacuum to the hubs keeping them disengaged. Upon loss of vacuum, usually when you turn the 4X4 switch, this solenoid throws over to vent the hubs, allowing the actuators to ENGAGE...."
End of copied post

While I didn't have that issue on my 2015, it would be "disconcerting" to all of a sudden get thrown into 4 HI, especially on dry pavement.
What's the relevance of this issue for RAM owners? Well, nothing, however it's just one of many frustrations that F150 owners have had over the years.
The RAM bashers seem to fail to realize that every maker has their engineering or parts related issues. Nobody is exempt when trucks are mass produced with the lowest cost supplier getting the contract (and that's not even bringing up engineering goofs).

I got tired of reading/hearing about problem after problem over at Ford on their 2015+ mid-level (Lariat) and above trims, even though my particular truck (lower level XLT) didn't have that many. It always left me wondering "when" it was going to happen as opposed to "if".

My RAM has been quite trouble-free for me, and having a Ltd model, there's lots of high tech or optional things to go south but nothing has broken as of yet and it's almost been a year.
It doesn't help those of you who've had significant issues yet there's no "greener grass" fellas, they all have problems. I try to look at the overall pros and cons, the interior quality and better ride along with a solid drivetrain make our 5th gens a very good choice.

If what is mainly important to you is pure power then buy a Ford with the newer design 3.5 twin turbo. If payload is what you need or want then yes, Ford has it over RAM in that department as well. However that's not enough to sway me back, as that's not what I wanted a truck for. YMMV of course... I totally get that a heavy trailer puller would prefer the Ford package.

rebel without a cause

Reaction score
Ok so what's problematic with the Rebels. From what I've been reading "air suspension" in cold weather! Cross that off my list I have coil springs.

rebel without a cause

Reaction score
Your right all the car manufacturer's have their problems. I have had Fords, Chevys and Mopars.
Best carefree cars I've ever owned were Honda's,
that said I wouldn't consider a Honda Ridgeline as a truck, it's more like an SUV.

Danny_TheHouseCook

Reaction score
Congrats on your new ride. I'm currently in a 2015 and (STILL) awaiting the factory to build my 2020 [think they forgot my sales order]. You'll love your truck.

agillott13

Reaction score
I too got out of a 2017 F150. It was a 2.7 with the 6 speed (only engine available with the 6 speed in 17, the 10 speed wasn’t well refined at the time which is why I ended up with the little Ecoboost). Anyway, the truck overall was great, aside from a drivers seat that broke early in my lease, and numerous dealers with very poor customer service. The fuel mileage was really nice for a full size truck that got driven pretty hard, 19mpg in winter and 21 summer, 50/50 driving. The biggest reasons I didn’t go with Ford again was the poor dealership service department experience and it seemed like getting a new iPhone in the sense that for the most part there isn’t a ton of difference between the 17 and the 20.

The new Ram is pretty awesome as far as fit and finish, options, comfort, and overall appearance. But yesterday I took an 85 mile trip each way and was appalled by what I saw for fuel economy. I’m in central Ohio which is pretty flat and running 70-80 depending on where I was I averaged 14.5mpg! My typical daily drive is back roads and stop and go, and I have been averaging 12mpg while babying it most of the time, but I didn’t think too much of it until I saw what it did on the highway. Once I saw the highway mileage I was pretty depressed!
I am hoping that this is a combination of having winter fuel, and only 500 miles on it... I hope it improves though because it’s quite poor compared to what the window sticker said it was supposed to be and what I had found from research before buying.

Truck is 1500 Laramie crew cab, non etorque hemi, 4wd, 3.21 rear end.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I too got out of a 2017 F150. It was a 2.7 with the 6 speed (only engine available with the 6 speed in 17, the 10 speed wasn’t well refined at the time which is why I ended up with the little Ecoboost). Anyway, the truck overall was great, aside from a drivers seat that broke early in my lease, and numerous dealers with very poor customer service. The fuel mileage was really nice for a full size truck that got driven pretty hard, 19mpg in winter and 21 summer, 50/50 driving. The biggest reasons I didn’t go with Ford again was the poor dealership service department experience and it seemed like getting a new iPhone in the sense that for the most part there isn’t a ton of difference between the 17 and the 20.

The new Ram is pretty awesome as far as fit and finish, options, comfort, and overall appearance. But yesterday I took an 85 mile trip each way and was appalled by what I saw for fuel economy. I’m in central Ohio which is pretty flat and running 70-80 depending on where I was I averaged 14.5mpg! My typical daily drive is back roads and stop and go, and I have been averaging 12mpg while babying it most of the time, but I didn’t think too much of it until I saw what it did on the highway. Once I saw the highway mileage I was pretty depressed!
I am hoping that this is a combination of having winter fuel, and only 500 miles on it... I hope it improves though because it’s quite poor compared to what the window sticker said it was supposed to be and what I had found from research before buying.

Truck is 1500 Laramie crew cab, non etorque hemi, 4wd, 3.21 rear end.
I think you'll improve but not to what your 2.7 Ferd gave you. With 3.21's and 7600 miles, driving "average" (with the flow of traffic on I-40) I am at 19. Not bad for a 4x4 Ltd with 3.21 and stock rims/tires. The hemi is just thirstier, always has been. Think 5.4 as far as Ferd trucks go.
Glad you like your 20'!

Ronkartz72

Reaction score
I come from a long line of F-150 ownership as well. I had a 96' Lariat with 5.0, an 02. Supercrew with the 5.4 I believe, 09' platinum, and a 2016 King Ranch. I have always gotten plenty of relatively trouble free mileage out of my trucks. That is until I got the 2016 KR. Had the sunroof track go out in it, on the way home from getting that fixed, the intake manifold developed a leak. Thank goodness I bought an extended warranty!! After that the cam phasers went bad and it took all of 6 months for them to figure it out, even after I diagnosed it and pretty much told them what it was. Finally got that fixed and a few months later the torque converter went bad. That was the straw that broke the camels back.

Attachments

• 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 09.jpg
    09.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 20.jpg
    20.jpg