5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LED Headlights and AlfaOBD...

edehosse

Reaction score
So I picked up AlfaOBD in order to activate the passive entry option, and I connected for the first time today just to see if everything works, and to get used to the software, etc. Pulled the DTC info from the status/faults tab, and I was showing 5-6 codes, all related to open circuits on the front lights (low and high beam, side markers), related to the fact that I have aftermarket drivers running stock LED headlights. Not a shocker as I figured the codes would be there.

First question would be - Can I eliminate the trouble codes by setting the front lights to LED in AlfaOBD? It looks like there are multiple options under CBC Features-LED xxxxxxxx Present. Looks like there's an option for every exterior lamp on the truck.

This got me thinking - What exactly is the aftermarket driver doing to the light signals, and would it be possible to eliminate the drivers by configuration changes in Alfa? Do the factory LEDs need to see a higher or lower voltage than the halogens?

Maybe I'm over simplifying it, but I hate the fact of having the drivers as another failure point, and would love to be able to eliminate them.

E...

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The LED settings shut off the PWM (pulse width modulation) that the BCM uses to drive halogen lighting. Enabling these settings will send constant target voltage to the lights, and should eliminate the need for “canbus cancellers”, resistors, anti-flicker modules, etc.
I doubt those errors have to do with your setup, though. At some point (probably when you changed the bulbs), those errors were set, and they don’t clear on their own when the issue is corrected. See if they come back after you clear them.

edehosse

Reaction score
The LED settings shut off the PWM (pulse width modulation) that the BCM uses to drive halogen lighting. Enabling these settings will send constant target voltage to the lights, and should eliminate the need for “canbus cancellers”, resistors, anti-flicker modules, etc.
I doubt those errors have to do with your setup, though. At some point (probably when you changed the bulbs), those errors were set, and they don’t clear on their own when the issue is corrected. See if they come back after you clear them.

Ahh. OK. Makes sense about the error codes. I'll reset them and see what happens. I'm guessing a couple will remain as the RetroShop drivers don't use the side marker plugs, so they'll always show an open circuit.

So theoretically I could swap out the front fascia harness for the one that is used for LED headlights, enable all of the LED settings with Alfa, and eliminate the need for the aftermarket drivers? Scratch that. Front fascia harness only controls the fogs. Looks like the headlights are tied into a much larger harness that is way above my pay grade to swap out...

Are there any wiring diagram resources for the 5th gens out on the interwebs? Would like to see if I could make my own adapter harness that would accept the two halogen plugs and feed the factory LEDs.

Last edited:

lmattus

Reaction score
does anyone replaced the Hologen fog lights for OEM ? and what changes are in OBD ?

Shives

Reaction score
For LED? Yes I have. I changed all my bulb to led. Use AlfaOBD to change your setting for each area your changed to LED. Also, I can say it helps to change them ALL and program to eliminate issues.

lmattus

Reaction score
thanks buddy , i meant replace the factory halogen case and upgraded with the LED case , but i will try just the LED bulbs

Shives

Reaction score
Yes, you can also pickup the OEM LED headlamps off Ebay of some place and install. I see they are about 400-800 a side depending. A 800-1600 upgrade!? The result I’ll have more light output then the OEM led housings. And saved money for other mods. As wel, you will need a copy of AlfaOBD and a bypass cable, program cable.

Rstan2010

Reaction score
thanks buddy , i meant replace the factory halogen case and upgraded with the LED case , but i will try just the LED bulbs
Have you done this? If so what settings did you change for your alpha? I swapped mine out and switched the CBC led fog light to yes but my fog lights don’t work.

Mopar_maxi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So your truck came with factory halogens and you added the factory LED head lamp assemblies with retro shop driver boxes and still are showing codes? I don’t like that as I am planning to swap to factory LED headlights. I had LED bulbs in my halogen headlights and a bulb stopped working then I got condensation somehow in my headlight when I put the stock bulbs back in.

TheMadDutchDude

Reaction score
I haven’t had any issues with mine. Doesn’t matter it there’s an error if they keep working, right??

Clear the errors and see if they return, as said. Truthfully, I think you’re worried about a nonissue. My dealer never mentions anything about codes or errors regarding my lights.

edehosse

Reaction score
So your truck came with factory halogens and you added the factory LED head lamp assemblies with retro shop driver boxes and still are showing codes? I don’t like that as I am planning to swap to factory LED headlights. I had LED bulbs in my halogen headlights and a bulb stopped working then I got condensation somehow in my headlight when I put the stock bulbs back in.
Yes - The retro shop drivers cause codes on all lamps. I've cleared once and they keep coming back. Not much of a concern as long as the lights keep working.

My main concern is the retro drivers are just another component that can fail. I've purchased connectors and pins to create my own harness between the OEM halogen plugs, and the OEM LED light assemblies. Just haven't tackled the wiring yet. Probably a good winter project. My thoughts are to direct wire the OEM LED assemblies, then go into Alpha and set all lamps to LED.

thejourney2009

Reaction score
I just redid the front of my 2016 Ram 1500. I installed an aftermarket bumper with fog light openings, fog lights, front tow hooks, and headlight housings with LED lights. I went all black in the front for a sleek look. I also replaced the headlight switch in the cab for factory control of the fog light. When I first turned on the headlights they worked great ... for about 5 minutes! Then they shut off and I can't get them back on. I bought an OBDLink MX+ and purchased AlfaOBD software. I can't get the OBD to connect with the AlfaOBD to turn on the fog lights. Also I can't seem to get the headlights or parking lights to power up in the front. The rear of the truck everything is working great! Any suggestions? Ram with blotted tag.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread