5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LED accessory back up lights?

Mason1217

Reaction score
So, like others I find the backup camera at night to be useless. Its amazing clarity in daylight but totally sucks at night. I've been looking at adding some light to help improve night time camera quality, but I'm confused as to how they are powered? Do they plug into the standard plugs on the back of the truck where a trailer would? Or do they need to be wired separately to the taillights somehow? Now of the ones I've found explain that very well. Like these as an example. https://www.google.com/shopping/pro...&ved=0ahUKEwiEn5Hc1ITeAhWSUt8KHebUACAQgjYI4QQ

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Depends some plug into the plug(4 pin) on back but the only way you will get reverse light is if you wire it into your reverse light or if it has the 7 pin plug which has the reverse light built into the plug.
I know I have the Opt7 led bar on my current 2014 and I plugged it into the 4 pin but still had to run the wire and attach it to reverse light. It is plenty bright for me.

Jordan2929

Reaction score
You could splice a wire into the reverse light and run that to a relay so it doesn't give you a code, and you could power the relay off the battery power and ground wires on the 7-pin trailer plug. This would mean you still have access to both trailer plugs and just a cleaner install all together.

Mason1217

Reaction score
Thanks for the input, I just feel like it needs more light back there at night.

JamMastaJ

Reaction score

Attachments

• IMG_1836.JPG
    IMG_1836.JPG
    55 KB · Views: 607
  • IMG_1844.JPG
    IMG_1844.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 614
  • hopkins-7-way-plug-wiring-diagram-7-prong-trailer-wiring-diagram-inspirational-trailer-plug-wi...jpg
    hopkins-7-way-plug-wiring-diagram-7-prong-trailer-wiring-diagram-inspirational-trailer-plug-wi...jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 574
Last edited:

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I prefer using my mirrors, but the reverse lights offer zero side illumination. Ram should have used the turnsigal lens with led switchbacks it's a clear lens and would have put out great light for the sides and back. I haven't pulled the tail light yet to see if it's possible to easily retro, but from the out side it looks like the led tails are smd boards and not led bulbs could be wrong though.

jamesfg

Reaction score
You could splice a wire into the reverse light and run that to a relay so it doesn't give you a code, and you could power the relay off the battery power and ground wires on the 7-pin trailer plug. This would mean you still have access to both trailer plugs and just a cleaner install all together.

+1,000,000

This is the best way to get your lighting your looking for and will have zero chance of burning down your truck if you get a short or pinched wire.

cjmst23

Reaction score
Assuming I know NOTHING about wiring.... What clip / connector did you use to splice into the backup lights so the LEDs come on at the right time? And, what type of special wite went from the LEDs to that trailer light plug?
Thx for the help!

JamMastaJ

Reaction score
Here is a video that explains how to wire a trailer plug. I only connected the reverse light lead and ground lead on the plug to the led lights. Connect the + cable from the led lights to the reverse light lead on the plug. Connect the - cable from the led lights to the ground terminal on the plug. Very simple. I also used the same plug to run my bed lights. I ran a cable from the AUX lead in the trailer plug to a toggle switch mounted in my bed that allows me to turn the bed lights on and off even when the truck is not on.

I don't know if this is the "Right" way to do it. But i'm not too keen on splicing into the factory wiring of a brand new truck under warranty. This is temporary and can be reversed. I plan on running it permanently though.

Attachments

• hopkins-7-way-plug-wiring-diagram-7-prong-trailer-wiring-diagram-inspirational-trailer-plug-wi...jpg
    hopkins-7-way-plug-wiring-diagram-7-prong-trailer-wiring-diagram-inspirational-trailer-plug-wi...jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 303
  • IMG_1846.JPG
    IMG_1846.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 324
  • IMG_1845 (1).JPG
    IMG_1845 (1).JPG
    83.6 KB · Views: 301
  • IMG_1837.JPG
    IMG_1837.JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 287
  • IMG_1844 (1).JPG
    IMG_1844 (1).JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 278
Last edited:

cjmst23

Reaction score
Here is a video that explains how to wire a trailer plug. I only connected the reverse light lead and ground lead on the plug to the led lights. Connect the + cable from the led lights to the reverse light lead on the plug. Connect the - cable from the led lights to the ground terminal on the plug. Very simple. I also used the same plug to run my bed lights. I ran a cable from the AUX lead in the trailer plug to a toggle switch mounted in my bed that allows me to turn the bed lights on and off even when the truck is not on.

I don't know if this is the "Right" way to do it. But i'm not too keen on splicing into the factory wiring of a brand new truck under warranty. This is temporary and can be reversed. I plan on running it permanently though.

Great info.... I think I got it. Appreciate the response!

ewmyers76

Reaction score
This is great info. I yell every time i go to back up at night because there is horrible lighting on a 60k truck!! Did you create the connector? I wonder if i can just splice in to the correct with on the back side of the 7 pin plug. That was my plan with a Putco Blade i bought but it will not fit a 2019 ram.

Jordan2929

Reaction score
This is great info. I yell every time i go to back up at night because there is horrible lighting on a 60k truck!! Did you create the connector? I wonder if i can just splice in to the correct with on the back side of the 7 pin plug. That was my plan with a Putco Blade i bought but it will not fit a 2019 ram.
If you get one of these (linked below) you won't have to cut into the factory wiring, all you have to do is cut one of the plugs off this harness then you have all the wires you'd need and you wont have to worry about the factory wires corroding.
https://www.ebay.com/p/OEM-Trailer-...tter-40984/1734397677?iid=131330539877&chn=ps

Gravy12

Reaction score
Yes, if you search for it you should find my positive comments! I actually bought two more and installed on my other vehicle and travel trailer.
Which way did you go to tap into power?

Users who are viewing this thread