5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Leaving Ram for now

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hello all, the wife and I had to make the jump to an HD truck for our fun new toy we have being built right now. What a nightmare it is to try and find an HD truck. We couldn’t find what we wanted on a lot so we looked into ordering. Checked with multiple dealers for Ram, Chevy, GMC, and Ford. We are jumping right to a 1 ton because in MN the tabs are a flat $120 a year.

Ram, I really wanted to stay with a Ram cause I like them. I’ve owned 5 different Ram 1500’s and liked them all. I was at my Ram dealer today to make one last ditch effort on ordering one and he couldn’t even check the boxes for heated seats and wheel group or the premium headlight package. obviously they have no information on when that will change.

Ford, had decided I’d like the new 7.3/10 speed combo. Had 4 different dealer tell me they couldn’t guarantee that my truck would be built by the end of this year. This was because I wanted the XLT trim with the black appearance package and that had late availability.

Test drove a used 2020 Silverado and was actually very impressed with it and the wife liked it so we decided to order one how we wanted it. Waited all week for today because thursdays are when they place orders. All three dealers said they couldn’t order anything with the safety group. Well unfortunately I want the midnight edition which automatically selects the all star package which automatically selects the safety group. So I can’t get anything I want on the truck. So I start running through all the listed inventory on chevy’s website. Called on 6 trucks working my way out from closest to me. All of them sold already or on order and already sold. Then got lucky and came across one in a color that we weren’t considering. Dealer showed they had two, called and one of them was still available so I pounced on it. Has a few more options than we would have ordered but that’s ok.

this is the best forum I’ve ever been on. Been trying to find a good Chevy forum to join but no luck so far. i love the constant action here, the sharing of ideas and help you can get. Thank you to everyone. I’ll still check In from time to time. F7DE2CD4-633C-464F-8829-160746D6DD63.jpeg

Last edited:

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Congrats on your new truck. Sounds like you settled for this truck, but not necessarily in a bad way. I hope you're happy with it for many years to come. (y)

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Congrats on your new truck. Sounds like you settled for this truck, but not necessarily in a bad way. I hope you're happy with it for many years to come. (y)
Yes we did, was willing to wait for an ordered truck. but not being able to order what you want, and having no idea when it will change or how long it will take we started to panic a bit.

magnetized

Reaction score
Congrats on finally finding a truck, I would have gone with a 1500 in that color if I stayed with GM. I went to these 2 forums when I had Silverados (an 01 HD, 04 and 15 1500s).
Gm-trucks.com - good source of info for 14-up trucks, including HDs
Performancetrucks.net - mainly focuses on 1/2 ton gmt800s (99-07), but has some good info for other years

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Congrats on finally finding a truck, I would have gone with a 1500 in that color if I stayed with GM. I went to these 2 forums when I had Silverados (an 01 HD, 04 and 15 1500s).
Gm-trucks.com - good source of info for 14-up trucks, including HDs
Performancetrucks.net - mainly focuses on 1/2 ton gmt800s (99-07), but has some good info for other years
I have an account on there from years ago. Their website is kind of screwy right now and glitchy. I made a post on there on Monday and as of now still no replies. I’ll keep playing with it. Thanks

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nice Congrats. Can I ask how the transition from the Ram's interior to the chevy's is?
Haven’t picked it up yet, but I did test drive one. The interior is definitely not as nice as Ram, but it’s not crappy. This truck actually has more options than my current truck. I’m excited about the wireless apple car play and the power up and down tailgate. I will say the cab is huge. My one disappointment about Ram is they haven’t switched to the true 5th gen cab yet on the HD’s. I believe I read that the cab in this truck is comparable to the size of the mega cab.

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Color is nice. One of the few things GM does a good job with is colors.
Thanks, they have two options to not have chrome. One is the Z71 sport package which you can only get in Red, White, and this blue. Or get the midnight edition which is the same thing but only in black. Couldn’t find a black one that wasn’t already gone or pre sold. I’ve had nothing but black or Gray trucks my whole life so this a change but I like it

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m also really surprised it came stock with Michelin LTX A/T2’s. I know they are really good tires but I want something more aggressive and better in snow. We do a lot of ice fishing, and my Goodyear ultraterrains were so awesome on the lakes last winter. May have make a change there

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well, thought I’d update if anybody is interested. Flew out to Milwaukee on Monday to get my new truck and drive it home. Noticed immediately that something seems off with the steering or alignment. Since I was out of town and not familiar with the roads I decided to keep going and see if anything changed. Spent about an hour and a half driving on back roads and then 4 hours on the interstate. No question in my mind that something is off in the front end. So it’s already at one of my local dealers getting checked out.

Not a great experience with the new Silverado so far. It’s pulling to the right, feels like something is loose in the steering, and even a clunk sometimes. Hopefully they can get if figured out. If they try to tell me it’s normal I will lose my mind. Fingers crossed. It’s sad that I have so little faith in dealerships that my stomach is turning over getting something like this looked at. I guess the main reason I’m nervous is I had the selling dealer put K02’s on instead of the stock LTX AT2’s that came on it. But I can’t see how the tires could be causing any of the things the truck is doing

jcjohn

Reaction score
Well, thought I’d update if anybody is interested. Flew out to Milwaukee on Monday to get my new truck and drive it home. Noticed immediately that something seems off with the steering or alignment. Since I was out of town and not familiar with the roads I decided to keep going and see if anything changed. Spent about an hour and a half driving on back roads and then 4 hours on the interstate. No question in my mind that something is off in the front end. So it’s already at one of my local dealers getting checked out.

Not a great experience with the new Silverado so far. It’s pulling to the right, feels like something is loose in the steering, and even a clunk sometimes. Hopefully they can get if figured out. If they try to tell me it’s normal I will lose my mind. Fingers crossed. It’s sad that I have so little faith in dealerships that my stomach is turning over getting something like this looked at. I guess the main reason I’m nervous is I had the selling dealer put K02’s on instead of the stock LTX AT2’s that came on it. But I can’t see how the tires could be causing any of the things the truck is doing
Hopefully just an alignment job or something minor. X2 on these dealers not knowing how to service anything anymore. If I heard one more time that, "...it requires a software upgrade that isn't available yet..." I would've lost my mind with my former ecodiesel.

Good luck man, and make sure you get that Chevy undercoated and keep the brine under control. I'm in Iowa and the Chevys around here rust out before anybody else.

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hopefully just an alignment job or something minor. X2 on these dealers not knowing how to service anything anymore. If I heard one more time that, "...it requires a software upgrade that isn't available yet..." I would've lost my mind with my former ecodiesel.

Good luck man, and make sure you get that Chevy undercoated and keep the brine under control. I'm in Iowa and the Chevys around here rust out before anybody else.
Thanks. Yeah this truck actually has the full protection package on it. Already ceramic coating on the paint and wheels, full rust proofing and undercoating. Even has the interior protected for seats and all dash material. Everything is warranties for 7-10 years depending on what part of the truck.

jcjohn

Reaction score
Thanks. Yeah this truck actually has the full protection package on it. Already ceramic coating on the paint and wheels, full rust proofing and undercoating. Even has the interior protected for seats and all dash material. Everything is warranties for 7-10 years depending on what part of the truck.
Awesome man and congrats on the new truck!

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I hope you get those issues ironed out. Congrats on the new truck though! I used to be a Chevy guy. I keep telling myself I'll go back some day, but they aren't making anything I like more than what Ram is making.

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I hope you get those issues ironed out. Congrats on the new truck though! I used to be a Chevy guy. I keep telling myself I'll go back some day, but they aren't making anything I like more than what Ram is making.
Yeah I get it. My first two trucks were a Sierra and then a Silverado. I‘ve had Rams for the last 10 years. If the HD Rams had the new DT cab I would have been adamant about sticking with Ram

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Yeah I get it. My first two trucks were a Sierra and then a Silverado. I‘ve had Rams for the last 10 years. If the HD Rams had the new DT cab I would have been adamant about sticking with Ram
I'm a fan of the HD Rams. If I actually had a need for an HD it would be a Ram. I like the fact that they're still using 4th gen sheet metal. Which means the Rambox option is still available on the 6'4" beds. The interiors are upgraded to 5th gen standards for the most part. And I just like how the package is put together. In the end it's about need versus availability though. You had a need, and Chevy best filled it at this time. It will be nice when all these shortages are resolved, but I think things are only going to get worse before they get better.

jcjohn

Reaction score
I'm a fan of the HD Rams. If I actually had a need for an HD it would be a Ram. I like the fact that they're still using 4th gen sheet metal. Which means the Rambox option is still available on the 6'4" beds. The interiors are upgraded to 5th gen standards for the most part. And I just like how the package is put together. In the end it's about need versus availability though. You had a need, and Chevy best filled it at this time. It will be nice when all these shortages are resolved, but I think things are only going to get worse before they get better.
You're absolutely right. There is very little supply and both new and used are super inflated. Case in point, when i picked up my truck on Saturday, there was a Demon on the lot a guy was coming all the way from Texas to pick up. The dealership had sold the Demon to a local guy for around $90k, and he traded for something else recently. They resold to the 2nd owner a very short time later for $110k. Things are just insane and people (myself included) are searching hard and driving long to get a vehicle that meets their needs.

Users who are viewing this thread