5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lease vs Buy Opinions

Redfour5

Reaction score
Someone noted do the numbers. I leased for the first time on my 2015 Outdoorsman because they had a multiple thousands of dollar incentive for leasing vs purchase associated with the lender on top of RAM incentives. There were poison pills in the lease like the 10K mile per year limitation and you pay 25 cents a mile over at the end of the lease. They also had a pre-end of lease kicker so you paid more if you paid off early. I didn't even see that one until about six months before the end. There are some calculators out there that can help you do the numbers. Example, look at more than one though... https://www.edmunds.com/calculators/lease-vs-buy-calculator/ and read the articles associated with them.

I did the math out to the end of the lease and purchase and it beat the pants off of a purchase IF AND I REPEAT IF you bought out the lease. It had a 10K miles per year mileage limitation. So, I leased put my money in the bank and ran the lease out and bought it. Just as I planned. I got a great deal on it. Things to watch for include, if you pay it off early it will cost more than just going to the end of the lease. I tried. If you try to trade before the end of the lease, the dealer gets a payoff higher than your payoff and its four figures different. So, you will get screwed on a trade. I tried it AFTER confirming my pay off. I confronted the salesman on it and they told me how it works. I called the lease holder and they danced around but finally confirmed they were not the same with a lot of mumbo jumbo. So, I just held on and paid it off at the end for the exact amount on our contract. IF, you can do this kind of approach and have the resources to buy at the end, on your own terms, you can make out...sometimes like a bandit, but if you don't, watch out or you will get the screws in the end...

Last edited:

bud007

Reaction score
i agree with what Redfour5 stated above . another thing to keep in mind is that some dealers/automakers will not negotiate at the end of the lease on purchase price ,i did try with infiniti and they said they do not negotiate on the purchase price at the end of the lease , its the main reason i walked away from that car.
So if you are planning on buying it at the end of the lease you should definately do your homework.

BluegrassMotorsport

Reaction score
I thought about a lease but after running the numbers, I'm going to have way too much equity in to worry about it. Purchasing will end up being the same or a little cheaper monthly, plus I'll owe it with no mileage restrictions and I'm free to mod as I please. Rates are low enough to go 72 months and just pay it off early.

Looking at the production schedule; if I get in line now, I'm probably not going to be in a truck until November or December and I don't want to get a new truck delivered in the middle of salt season. So I'll probably wait and order in the Fall or early Winter so I can time my delivery around March, and keep stacking a down payment in the meantime. That is, unless I find one on a lot optioned how I want before then. We'll see.

Does anyone know if Mark CDJR gives similar discounts to vehicles on the lot as they do for an order? I got a quote for an order but I noticed the ones in inventory online aren't discounted as much - as least that's how they advertise them.

Users who are viewing this thread