5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LED bed lights keep turning off

Challa

Reaction score
I installed two LED strips under the rails of my bed and wired them to the wire feeding power to the cargo light (white wire with brown trace). When I turn on the cargo light, the LEDs and cargo light flash, then go out.
I suspect I’m overloading a circuit and the cars computer is shutting it down.
Does anyone have advice on how to resolve this?

Edit by moderator: Removed spam link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
I installed two LED strips under the rails of my bed and wired them to the wire feeding power to the cargo light (white wire with brown trace). When I turn on the cargo light, the LEDs and cargo light flash, then go out.
mobdro kodi
Start by disconnecting the new lights and see if the problem disappears. It could be a circuit breaker tripping from overloading or you may have done real damage.

If it resolves, then you need to tap into the B+ wire for the trailer for a power source and install a relay that is triggered by the cargo light. The relay coil should draw hardly any current.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Start by disconnecting the new lights and see if the problem disappears. It could be a circuit breaker tripping from overloading or you may have done real damage.

If it resolves, then you need to tap into the B+ wire for the trailer for a power source and install a relay that is triggered by the cargo light. The relay coil should draw hardly any current.
What circuit breaker??? There is no circuit breaker. There are fuses for these circuits and if the fuse blew, it would not keep coming on and flashing.

Richard320

Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
What circuit breaker??? There is no circuit breaker. There are fuses for these circuits and if the fuse blew, it would not keep coming on and flashing.
Internal within the BCM

EDIT: Do you have anything constructive for the OP? Any diagnostic tips? Anything constructive to add?

The very first step is to undo what was done to see if the problem disappears. Or do you have a better idea?

Last edited:

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Internal within the BCM

EDIT: Do you have anything constructive for the OP? Any diagnostic tips? Anything constructive to add?

The very first step is to undo what was done to see if the problem disappears. Or do you have a better idea?
I am unaware of any BCM having internal circuit beakers that directly control the output to various electrical circuits. A BCM is like a traffic cop and directs communication signals to other devices to switch items on and off outside of the BCM. All electrical circuit current draw is regulated via the vehicles fuse panel (whether inside the cab or in the engine bay). I am no expert on the RAM 1500 BCM, but most all BCMs working in this way.

I would recommend checking the lights, fully disconnected from the vehicle, on a 12VDC power supply to see if they, themselves are functioning properly. If they have been proven to illuminate without any interruptions, I would connect them to either the factory bed light wiring (if so equipped), or run the wiring into the trailer connect (as you suggested) and buy the following to CURT harness to connect the power and then mount a weatherproof switch in the bed to activate or deactivate the lighting:

If you want to get just a bit "complicated", you certainly can use a weather resistant relay to route the power to the bed lighting from the CURT when the wire feeding the power from the cargo light is activated and energizes the relay. Several ways to skin this cat, but there is certainly something going on with the power source that the OP tapped into assuming the lights themselves are working correctly.

585nik585

Reaction score

mobdro kodi
I recommend connecting the factory bed lights as they are connected. there is an instruction for this. connect to body control unit. if you cannot find it on the Internet, then I will post a photo of which connector you need to use. parallel connection of a powerful consumer is causing your problem. or the easy way is to use a relay, but still have to pull the + wire from the source.

Jako

Reaction score
I am unaware of any BCM having internal circuit beakers that directly control the output to various electrical circuits. A BCM is like a traffic cop and directs communication signals to other devices to switch items on and off outside of the BCM. All electrical circuit current draw is regulated via the vehicles fuse panel (whether inside the cab or in the engine bay). I am no expert on the RAM 1500 BCM, but most all BCMs working in this way.

I would recommend checking the lights, fully disconnected from the vehicle, on a 12VDC power supply to see if they, themselves are functioning properly. If they have been proven to illuminate without any interruptions, I would connect them to either the factory bed light wiring (if so equipped), or run the wiring into the trailer connect (as you suggested) and buy the following to CURT harness to connect the power and then mount a weatherproof switch in the bed to activate or deactivate the lighting:

If you want to get just a bit "complicated", you certainly can use a weather resistant relay to route the power to the bed lighting from the CURT when the wire feeding the power from the cargo light is activated and energizes the relay. Several ways to skin this cat, but there is certainly something going on with the power source that the OP tapped into assuming the lights themselves are working correctly.
curt 56584 vs 56070
56584 is 5 pin - STANDARD CONNECTOR. The 5-flat trailer wiring can be used to connect trailer taillights, brake lights, reverse lights and turn signals.

56070 is 7 pin - power supply for trailer is included "
  • HEAVY-DUTY CONNECTOR. The 7-pin trailer wire extension can be used to connect trailer taillights, brake lights, reverse lights, turn signals, electric trailer brakes and an auxiliary power wire"

Users who are viewing this thread