5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LED tail lights aftermarket. What did you guys go with?

RAMMER80

Reaction score
Let’s see and hear your experience with aftermarket LED tail lights. So many brands to choose from. I read about some reliability issues.

Limo21

Reaction score
I decided against aftermarket LED tail lights. I ordered from OEM LED tail lights from Mopar Wholesale Parts.

Attachments

• Ram_LEDTail2 (2).jpg
    Ram_LEDTail2 (2).jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 39

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I upgraded my BH's tail lights to LED with the china specials for half the cost of OEM to accommodate installing BSM. (just be sure to get the ones w/the removable cover on the back)
After using them for a while, I have zero regrets. They sure look OEM to me, but without the 'RAM' molded in the plastic.
Just be sure to add some weather stripping to the inside perimeter and watch for loose sockets/pins in the connectors.

20221112_152553.jpg
20221112_150747.jpg

20221112_150758.jpg
20221114_171631.jpg

billybaloneey

Reaction score
I upgraded my BH's tail lights to LED with the china specials for half the cost of OEM to accommodate installing BSM. (just be sure to get the ones w/the removable cover on the back)
After using them for a while, I have zero regrets. They sure look OEM to me, but without the 'RAM' molded in the plastic.
Just be sure to add some weather stripping to the inside perimeter and watch for loose sockets/pins in the connectors.

View attachment 165754
View attachment 165759

View attachment 165757
View attachment 165758
I want to go a similar route...I have a 2022 Lone Star with non LED tail lights without the blind spot option...have been looking at the aftermarket LED tail light housings...they all say they are direct replacements. When you changed yours out...did you go from non LED tail light housing to a LED tail light housings...and was the electrical connection the same? Also I want to go the aftermarket blind spot route...you mention removable blind spot covers...do you have a link to the tail lights you purchased? (I've already purchased aftermarket rear view mirror glass with the blind spot indicators and I can get them to light up during testing). Also did you have to make AlfaOBD changes for the LED portion of your upgrade?

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score

View attachment 165754
I have the Red Tails with BS and was looking at aftermarket for the black set. I'm just worried about leaks, especially with the sensors. How long have you had them? Got link as well?

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I want to go a similar route...I have a 2022 Lone Star with non LED tail lights without the blind spot option...have been looking at the aftermarket LED tail light housings...they all say they are direct replacements. When you changed yours out...did you go from non LED tail light housing to a LED tail light housings...and was the electrical connection the same? Also I want to go the aftermarket blind spot route...you mention removable blind spot covers...do you have a link to the tail lights you purchased? (I've already purchased aftermarket rear view mirror glass with the blind spot indicators and I can get them to light up during testing). Also did you have to make AlfaOBD changes for the LED portion of your upgrade?

I have the Red Tails with BS and was looking at aftermarket for the black set. I'm just worried about leaks, especially with the sensors. How long have you had them? Got link as well?

These are the lights I ordered. If you look closely, you'll see the cover in the pictures. It's pretty flimsy, but doesn't matter because you'll just throw it away. The price went down considerably since I ordered them! What a deal.
There are other OEM-looking lights that do not provide this removable cover. I ordered them first and had to send them back.

I had the standard BH halogen tail lights and these were plug-n-play. Just be sure to pay particular attention to the sockets in the BSM connectors. A few of them were loose and pushed away from their pins when I plugged them into the BSM. It resulted in errors and head scratching until I traced it back and reconnected them. Then everything worked and no problems.

I did change all these settings in Alfa.
CBC Features: LED Reverse Lamps Present
CBC Features: LED Stop Lamps Present
CBC Features: LED Rear Turn Lamps Present
CBC Features: LED Tail Lamps Present

I've had the lights installed since November 2022. I did install some thin weather stripping around the inside lip of the top and leading edge. This will prevent water from being driven behind the light when you are driving. The OEM has this installed already. I've had no problems with moisture in the lights.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I did change all these settings in Alfa.
CBC Features: LED Reverse Lamps Present
CBC Features: LED Stop Lamps Present
CBC Features: LED Rear Turn Lamps Present
CBC Features: LED Tail Lamps Present
And don’t forget the CBC Config I/O Usage: Separated Lighting Brake Lamp Dropout setting to “Yes”, otherwise the tail light turn signals will look goofy when they are being used when the brakes are applied.

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
And don’t forget the CBC Config I/O Usage: Separated Lighting Brake Lamp Dropout setting to “Yes”, otherwise the tail light turn signals will look goofy when they are being used when the brakes are applied.
Yes, that one too!
I did change that one. I forgot about it.

Users who are viewing this thread