5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Led headlight upgrades

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It appears you have a background (education, engineering background, experience, own a business selling LEDs, etc.) which makes you an expert on LEDs. Please enlighten all us exactly how his LED headlight bulbs are “built the EXACT same as I’d the other $50 LED headlight bulbs.” Also, you might enlighten us as to how an LED is supposed to be built which makes it far superior to the others on the market.
My friend, it just comes down to past experiences. In the past I've spent around $90-100 dollars on a pair of led headlights that ended up burning out within a couple months, I've also bought led headlights for $36 that lasted years all the way up to when I traded the vehicle in with never any problems. Take a look these headlights and then look at some on Amazon for 1/3 of the price....they are literally constructed the exact same way. Even if the internals are SLIGHTLY different...the heat dissapation on all of them are the same because theres only two ways for a led circuitry to stay cool...either with a fan, or large heat sink. Which means they're built the same way.

Bighorned

Reaction score
my cyclops adventure sports LED's which were 150 for the pair are built a lot different then 30 dollar amazon ones. Sorry to say it guys but the type of led used the chipset, the way its positioned, the heatsink etc are all factors on lifespan and how accurate the light line and output is. YES there are some companies offering cheaper alternatives that will last a while and are decent quality which there is nothing wrong with and there ARE some companies that are overcharging.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
my cyclops adventure sports LED's which were 150 for the pair are built a lot different then 30 dollar amazon ones. Sorry to say it guys but the type of led used the chipset, the way its positioned, the heatsink etc are all factors on lifespan and how accurate the light line and output is. YES there are some companies offering cheaper alternatives that will last a while and are decent quality which there is nothing wrong with and there ARE some companies that are overcharging.
Nowadays they all use some sort of chipset...maybe that's why some people get very confused when shopping for led headlights...idk. to each their own but I always feel good about trying help others save money when they don't need to spend it.

Bighorned

Reaction score
Nowadays they all use some sort of chipset...maybe that's why some people get very confused when shopping for led headlights...idk. to each their own but I always feel good about trying help others save money when they don't need to spend it.
I agree. Hey if I can save a bunch of money on a product with good results im all for it. Im not poo pooing the cheap guys, ive seen some good ones and ive seen some really crappy ones with bad led placement which causes lack of a sharp cut off line etc. Its all word of mouth based on which one works for who and how well. Thanks for the info my friend.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My friend, it just comes down to past experiences. In the past I've spent around $90-100 dollars on a pair of led headlights that ended up burning out within a couple months, I've also bought led headlights for $36 that lasted years all the way up to when I traded the vehicle in with never any problems. Take a look these headlights and then look at some on Amazon for 1/3 of the price....they are literally constructed the exact same way. Even if the internals are SLIGHTLY different...the heat dissapation on all of them are the same because theres only two ways for a led circuitry to stay cool...either with a fan, or large heat sink. Which means they're built the same way.
Thanks. Understand your point of view now. I’ve learned to ask questions because I’ve learned a lot from guys on these forums and never hurts to understand where a fella is coming from. ...had one guy on a forum who I could not understand his point of view until I asked and he responded that he was an engineer for Daimler Chrysler (now retired) in Detroit.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks. Understand your point of view now. I’ve learned to ask questions because I’ve learned a lot from guys on these forums and never hurts to understand where a fella is coming from. ...had one guy on a forum who I could not understand his point of view until I asked and he responded that he was an engineer for Daimler Chrysler (now retired) in Detroit.
Lol I know what you mean, I'll only usually comment on something that I've had a lot of personal experiences with...vice versa...I've also learned a lot from others on here where my knowledge was lacking or where I needed ideas...such as how to get to my damn oil filter haha

MotoMoose68

Reaction score
Hi all I just purchased a 2021 ram 1500 bighorn it came with factory halogen bulbs I would like to upgrade to LED bulbs but I know dodge has that can bud system I was just wondering what bulbs did people use
I use Phillips Extreme Ultinon led bulbs for all my halogen to led upgrades. I just ordered 2 sets of the H11 versions for my lows and fogs and a HB3/9005 version for my highs.

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Go to headlightrevolution.com and see what they have available. Give them a call and they are great about what is best for your specific make/model. I have a Laramie, but have used Gtr ultra2 and the V.4 in other vehicles and liked them.

Pallman

Reaction score
Overpriced junk.
Sorry....no disrespect intended. But Lasfit literally is overpriced and has done nothing but cause issue with almost everyone that's tried using their products.
Buy LIGHTENING DARK H11 and 9005 to replace OEM Halogen in reflector headlights. I promise you will have adequate + lights afterward.

phillipcgp

Reaction score
I've done every light on my truck from Amazon. Maybe $130 total. Not a single issue. A little research goes a long way. Too many people buy brands just because someone else said they were the "go to".

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've done every light on my truck from Amazon. Maybe $130 total. Not a single issue. A little research goes a long way. Too many people buy brands just because someone else said they were the "go to".
And what brand did you purchase?

phillipcgp

Reaction score
Wasn't just one brand, id have to look but think maybe 6 or 7. Hikari did the fronts.

Pallman

Reaction score
(Amen, phillipcgp).
Read everything you can about the product, especially about the TOTAL LUMEN COUNT (per bulb). I have ALL Amazon replacements, $200 max) ~18 months old, not one issue.
Most application manufacturers carry low, medium and HIGH Lumen count light sets.
Pease take the time to adjust the height after install. Its not rocket science (counterclockwise raises)

Pallman

Reaction score
(Amen, phillipcgp).
Read everything you can about the product, especially about the TOTAL LUMEN COUNT (per bulb). I have ALL Amazon replacements, $200 max) ~18 months old, not one issue.
Most application manufacturers carry low, medium and HIGH Lumen count light sets.
Pease take the time to adjust the height after install. Its not rocket science (counterclockwise raises)
FYI, Amazon puts many of their LED's on sale on major holidays!

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
(Amen, phillipcgp).
Counterclockwise raises? Are you certain? I understood counterclockwise lowers the beam...no? Am about to do this tomorrow and want to be sure.

Billy70

Reaction score
Hi, I recently traded in my 19 loaded with LED's to the 21 with halogens. Not a fan and difficult to see at night. So I searched around for a while and go back and forth with wanting full new LED housings from Headlight Rev or the like or go with HR GTR Ultras but then I am still needing the turns/park, etc.. so that will get stupid expensive. I've been thinking of the Lasfits "whole package" but I need to know a thing or two to help make a decision.
* Which anti flicker modules does the low beams need? There are 2 options, one for $19 and change and another for $25
* Will the anti flicker module fit inside the headlight housing like the GTR's in the video HR has out?
* Does the high beam need an anti flicker module also and if so, would that too fit in the housing?

Sorry for the Q's. I did online chat with Lasfit but they didn't answer and opened a ticket to respond via email which who knows how long that can take.

Thanks

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hi, I recently traded in my 19 loaded with LED's to the 21 with halogens. Not a fan and difficult to see at night. So I searched around for a while and go back and forth with wanting full new LED housings from Headlight Rev or the like or go with HR GTR Ultras but then I am still needing the turns/park, etc.. so that will get stupid expensive. I've been thinking of the Lasfits "whole package" but I need to know a thing or two to help make a decision.
* Which anti flicker modules does the low beams need? There are 2 options, one for $19 and change and another for $25
* Will the anti flicker module fit inside the headlight housing like the GTR's in the video HR has out?
* Does the high beam need an anti flicker module also and if so, would that too fit in the housing?

Sorry for the Q's. I did online chat with Lasfit but they didn't answer and opened a ticket to respond via email which who knows how long that can take.

Thanks
What trim level are these going into?
For my Lone Star, I used Lasfit and there were no anti flicker modules.

I used the following:

D559C344-5038-4DFC-A31A-B1AEF3A8A8DC.jpeg 5D1234EB-EB73-4FF5-91BC-4C477CA7195C.jpeg D0624F75-E602-4C6D-99F4-31BDD8754D54.jpeg

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
And when you aim them, turn counterclockwise to lower the beam. I have instructions posted:

Users who are viewing this thread