5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Leather Care

RT70808

Reaction score
Tried a new product the other day, it went on easy, leather drank it in, not oily of greasy and is supposed to provide UV protection. Interestingly I read somewhere “You can use a good leather product on plastic, but don’t ever use a plastic product on leather.” I used it all over took about 1/3 of the bottle.

B82C0DAA-00E6-4CD6-ABB6-205974E19689.jpeg

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
New leather cannot be "conditioned" unless it is not sealed with a protective top coat, which would be strange for automotive leather in a truck that sees abuse. Usually it's just going to leave residue on top, whether you see it or not, that attracts dust/dirt which effectively acts like sandpaper.

I use Colourlock mild leather cleaner followed by their leather protect, which adds a protection layer against color transfer and reduces friction. Until the leather is several years old or worn quite a bit, conditioning is not useful. UV protection is better accomplished with window tint and a dash sun shade. My guess is the factory glass on the high end trims already have sufficient UV protection, but never hurts to increase it either.

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
New leather cannot be "conditioned" unless it is not sealed with a protective top coat, which would be strange for automotive leather in a truck that sees abuse. Usually it's just going to leave residue on top, whether you see it or not, that attracts dust/dirt which effectively acts like sandpaper.

I use Colourlock mild leather cleaner followed by their leather protect, which adds a protection layer against color transfer and reduces friction. Until the leather is several years old or worn quite a bit, conditioning is not useful. UV protection is better accomplished with window tint and a dash sun shade. My guess is the factory glass on the high end trims already have sufficient UV protection, but never hurts to increase it either.
I agree couldn't have said it better. I was thinking this last night when I read this but just went to another thread instead.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is everyone agreed that the Ram "leather care" cardboard hanger on the passenger seat can be ignored? It states do not use anything other than wiping down with water, or something to that effect. There's got to be some maintenance required sometime?

RT70808

Reaction score
Is everyone agreed that the Ram "leather care" cardboard hanger on the passenger seat can be ignored? It states do not use anything other than wiping down with water, or something to that effect. There's got to be some maintenance required sometime?
My limited smelled like a new pair of boots and I’ll treat it like so. I don’t agree with the previous posts about leather being sealed and I don’t think my shoes, boots or my cobbler would either. Yes I have a cobbler in the year 2018. He resoles my leather bottomed dress shoes and boots every couple of years. It would be interesting to see 10 years from now who’s leather dashes have cracked and faded and who’s hasn’t.

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'd say that card is there for the lazy and/or uninformed. Better to tell customers to use soapy water than let them run off on their own & use some harsh cleaner that will damage the leather - I don't think there's any good Mopar branded stuff out there, or else they'd suggest that. The leather care card in the Grand Cherokee Summit I previously had w/ $5,000 signature leather package said the same thing... and that leather was "ski gray" aka damn near white. No way was soapy water keeping them clean and protected from color transfer/staining. If you have black leather, then realistically you can get away with very little upkeep as long as you aren't trashing your seats.

I've used a few products over the years. Colourlock (based in U.K., German-made products) is a company that specializes in leather upkeep & repair. They have a lot of free information they provide to customers on a variety of leathers. Their products are a bit expensive, but they work very well in my experience, to include cleaning & protecting the white polyurethane (aka "vegan leather") seats in my Tesla.

cw_mi

Reaction score
My limited smelled like a new pair of boots and I’ll treat it like so. I don’t agree with the previous posts about leather being sealed and I don’t think my shoes, boots or my cobbler would either. Yes I have a cobbler in the year 2018. He resoles my leather bottomed dress shoes and boots every couple of years. It would be interesting to see 10 years from now who’s leather dashes have cracked and faded and who’s hasn’t.
I use boot oil on my custom White's boots but i don't think the leather in our trucks is quite the same. While i do think it needs something, i'm not sure what it is.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

db682

Reaction score
I traded my 09 Laramie Sport for my new 19 Limited and the leather on the dash, seats and center console in the 09 looked like it was brand new. I've always used Lexol, Megiuars and Armorall products for leather care and they all seem to have really done a good job over the 10 years I owned the truck. I plan on doing the same with my new truck as well. It's leather so keeping it clean, conditioned and protected from to much sun and heat is the key.

Attachments

• 2009 Ram.jpg
    2009 Ram.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 67
  • 2019 Ram.jpg
    2019 Ram.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 72

Limited Bob

Reaction score
Has anybody used Lexol on the dash that can report on what it did to the texture of the leather. I like the dull finish and wouldn't want it to gloss up after application.

rrjjpp74

Reaction score
I tried it once and and it had a low gloss, now I just use warm water on it and Adams leather conditioner.

wingostar

Reaction score

This seems to be a well written and practical article on the subject...

Rambeaux

Reaction score
Griot's Garage 3 in 1 leather care in spray form is what I use. Cleans, conditions, protects & is perfect for new or maintained leather. I've used it on the dash, seats, console lid, doors, steering wheel, everywhere leather. Don't necessarily use it on the suede because of the properties of it but I do a light "pass" with what's left on the rag after I'm done with the entire seat. I keep a crepe brush in the truck for the suede but it's not the 1 & only option for it.

Pros : it works, easy to use, dries easy, doesn't leave residue, leaves behind a leather smell, & doesn't shine or oil up the surface.

A good leather conditioner will not change the appearance of leather.

Cons : I have to buy more.

kmj.1

Reaction score
I have tried most OTC leather care products in the past, but I once spoke to a few different regional Auto MFR representatives that deal with the local dealerships and their body shops, and they all told me the same thing. Most all modern interior cleaners will eventually damage your interior surfaces. I asked what they recommended. They all had the same response. Pledge. Standard. Classic. Lemon fresh Pledge. I have been using it for two years on different vehicles and it works pretty good. I use it on interior plastics, screens, and leather. Since the leather is top coated, all the pledge does is put a sacrificial thin layer of wax on top of it to protect it. Granted, I have ceramic tint on all my windows except the front where I put a sun shade to protect against UV. The pledge leaves a slight sheen initially allowing you to see where it was applied and then "dries" to a mat clean finish. It also helps to repel dust and prints. I sometimes use Endust, which I generally like more, but each product states right on the spray can that they can be used on autos and leather. On other cleaners/conditioners I have used in the past, they tend to leave a residue on the surface and change its color or appearance. When its hot the others typically will produce a film on the glass. I don't seem to have that problem with the pledge or Endust products.

What's everyone's opinion on this approach?

PS: I also had a body shop that is considered one of the best in my area, tell me that he puts pledge on ALL the exterior surfaces of his vehicles right after washing. Paint, plastic, glass, & chrome. It acts as a drying & polishing agent. It shines the car. It provides a layer of protection against bugs, dust, and other fallout. He says that when its starts getting dirty again, he just Easily wipes the bugs and dust off and re-pledges it again. Everything comes off easily as it is caught in the pledge wax and floats to the top. He also uses it as a very quick detailer. I haven't tried this yet, but he swears by it.

WDYT?

thanks!

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've heard the stories about Pledge as well...have not tried it myself.

Definitely gives a great glossy shine for show days I presume.

Durability would be my concern thus the need for other products.

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have tried most OTC leather care products in the past, but I once spoke to a few different regional Auto MFR representatives that deal with the local dealerships and their body shops, and they all told me the same thing. Most all modern interior cleaners will eventually damage your interior surfaces. I asked what they recommended. They all had the same response. Pledge. Standard. Classic. Lemon fresh Pledge. I have been using it for two years on different vehicles and it works pretty good. I use it on interior plastics, screens, and leather. Since the leather is top coated, all the pledge does is put a sacrificial thin layer of wax on top of it to protect it. Granted, I have ceramic tint on all my windows except the front where I put a sun shade to protect against UV. The pledge leaves a slight sheen initially allowing you to see where it was applied and then "dries" to a mat clean finish. It also helps to repel dust and prints. I sometimes use Endust, which I generally like more, but each product states right on the spray can that they can be used on autos and leather. On other cleaners/conditioners I have used in the past, they tend to leave a residue on the surface and change its color or appearance. When its hot the others typically will produce a film on the glass. I don't seem to have that problem with the pledge or Endust products.

What's everyone's opinion on this approach?

PS: I also had a body shop that is considered one of the best in my area, tell me that he puts pledge on ALL the exterior surfaces of his vehicles right after washing. Paint, plastic, glass, & chrome. It acts as a drying & polishing agent. It shines the car. It provides a layer of protection against bugs, dust, and other fallout. He says that when its starts getting dirty again, he just Easily wipes the bugs and dust off and re-pledges it again. Everything comes off easily as it is caught in the pledge wax and floats to the top. He also uses it as a very quick detailer. I haven't tried this yet, but he swears by it.

WDYT?

thanks!

I think it is line very much with the quick tricks and tips many dealers employ that are low cost and designed for temporary gain only( no offense to any dealers online).

There are numerous good quality, ph neutral, leather cleaners out there that will not hurt your interior. There are more that will offer you that "sacrificial" layer as well if you want to try that route on top of your coated leather. I like to multipurpose things when possible. In fact, I just used Lemon Pledge when building a pinewood derby car with my son. But for car detailing products, I'm generally a firm believer in choosing something specifically designed for the task at hand.

Will Lemon Pledge hurt your interior? I have no opinion on that. Clearly it hasn't hurt yours so far, so it could be completely fine and could also work exactly for what you are intending. It just isn't something I would ever do with so many other options out there designed for the job, at reasonable costs.

kmj.1

Reaction score
Any recommendations on best interior care for panels and leather?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Any recommendations on best interior care for panels and leather?

Carpro Perl for interior/exterior vinyl/rubber (dilution is different depending on use). Aero 303 is also good for this.

For genuine leather you can use the Carpro leather to do ultimate ceramic coat protection...I did this on my seats/seat backs.

For the leather trim on the doors/dash I just use a semi wet rag that is lint free to do a wipe down and then when it dries I use a good leather conditioner/protectant. My favorite right now is Chemical Guys Sprayable leather.

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Echoing Timeless, I do like Aero 303 leather. I haven't used Carpro Perl yet, but I have many of their products and trust it is pretty good. They are awesome about answering any questions you might have on process as well. There are several new threads on autogeek forum right now on leather, and Mike Phillips just did an in depth review as well. I've been let down by Chemical Guys too many times to fully recommend them, although I have several of their products still that I like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online

Members online