5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LED Cargo Light Options

Tommy R

Reaction score
Hey folks,

Months ago I replaced the stock non-LED bulbs next to my third brake light. I'm referring to the ones that illuminate the bed from above. They look great, but are ridiculously bright. They're so bright that they're blinding. I'd rather not put the stock bulbs back in because I prefer the look of the LEDs, but does anyone know of some LEDs that aren't crazy bright that I could get? Also, I would consider tinting the clear lens on the housing to dim it, but not sure that'll work all that well.

FYI, these are the bulbs I'm running now:

Thanks!
Tommy

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I went straight for the best ones. Diode Dynamics.
Spend the $100 and get the trio (2 cargo, 1 brake light) and just be done with it.
They also don't affect the key FOB transmitter the way some other LED replacements do.

Tommy R

Reaction score
Thanks! If it comes down to it, I'll definitely go that route. What kind of key FOB issues are you referring to? I hadn't heard anything about it.

In the meantime, I took a small paint pen and colored the LED modules black on the bulbs. Looks better, but doubt it'll last given the head output of LEDs. We'll see....

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
There are tons of threads about it.

You will know if you have an issue down the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tommy R

Reaction score
And, as is typical, I type in "LED key fob" and literally get no results. *sigh* Anyway, I do have an issue where the key fob is sometimes not immediately recognized by the truck, but that was before I swapped the cargo lights to LEDs. All others were LED from the factory. Ah well, I'm taking it to the dealer soon anyway so I'll get them to check it out while it's there.

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I know sometimes the search results are not the best, but if you search for "LEDs fob" (minus the quotes) you will get results. You just have to try variations of the search terms to find what you're looking for, like many other search engines.

Examples:

I've been using the Diode Dynamics lights for a while now with no issues. I had some slightly brighter other-name-brand LEDs in there before, but was constantly having fob not recognized issues as well.

Bob.

Reaction score
From the recommended posts of Diode Dynamics, I ordered the 3RD brake light and cargo lights from Diode Dynamics. They are expensive bulbs but if they are as good as you're saying, I should be happy. I just finished the brake lights with LEDS so having the 3RD brake light brighter would be a smart thing. It just may help myself from getting rear ended, you never know.

tac63

Reaction score
Here ya go https://www.amazon.com/dp/B081YJ7G81?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details. Most don't report fob issues with them. I had the ones you currently have and compared to these and these aren't near as bright. I'm actually going the other way so I have the diode dynamics on order for brighter, but these bulbs above work, are LED, and are much dimmer. I would say maybe half as bright as your current ones.

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
From the recommended posts of Diode Dynamics, I ordered the 3RD brake light and cargo lights from Diode Dynamics. They are expensive bulbs but if they are as good as you're saying, I should be happy. I just finished the brake lights with LEDS so having the 3RD brake light brighter would be a smart thing. It just may help myself from getting rear ended, you never know.
An added bonus to the LED 3rd brake light, it actually comes on faster than an incandescent bulb does. Not by seconds, but faster. Pretty much instantly as you hit the brake pedal vs. like 1/3 of a second delay.

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just ordered a set of the Diode Dynamics XPR (720 Lumens), the cargo pair and the 3rd brake. Worried they might be a bit TOO bright but I just cannot stand that the whole outside of the truck is LED'ed out except for those bulbs. Hoping the installation is as smooth and easy as the vids make it look. Haven't seen anyone anywhere complain about Key FOB interference from these, so that's a relief.

Pocketchnge

Reaction score
2021 models,,, I have installed a pair of putco 360 led bulbs in my cargo light on my 2021 limited and haven’t had any key fob issues,,,it’s going on three weeks,, I have tried other bulbs in this truck like I had on my 2019 longhorn,,, apparently thier is something different in the 2021 I know that from personal experience,,, they are a little pricey but i was willing to try them because all I wanted was the cargo lights didn’t really need to update the whole assembly with the cargo light assembly with the camera,,,plus the extra wiring to get the camera to work,,, these bulbs are plenty bright,,,although they are a little bit longer than the regular factory non led bulb,, they have been working great for me,, I got mine from Amazon because they would arrive faster,, u can also buy them from the putco.com,,

Putco 340921W-360 Metal LED Bulb,​

Bob.

Reaction score
I finished putting in the Diode Dynamics 3RD brake light and cargo lights a few days ago. One cargo light didn't light up when I threw the switch, so I just flipped the bulb 180 degrees then the bulb was satisfied on the polarity. Wow those cargo light bulbs are amazingly bright!
I officially haven't driven the truck at night as I'm off this week, but everything is running fine. Also that 3RD brake light comes on now like the other LED tail lights, at the exact same time. With the brighter stop light LED bulbs. it might help me from getting rear ended in the future, so for me it's cheap insurance.

Modstang

Reaction score
Just ordered a set of the Diode Dynamics XPR (720 Lumens), the cargo pair and the 3rd brake. Worried they might be a bit TOO bright but I just cannot stand that the whole outside of the truck is LED'ed out except for those bulbs. Hoping the installation is as smooth and easy as the vids make it look. Haven't seen anyone anywhere complain about Key FOB interference from these, so that's a relief.
How are the cargo and brake lights working out on your 22, any issues with the key FOB?

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How are the cargo and brake lights working out on your 22, any issues with the key FOB?
Zero key FOB issues, and they look great! Match so much better with the rest of the lighting.

They are VERY bright but I would not say overwhelmingly so. Pretty much should have come from the factory like this.

upstatesc91

Reaction score
I finished putting in the Diode Dynamics 3RD brake light and cargo lights a few days ago. One cargo light didn't light up when I threw the switch, so I just flipped the bulb 180 degrees then the bulb was satisfied on the polarity. Wow those cargo light bulbs are amazingly bright!
I officially haven't driven the truck at night as I'm off this week, but everything is running fine. Also that 3RD brake light comes on now like the other LED tail lights, at the exact same time. With the brighter stop light LED bulbs. it might help me from getting rear ended in the future, so for me it's cheap insurance.
Do you have a link for the third brake light? Any pictures?

upstatesc91

Reaction score
Zero key FOB issues, and they look great! Match so much better with the rest of the lighting.

They are VERY bright but I would not say overwhelmingly so. Pretty much should have come from the factory like this.
Do you have a link for the third brake light? Any pictures?

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score

upstatesc91

Reaction score
No pics at the moment, can probably get some tomorrow. It looks sharp. Here's the exact one I got.

Thanks, look forward to seeing it! To clarify, if I am getting rid of the halogen lights in the third brake light/cargo light, do I need three bulbs? Or just one? Have not taken it apart yet.

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks, look forward to seeing it! To clarify, if I am getting rid of the halogen lights in the third brake light/cargo light, do I need three bulbs? Or just one? Have not taken it apart yet.
You will need 3 bulbs.

Users who are viewing this thread