5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LED light in tailgate handle

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have this light. Very handy. Never noticed it coming on in reverse though. Will have to check now...

BB22

Reaction score
I have this light. Very handy. Never noticed it coming on in reverse though. Will have to check now...
According to the owners manual, page 58, the light in the tailgate handle (hitch light) is part of the courtesy lights and comes on when unlocking the vehicle. But it also says that it comes on when pressing the cargo light button on the main light switch. Page 59 says that its supposed to turn on when shifting into reverse. Mine only comes on when unlocking the vehicle or opening the door. According to this link 2022 RAM Truck Lineup Offers New Towing Technology the hitch light is part of the Tow Group package. My Rebel has the class IV receiver and the factory trailer brake controller but does not have the "Tow Group package" The only difference in the tow group package from what I have is it includes tow mirrors. It doesn't make any sense why if I have the tailgate light, that it won't turn on as described or that you can't at least turn it on with the cargo light switch. It would definitely be an asset for this light to come on while backing up. Does anyone have any info on why the hitch light can't be turned on?

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So, you're tailgate light doesn't come one with the switch? When does it come on? Just unlock and doors open? When I use either the switch on the dash or the one in the bed the tailgate light, bed lights and cargo light come on. I still haven't checked reverse.

I have the bed group and the trailer brake controller was an add after purchase.

BB22

Reaction score
So, you're tailgate light doesn't come one with the switch? When does it come on? Just unlock and doors open? When I use either the switch on the dash or the one in the bed the tailgate light, bed lights and cargo light come on. I still haven't checked reverse.

I have the bed group and the trailer brake controller was an add after purchase.
The only time the light comes on is when the doors are unlocked or open. I don't have bed lights. The switch doesn't turn it on nor does it come on in reverse.

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Oh, okay. I was thinking the tailgate light was part of the bed group.

BB22

Reaction score
Oh, okay. I was thinking the tailgate light was part of the bed group.
Well, I just set my phone behind the truck and took a video while backing up. It seems that the tailgate light IS coming on in reverse. The cargo light button on the main light switch only turns on the cargo light, not the tailgate light. Having it come on in reverse is all I was concerned about as I always back down my driveway and need as much light as possible.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Well, I just set my phone behind the truck and took a video while backing up. It seems that the tailgate light IS coming on in reverse. The cargo light button on the main light switch only turns on the cargo light, not the tailgate light. Having it come on in reverse is all I was concerned about as I always back down my driveway and need as much light as possible.
Time for the:

MrByh20

Reaction score
Tuning in late to the show here but I’ve been looking for the exact same feature on my 21 limited longhorn. I’ve hit road blocks with dealing with ram parts depts. They claim it to be impossible but I know there’s a way. Always a way. lol.

Did the 3 part numbers the OP screen shot pic of, discover that’s all that is needed for this “cheap” customization? Plus a bit of hunting for the right wires to tap into.

Im really excited to have accidentally found this thread. BTW is anyone’s else’s reverse lights not bright enough for you? My reverse lamps, although led don’t do a great job as you’d think or maybe just me. I’m thankful for the rearview camera and it helps some. So this is another reason for the upgrade.

Greatly appreciate everyone’s information on this topic/thread.

vincentw56

Reaction score
Tuning in late to the show here but I’ve been looking for the exact same feature on my 21 limited longhorn. I’ve hit road blocks with dealing with ram parts depts. They claim it to be impossible but I know there’s a way. Always a way. lol.

Did the 3 part numbers the OP screen shot pic of, discover that’s all that is needed for this “cheap” customization? Plus a bit of hunting for the right wires to tap into.

Im really excited to have accidentally found this thread. BTW is anyone’s else’s reverse lights not bright enough for you? My reverse lamps, although led don’t do a great job as you’d think or maybe just me. I’m thankful for the rearview camera and it helps some. So this is another reason for the upgrade.

There's a lot of posts on adding aux reverse lights because the factory ones aren't bright.

Jako

Reaction score

Reverse lights are not just you. Plenty of options and costs.

Check out Shifts and Grins rear TRX tow hooks and light set up for a nice mod.

Last edited:

Burns1200

Reaction score
Apologies for the bump, but can anyone confirm the swap works on a 2019? I see that it looks like I will have to move some pins for the one latch and tap into the bed lighting, which will not be hard to do!

FM45

Reaction score
Just want to throw my follow-up into the ring... I added this to MY 2019. You do have to re-wire pin8 to feed the LED, but it does work like a Factory installed option. I have it wired to my bed lights and to my back up lights, isolated each circuit with a 3amp diode(s) so the circuits don't back feed.
The Led will come on in reverse or when I unlock my doors/bed lights/or cargo...

2019 light-handle.jpg

-=FM45=-

Last edited:

Ellisstrong

Reaction score
Just want to throw my follow-up into the ring... I added this to MY 2019. You do have to re-wire pin8 to feed the LED, but it does work like a Factory installed option. I have it wired to my bed lights and to my back up lights, isolated each circuit with a 3amp diode(s) so the circuits don't back feed.
The Led will come on in reverse or when I unlock my doors/bed lights/or cargo...

View attachment 159522

-=FM45=-
Dang now I want this too.

Burns1200

Reaction score

View attachment 159522

-=FM45=-
What part numbers did you use? Just the ones from the 2nd post?

FM45

Reaction score
The led light and wiring part numbers should be good to go for all DT's , the only part number is going to change is the handle... because of color and if it has the chrome insert.... Mine is BlueSteel w/o chrome, I can post that number if it helps any member...

-=FM45=-

Ellisstrong

Reaction score

View attachment 159522

-=FM45=-
You wouldn’t happen to have a write up of what you did would you?

Users who are viewing this thread