5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Leveling kit

Rebman24

Reaction score
Have a 2021 1500 crew cab hemi. Was wondering what the pros and cons are if a leveling kit? How is the ride? Mpg? Does it help make the truck look better

Rock Crawler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is your truck 2WD or 4WD? Are you wanting the front leveling kit to raise it, or the rear leveling kit to lower it? Either way, it’s mostly for looks. The Ram trucks have always had a significant amount of rake that most don’t find very appealing. To a lot of us, level just looks better.

Rebman24

Reaction score
Is your truck 2WD or 4WD? Are you wanting the front leveling kit to raise it, or the rear leveling kit to lower it? Either way, it’s mostly for looks. The Ram trucks have always had a significant amount of rake that most don’t find very appealing. To a lot of us, level just looks better.
4wd. I own it. Plan on getting better tires down the road when the factory ones wear out. I was just wondering about the ride with a front leveling kit? Is it more rough? Less mpg?

cervelo15

Reaction score
4wd. I own it. Plan on getting better tires down the road when the factory ones wear out. I was just wondering about the ride with a front leveling kit? Is it more rough? Less mpg?
I'm at the same point you are. And extracting some great info from the experiences here on this forum, I'd go the leveling strut route. Thats the way i plan to go. Problem is, getting your hands on a strut now because they are on national backorder. The most recommended leveling struts round these parts are the Bilstein 5100. In fact, there is an entire thread dedicated to it. Check it out and you might get some ideas.

The experiences i have seen with the tophat puck route for leveling is it isn't as satisfying and you'll end up replacing it later on down the road. Harsh ride is what I have heard. This is including the guy i consulted at the local shop, he recommended the leveling strut route.

I think the MPG drop will happen when you start putting heavier rubber on your wheels. Being a cyclist, i can attest to that, which is why i look for the lightest tires to put on your bike. You'll feel the weight in your legs when you have a heavier wheel/tire. Same goes for your MPG because you're moving more rotational mass.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
MPGs will go down due to the lack of rake and your headlights will be off unless you get them re-aligned.

The only other benefit is entry angle if you plan to off-road or climb some tall curbs at the mall. 😉

Users who are viewing this thread