5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LED Headlight Wiring Diagram?

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does anyone have the wiring diagram for the drivers side LED headlight housing? I’m looking to tap into the high beam and DRL wires to control the two modes of my aftermarket LED light bar. I’m planning to use these two wires or fuse taps as inputs to trigger my relays.

9a4b3114bb6a03547109a7e5e3932cda.jpg

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Update in case anyone else is looking for this information in the future: the HI beam wire on the drivers side is white with green stripe on the factory LED headlight harness.

I still need to decide how I’d like to operate my light bar DRL functionality, whether I tie into the factory DRL or low beam. I currently have no idea which wires carry those signals. If anyone knows or has a wiring diagram, I’d greatly appreciate it.

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have to ask, are you saying you plan to drive around with that lightbar on as a drl? I know where I live using off-road lights on the road at all is illegal, let alone all the time. Not to mention they blind people coming at you.

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have to ask, are you saying you plan to drive around with that lightbar on as a drl? I know where I live using off-road lights on the road at all is illegal, let alone all the time. Not to mention they blind people coming at you.

Thanks Finn, that’s an excellent question and I’m glad you asked it.

Short answer is... kind of. My light bar has a low light DRL option that’s about the brightness of my phone screen. I do want to plug that into my DRL circuit because I like the look of it. That current consumption is only 0.6A vs the full brightness light bar at 16A+ (measured).

I did wire the full brightness into my HI beam for times when I want it to automatically switch on/off. I can turn that feature off on highway use so my HI beams will not trigger it in that instance.

The DRL beam is no more bright than our factory DRL. Kind of a neat option on this particular bar.

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks Finn, that’s an excellent question and I’m glad you asked it.

Short answer is... kind of. My light bar has a low light DRL option that’s about the brightness of my phone screen. I do want to plug that into my DRL circuit because I like the look of it. That current consumption is only 0.6A vs the full brightness light bar at 16A+ (measured).

I did wire the full brightness into my HI beam for times when I want it to automatically switch on/off. I can turn that feature off on highway use so my HI beams will not trigger it in that instance.

The DRL beam is no more bright than our factory DRL. Kind of a neat option on this particular bar.
I kind of figured that the bar had a drl option and that’s probably what you were doing. Glad to hear you’re not one of “those guys”.

kcbing

Reaction score
Eltaco, did you ever get a wiring diagram? I'm planning to tap into one of the headlight harness wires as well, but I'd like to use the circuit for the white drl that surround the headlight itself. How did you determine that the white with green stripe is the HI beam wire?

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Eltaco, did you ever get a wiring diagram? I'm planning to tap into one of the headlight harness wires as well, but I'd like to use the circuit for the white drl that surround the headlight itself. How did you determine that the white with green stripe is the HI beam wire?

I haven’t been fortunate enough to find a wiring diagram, and I still don’t know for sure which wire is the DRL. Haven’t had time to mess with it this week

I read someone online say White with Green was the HI beam so figured it was something to go off of and just gave it a shot. Tapped into that wire and confirmed it. I don’t really want to go tapping wires to see if I get lucky on the DRL though.

Surely there must be a few fuses that have power only while the vehicle is running, right? I’d rather jump off of one of the fuses under the hood than try contort my body to reach that headlight harness again!

MissViolet

Reaction score
I just ordered a light bar and am being quote 3 hours at the due to needing to make a wiring harness to ensure the light bar doesn’t try to come on with the DRL’s. I’m not very familiar with this sort of stuff and am curious what you used to wire the light bar into the Hi Beam without the DRL option in. I’m always worried about being overcharged lol trust issues maybe 🤔 :ROFLMAO: Thank you.

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just ordered a light bar and am being quote 3 hours at the due to needing to make a wiring harness to ensure the light bar doesn’t try to come on with the DRL’s. I’m not very familiar with this sort of stuff and am curious what you used to wire the light bar into the Hi Beam without the DRL option in. I’m always worried about being overcharged lol trust issues maybe :ROFLMAO: Thank you.

I guess that depends what all they’re doing. Is the light bar already installed and they only need to prepare the wiring? 3hrs is probably too much. If they’re installing the light bar and wiring, 3hrs seems extremely reasonable. I am sure I have far more than 3hrs into creating the bracket, mounting the bar, and connecting the wiring.

krd820

Reaction score
Eltaco, do you by chance have a write up about how you did your install? I am new to adding light bars and yours works exactly like I want mine to.

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Eltaco, do you by chance have a write up about how you did your install? I am new to adding light bars and yours works exactly like I want mine to.

Hey guys, I wanted to share the lighting controller I’m using in case it’s of any value to this crew. I’ve installed a Garmin PowerSwitch to manage my outputs. The PowerSwitch connects to my phone via Bluetooth, and can be controlled by App or automatically via either of two control inputs. For example, I hooked my full light bar brightness to my high beam control input, and my DRL light bar up to my DRL control input. I can disable either input via the App. Most importantly, I don’t have any need to wire through the firewall or install a switch panel inside my cab.

Don’t mind the wiring, I could use to tidy it up a bit, but here’s my PowerSwitch install.
c21266479298f1e6dc4d1dead51e02aa.jpg

01f51c0b764bf84bb6a65aa493c7e279.jpg

Rr245

Reaction score
Update for anyone interested:

White/green : Hi Beams
White/blue : Low beams
White/Orange : White Halos
Do the same color wires apply for non led headlights? I’d like to know what wire is for low beam on driver’s side halogen lights to activate relay for halogen fog lights. Any knowledge would be appreciated. Thanks!

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do the same color wires apply for non led headlights? I’d like to know what wire is for low beam on driver’s side halogen lights to activate relay for halogen fog lights. Any knowledge would be appreciated. Thanks!

Sorry, I don’t have the answer to that question. I have no experience with anything other than the LEDs on my Laramie.

flaboater

Reaction score
Sorry, I don’t have the answer to that question. I have no experience with anything other than the LEDs on my Laramie.
Do you happen to know which color wire is for the amber running light? My light bar has yellow led and I want to tap off that wire to trigger relay. Thanks

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, and sorry for missing your question.

The white LED DRL strips above and below the headlight beams.

Reaction score
Has anyone had the white halos top and bottom stop working?
My driver-side top and bottom quit working.
On the passenger side, the bottom quit working.
But blinks when you start the truck.

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Has anyone had the white halos top and bottom stop working?
My driver-side top and bottom quit working.
On the passenger side, the bottom quit working.
But blinks when you start the truck.

Never had that happen, but could be a signal that a control module has fault. I had an ambient temperature sensor completely out of whack… like 20-70F off of actual, then suddenly my turn signal quit working. Thankfully both aspects were controlled by the BCM, and the dealer swapped it out. Haven’t had a problem since.

Users who are viewing this thread