5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lets See Some Rebels with 6112/5160 8th clip on 35s

75Jimmy

Reaction score
This one is for the Rebels owners out there - I just ordered 6112s/5160s, Icon DJ UCAs, and motofab spacers (0.5" front, and 1" rear.), Icon Rebound 18x9 wheels and 35x12.5x18 BFG KO2s. I'd love to see some pics of Rebels with the 6112/5160 setup on setting 8.

Also, would love to hear your thoughts or experience on my goal. I'm trying to gain 2-2.5" up front over a stock Rebel. Which as I've read, this setup should do the trick. Math is 2.6" from the 6112s at 8th clip + 0.5" from motofab front spacer = 3.1 inches. Minus the factory Rebel 1" lift, that means I yield 2.1", and won't overextend my CV angles. Has anybody else out there done this? How did it work out?

Todd128

Reaction score
That looks really good @75Jimmy! A couple of questions, how much trimming did you have to do up front? Standard, removal of the OEM mudflap thingy? Do you get road debris thrown up on the side of the truck and with the little bit of poke you have? Lastly, is the ride still 'family worthy'? My Rebel is my family vehicle.

75Jimmy

Reaction score
That looks really good @75Jimmy! A couple of questions, how much trimming did you have to do up front? Standard, removal of the OEM mudflap thingy? Do you get road debris thrown up on the side of the truck and with the little bit of poke you have? Lastly, is the ride still 'family worthy'? My Rebel is my family vehicle.
I removed the mud flap and hammered the mounting tab flat against the fender. Then I heated the mudflaps and reshaped them to work for my purposes. I then reinstalled that and did minor trimming off the inner back end of the mudflap and shortened the fender liners a tad to ensure no rubbing. I have no poke at all going on with this setup. Tires are legitimately flush with the OE Rebel fender flares. It's almost too perfect a fit. Is the ride still "family worthy"? It's better than it was! It feels softer and smoother on road, it takes corners more confidently and it feels more comfortable and impressive offroad than it did stock. There has been no downside to this setup (except for maybe MPGs, but it's negligible.)

tempImagexcUw20.jpg

75Jimmy

Reaction score
Gorgeous looking rig! What did you use to tint the fogs yellow and does it help out any with fog or rain?
Thanks! the headlights and fog lights have LaminX on them. I went clear on the headlights and yellow on the fogs. I haven't noticed a difference really. But, I've only driven it for maybe 10 minutes at night since installing. I need more excuses to go out on night drives.

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I removed the mud flap and hammered the mounting tab flat against the fender. Then I heated the mudflaps and reshaped them to work for my purposes. I then reinstalled that and did minor trimming off the inner back end of the mudflap and shortened the fender liners a tad to ensure no rubbing. I have no poke at all going on with this setup. Tires are legitimately flush with the OE Rebel fender flares. It's almost too perfect a fit. Is the ride still "family worthy"? It's better than it was! It feels softer and smoother on road, it takes corners more confidently and it feels more comfortable and impressive offroad than it did stock. There has been no downside to this setup (except for maybe MPGs, but it's negligible.)

View attachment 100033

Part of me thinks the magic of the good ride is a combo! I think could be in some part also due to the BFGoodrich KO2 tires. I had a set on my last rebel, between the tires and the air ride it was a cushy, cushy ride!

In my non-expert opinion the BFG rubber is soft and grippy, even as it got cold those tires could really stick! IMHO most "grippy" rubber I've run on the rebels.

And I've run:
- Toyo AT2s
- BF Goodrich KO2s
- Goodyear Duratracs
- Toyo AT3s
On them.
To me BFG had the best rubber.

At the time, the 2500/3500 trucker guys were saying the sidewalls got "mushy" over time.
But on an offroad biased halfton? I think they work awesomely.

NewLove

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Part of me thinks the magic of the good ride is a combo! I think could be in some part also due to the BFGoodrich KO2 tires. I had a set on my last rebel, between the tires and the air ride it was a cushy, cushy ride!

In my non-expert opinion the BFG rubber is soft and grippy, even as it got cold those tires could really stick! IMHO most "grippy" rubber I've run on the rebels.

And I've run:
- Toyo AT2s
- BF Goodrich KO2s
- Goodyear Duratracs
- Toyo AT3s
On them.
To me BFG had the best rubber.

At the time, the 2500/3500 trucker guys were saying the sidewalls got "mushy" over time.
But on an offroad biased halfton? I think they work awesomely.

Awesome review of the ko2’s… I’m on the fence between those and Wildpeaks.
Everyone says the Falken Wildpeaks are top of the line..
can’t make up my mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
can’t make up my mind.

Hmm.
Well take a look at what they weigh in the size you're looking at - the Falkens might be a few pounds heavier.
There was once a rumor (About a year ago) floating around about Falken changing the rubber compound. No idea if that's true, no idea.

What I can, just in case it helps (And the original poster might chime in with his KO2 exp too!):

The toyo AT2s on my old rebel were slip and slides in the rain once it got cold. My theory is that when it got cold the rubber hardened, and they would slip. Going up a steep hill once I went as slow as I could and I stopped climbing the hill - and this is like a 25mph residential road in a basic rain storm. I snapped. At "great expense" on a leased vehicle I went with the KO2s.
They needed to be road-force balanced, but I can say in a few snow storms they were AWESOME. We had one where the roads weren't plowed at all, and I could basically drive as fast as I wanted to. I may or may not have been doing 40 and I had great perfect traction.

The sidewalls were stiff at first when new, and on the "mushy" side when old, and the traction was so darn good over those 22,000 miles that I was impressed. Real impressed. I've heard that as those tires get old they can get a little loud, and they don't evacuate water as well. Old being like 36,000 miles. Some say otherwise. I think I was going to get about 40,000 out of the tires before replacing them.

Even knowing they're "Expensive", they have to be road force balanced, and all that? I still think about going back to them. I really do.

The Toyo AT3s I'm running now were designed looking at Falken's AT3Ws and Cooper's AT3s as well. The Toyos are pretty good, strong sidewalls, great lateral grip (probably the best) in hot weather. They feel like a different tire than the AT2s I hated.

When they lose traction (in the wet/cold) the truck's rear end doesn't seem to fish around left and right, it tracks straight. It's "predictable" when it loses traction. The Toyo AT3s have been good, I think I have a snow storm under their belt, if my memory serves me correctly. BUT.
Again. I'm tempted. Some say the KO2s are "over-rated". I think that's nonsense, I think they're the best gripping rubber overall, and I'll include a set of General Grabbers and Dueler Revo 2s in that bunch I ran on the Toyota before the Rams.
Just to note: I do think the duratracs are "under" rated, I do. They aren't bad, I replaced them because I was curious.

My working theory about tires right now: The "harder" rubber tires that last longer, don't quite grip as well. I like the Toyo AT3s, I do, due to their tread design blah blah blah blah, HOWEVER, No i don't think the BFG rubber was beat. The softer rubber on the KO2 sidewalls made them "mushier" than the Toyo AT3s.
I think that The "softer" rubber tires that do grip well (and due to that softness, grip in the cold a little better) but don't last as long. I think there's no free lunch here. That's just my opinion. Me? I'll take traction every time.

I do think you could flip a coin and love either though. Hard to go wrong with good tires, and to me a "3PMSF" rated tire is a must, both these tires are.

Last edited:

75Jimmy

Reaction score
can’t make up my mind.

The KO2s are the best of the best when it comes to not having to sacrifice any on-road and/or off-road performance. You get the best of both worlds with these tires. Ask anybody who has raced professionally, the BFGs are Baja Champions for a reason. While they might not all use KO2s on their race rigs, some have, and I would bet most have the KO2s on their tow rig and chase vehicles. They're quiet, grippy, and comfortable on road. In extreme weather, they're excellent! They are rated for extreme weather duty, meaning in most cases, you will be able to get through snow and ice without drama (or chains for that matter). Off-road, they really shine on loose dirt and limited-traction terrains. They're not going to crawl boulders very well, but nobody is likely using a 1500 for that anyways.

If you want to daily your rig comfortably while excelling at nearly everything you could experience off-road, the KO2s are the only option and even though you pay a premium for them, you'll never regret the purchase.

@ChadT mentioned the Duratracs being underrated. I somewhat agree. The Rebel was the first vehicle I ever got to experience Duratracs with. Was actually quite impressed with them at first when the rubber was still new and sticky. But, a year and a few thousand miles later.... I found them to be a tad loud, hard to keep perfectly balanced, and a bit squirrely in the rain. However, they were still confident on dry roads and rode better than what I've experienced with General ATs s and Toyo AT2s in the past. Offroad though, even worn in, they were perfectly fine. They never really left me wanting more.

jellis466

Reaction score
Im having this exact setup installed next week (except with 33x12.5s) and these pics have me too excited about it!

jellis466

Reaction score
Share photos when it's done. Excited to see how it turns out.
69E063F3-A577-4B63-B489-81110C69C60D.jpeg FA5CF6DD-69EC-4955-89BA-7DDCD3FDF743.jpeg 2DA91E82-877C-43E9-A5C6-67B956EC88C3.jpeg 35678CCD-E774-4F58-B124-92BC48BD6359.jpeg
Here’s mine on clip 8. Waiting on wheels and tires to get here. Will post updated pics when they’re on. If anything about the components look like they were installed incorrectly please let me know. Only one shop here local to me so didn’t have any other options, and I’m not savvy enough to know if they did it correctly or not. Thanks!

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
View attachment 101766 View attachment 101767 View attachment 101768 View attachment 101769
Here’s mine on clip 8. Waiting on wheels and tires to get here. Will post updated pics when they’re on. If anything about the components look like they were installed incorrectly please let me know. Only one shop here local to me so didn’t have any other options, and I’m not savvy enough to know if they did it correctly or not. Thanks!
How’s the ride been so far?

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just got it done yesterday so only have about 20 miles on it but it’s great! Less “floaty” than stock and feels more planted on the road, which I prefer!
Awesome. Early spring of next year I'm going to upgrade to these bilstein as well.

Users who are viewing this thread