5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LED Bedlight Wiring

knightro84

Reaction score
Just checking back to see if anyone had luck wiring in additional LED strips to the factory lights.
Thanks for any info. Looking for a new project while stuck at home.

I just installed these tonight: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KXR799K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have the factory bed lights. All I did was remove the tail lights to get to the wiring harness for the bed lights and wired them directly into that (just red to red and black to black). Works perfect - they come on with when the doors or tail gate opens, and turn off when closed. They also come on and off with the switch in the cab and with the switch on the factory lights.

IMG_4784.jpg
IMG_4785.jpg

FrankieG

Reaction score
I just installed these tonight: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KXR799K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have the factory bed lights. All I did was remove the tail lights to get to the wiring harness for the bed lights and wired them directly into that (just red to red and black to black). Works perfect - they come on with when the doors or tail gate opens, and turn off when closed. They also come on and off with the switch in the cab and with the switch on the factory lights.

View attachment 53018
View attachment 53019

That's exactly what I was looking to do. Looks great. Thank you so much for the info and pics. I now have a new project.

Rhombus

Reaction score
I was going to install bed lights but my Undercover Ultra came with an led strip on one side. It’s battery operated but it lights up the bed under the cover rather well and no wiring involved. I always keep a few Batteries in my console anyway. It’s not the best, but I found it to be sufficient.

funtrucker

Reaction score
added third party LED strips (pair of 60 inch) to my bed w/ tonneau cover. tapped into trailer tow positive wire (+), upper right wire (red). Works great $25 on Amazon. Not gonna add OEM bedlight, too expensive and only lights up rear of cargo area when tonneau conver installed. Switch mounted on drivers side coming out of stake hole.
Had to add a 3 ft length of wire to what was with strips to reach back of tow plug-in.

busa2009

Ram Guru
Reaction score

View attachment 53018
View attachment 53019

Nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mdrnsnyder

Reaction score

View attachment 53018
View attachment 53019
You wouldn't happen to have a pic of exactly the wires you tapped into to make the connection behind the tail lights would you? Would doing this void any warranty left on the vehicle? Thanks.

vinnieloo

Reaction score
added third party LED strips (pair of 60 inch) to my bed w/ tonneau cover. tapped into trailer tow positive wire (+), upper right wire (red). Works great $25 on Amazon. Not gonna add OEM bedlight, too expensive and only lights up rear of cargo area when tonneau conver installed. Switch mounted on drivers side coming out of stake hole.
Had to add a 3 ft length of wire to what was with strips to reach back of tow plug-in.
Is the trailer tow positive always on or is it keyed to the ACC/ON?

vinnieloo

Reaction score
Bummer. I ran a wire all the way from the battery. Oh well. Now i know and knowing is half the battle.

zlman

Reaction score
Bummer. I ran a wire all the way from the battery. Oh well. Now i know and knowing is half the battle.
You and I are in the same boat. I even checked the rear plug before, helps if you have voltage gauge on the right setting, duh.
Saw no power, so I ran a wire back. Later, in another thread, someone said there was constant power at the plug, I said there was not. They proved me wrong.....

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
You and I are in the same boat. I even checked the rear plug before, helps if you have voltage gauge on the right setting, duh.
Saw no power, so I ran a wire back. Later, in another thread, someone said there was constant power at the plug, I said there was not. They proved me wrong.....
For those who do not want to cut/tap into the factory harness, Curt (and possibly others) sells a 7 wire harness that connects on the truck side of the bumper between the existing plugs. The 7 wire harness is needed if you want constant power without tapping the OEM wires.
https://www.curtmfg.com/all-products/2019/ram/1500/37/5th+Wheel+Extension+Harnesses

Colton94

Reaction score

View attachment 53018
View attachment 53019
Is the wiring harness for the bedlights installed from the factory? Do you have any pics of where you wired the lights to behind the taillight?

FrankieG

Reaction score
Is the wiring harness for the bedlights installed from the factory? Do you have any pics of where you wired the lights to behind the taillight?

I installed these same bed lights. I tapped into the factory bed light wires by removing the driver side taillight and used t-tap wire connectors. You can easily see the wires going to the bed light switch.

antbatt13

Reaction score
I installed these same bed lights. I tapped into the factory bed light wires by removing the driver side taillight and used t-tap wire connectors. You can easily see the wires going to the bed light switch.
I'm guessing the factory bed light wires are only there if your truck came with the lights from the factory?

..stiffler..

Reaction score
Pretty cool ideas you guys have. I though wired to the trailer plug (marker lights) and drilled two 3/4 inch holes for LED lights and a weather proof toogle switch into the plastic covers where the factory lights would have been. They acutal work pretty well I can see the whole brd at night.
do you have any pics of this??

thanks

Stiff

Users who are viewing this thread