5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Level Kit Suggestions

Armada12

Reaction score
Hey guys! Looking for some insight into leveling kits on 2019 Ram 1500 Bighorn....hoping to get schooled a bit. What I'm curious about:

1. How many inches gets the best looking level? I measure pavement to base of fender in center to be 38" rear /36.25" front. Checking customwheelsoffsets site and here seems like most run a 2.5" kit though.
2. Are there any concerns with the "hockey-puck" style vs a more true suspension kit? The price difference is substantial. I'm primarily looking to level to stuff slightly larger tires in and level just looks better.
3. What are the most trusted brands for either type of level kit?
4. Any estimates on install costs at a shop (for each type of kit)? These hockey-puck things I've seen for <$100 vs $500 or so for other types. I don't have the know-how or tools to DIY

Thanks all!

U

User_34235

I think from listening to others on here that you would be best with going with a lift smaller than 2.5" because your difference between the 2 is less than 2.5". A lot of people really like the Motofab kit that you can get on Ebay for under $40. so look around. As for the price I will look forward to seeing what others have to say.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
There are a lot of threads on this subject, so you'll have a lot of reading material.

I used a 2" ReadyLift with UCA's. I'm not sure what my stock measurements were because my dealer installed my kit before my truck was delivered.

The top hat type leveling kits are very inexpensive and they retain the stock ride.

ReadyLift, Motofab, Rough Country, just to name a few.

My dealer installed my kit for $387 including an alignment. A local 4x4 shop quoted me roughly $600.

20211108_114545.jpg

BowersFJ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How much rake do you have now ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BowersFJ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Isn't this the rake he mentioned? Sorry if I am off course.
I measure pavement to base of fender in center to be 38" rear /36.25" front.

Perfect …. So you got 1.75” of rake …. Ya wanna keep 1/2” to 1” of rake …. So either Bils, or Motofab pucks

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
To be fair, having the same fender height front and back does not make a truck level. It usually is close but the fenders cut outs are not exactly the same.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
To be fair, having the same fender height front and back does not make a truck level. It usually is close but the fenders cut outs are not exactly the same.
Yep. The front fenders are ~1/4" higher with the truck level.

BowersFJ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yep. The front fenders are ~1/4" higher with the truck level.

Throw a level on the bed rail, throw a level on the door sill …. Bottom line, dead level on the tape measure, these rigs look nose high because the top of the hood, is higher than the bed line …. Regardless, telling a guy that says he had 1.75” of rake, to use a 2” or 2.5” level kit is just full blown retarded …. Unless you happen to like that Cali draggin a$$ look

Idahoktm

Reaction score
Throw a level on the bed rail, throw a level on the door sill …. Bottom line, dead level on the tape measure, these rigs look nose high because the top of the hood, is higher than the bed line …. Regardless, telling a guy that says he had 1.75” of rake, to use a 2” or 2.5” level kit is just full blown retarded …. Unless you happen to like that Cali draggin a$$ look

I already did that and posted my results on this forum. That's why I know the front fenders are slightly higher than the rear.

I'm not sure why you're quoting me. I didn't recommend either of those lifts. I simply told him which one I picked and stated that I wasn't sure how much rake my truck had when it was stock.

BowersFJ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I already did that and posted my results on this forum. That's why I know the front fenders are slightly higher than the rear.

I'm not sure why you're quoting me. I didn't recommend either of those lifts. I simply told him which one I picked and stated that I wasn't sure how much rake my truck had when it was stock.

I was talkin to Moose …. Not you

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I recommend that the measurement be taken again.

There are literally dozens of posters on this forum, and countless others on Facebook, that have installed either a 2” or 2.5” leveling kit on their 5th Gen RAM, and I have personally not read one single instance of a “Cali A$$ Dragging…” result.

My own personal experience with the 2” Motofab kit is that my truck still has a very slight rake (~0.25”), which is close enough to level for me.

Math doesn’t lie, however people make mistakes, and there are some setup steps that should be taken to ensure the accuracy of the measurement.

First, and foremost, the vehicle should be parked on a level surface before measuring, not on an incline or a decline. This is very important to ensure accurate data.

Secondly, it should be confirmed that the air pressure in all of the tires is approximately the same. Don’t assume.

Thirdly, technically, for the most accurate results, the gas tank should be half full.

Next, and maybe this goes without saying, make sure nobody is sitting in the truck and there is no cargo in the bed at the time of measurement.

After all of the above conditions have been met, the measurement should be taken from the center point of the axel to the top of the fender opening. Measure all four corners, use the averages.

Best of luck to the OP.

Have a great night everyone!

Last edited:

397STROKER

Reaction score
No matter which height you go with, how you use your truck should be considered. If you intend to off road a lot, do a true suspension lift vs a spacer leveling kit. If you are just wanting to look level and put bigger tires on and travel the highway then the spacers are fine.

Armada12

Reaction score
There are a lot of threads on this subject, so you'll have a lot of reading material.

I used a 2" ReadyLift with UCA's. I'm not sure what my stock measurements were because my dealer installed my kit before my truck was delivered.

The top hat type leveling kits are very inexpensive and they retain the stock ride.

ReadyLift, Motofab, Rough Country, just to name a few.

My dealer installed my kit for $387 including an alignment. A local 4x4 shop quoted me roughly $600.

View attachment 117365
I know zero about this stuff.... why with UCA, what's the benefit there?

Saddlerocker

Reaction score
I only have 1.6" of rake stock fyi.
Measured a million times.
Added 34" tires and still have 1.6" rake (all measurements went up 1.5" which seems odd, but rake the same).

So im doing either the Wulf 1/2" spacers, or adjustable struts at .9", or lifting the rear with 5100's and B12 springs and doing 2" on the front to maintain .5" rake.

Basically im saying 2" isnt for everyone. I want to err on the side of keeping rake, not being squatted, even if only slightly.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
I know zero about this stuff.... why with UCA, what's the benefit there?
Probably overkill, but I read about possible issues with the ball joint angle after the truck was lifted. Also, the stock upper A arm is a composite material, sandwiched to a piece of sheet metal.

BowersFJ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Probably overkill, but I read about possible issues with the ball joint angle after the truck was lifted. Also, the stock upper A arm is a composite material, sandwiched to a piece of sheet metal.

Some say overkill …. I say upgrade and peace of mind

Armada12

Reaction score
Good to know, thanks! Any chance you could link the kit you went with to see pricing/parts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online